• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

On road trip-just got the phone call!

Just this evening ,6 PM Eastern, I received a call from my selling Dealer in Louisville KY ( Harley Dealer First) and informed me of the stop ride order! On a road trip from Indiana to Colorado! When did this "No
Ride Order" come down! From reading the posts it looks like Thursday, the day I departed Indiana for Colorado! I just got the call! What's up with that! Dealer told me he had many, many serial numbers to review and just discovered my bike was involved! I asked, how many bikes have you sold that are involved, answer, 3! So I ask! Does the Dealer really give a ****! Does BMW really give a ****! Could BMW be a division of GM? Don Miller. 2014RTW

Contact with Corporate

I tried emailing corporate today. I made a pretty simple inquiry asking what the problem was and the timeline to resolve; I also mentioning that I had travel plans. I would like to know if anyone else talks to or hears back from corporate and what they learned. Hopefully this 'contact corporate' thing isn't just a diversionary tactic.

Dealer Response

Just this evening ,6 PM Eastern, I received a call from my selling Dealer in Louisville KY ( Harley Dealer First) and informed me of the stop ride order! On a road trip from Indiana to Colorado! When did this "No
Ride Order" come down! From reading the posts it looks like Thursday, the day I departed Indiana for Colorado! I just got the call! What's up with that! Dealer told me he had many, many serial numbers to review and just discovered my bike was involved! I asked, how many bikes have you sold that are involved, answer, 3! So I ask! Does the Dealer really give a ****! Does BMW really give a ****! Could BMW be a division of GM? Don Miller. 2014RTW

I believe all dealers where told to call anyone who had the ESA on the new 14'RT (which is practically everyone), so all your dealer had to do was to look at who bought the 3 bikes and give them a call. He either wasn't paying attention or maybe doesn't keep good records. A couple of dealers were just slow to respond, but I think most got the calls out pretty quick.

Also if you are still on the road have BMW buy you a ticket home and transport your bike as well.

And remember what the Oracle said to Neo ' just have one of those chocolate chip cookies and you will forget all about it in the morning' :whistle

I think anyone with a trip underway or planned will take this pretty hard. I know I have one coming up and it will be really disappointing not to take the new bike.

Last edited:
Question about describing it as a 'recall' at this point. Clearly that is where it is headed from what I have read; however, checking the recall sites for:

CA : http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/menu.aspx?lang=eng
US : http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues
UK : http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp
EU : http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/safety/rapex/alerts/main/index.cfm?event=main.search
AU : http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/952843

None list this issue as I post this. Do you have a source that I am not aware of? For all sorts of reasons I would like to know it.

While it does not excuse the underlying issues that need to be addressed and may point to the seriousness of the issue; given that recalls and the process to deal with the customer service issues take time for a company to put together. At this point in a recall process the line between a diligent concerned company acting in good faith and that of a low life gutter slime outfit is way to narrow for me to shoot. Until the shot is clearer I would spend more time getting clear information and staying safe. Obviously YMMV

BMW preemptively contacted customers and is preparing the recall filing. See the attachment from post #64, this is what BMW has emailed to me as well. I think it explains everything that has been communicated up to this point.

Recall

I rode my 2014 from Phoenix Medico and to Casper Wyoming, 2 up with luggage, in heat, across the million dollar highway in the very cold temperatures, past Montrose, Colorado, in the very heavy wind and rain of Rawlins, Wyoming and home. I didn't speed that I remember, but I sometimes rode aggressively. Since then, I have ridden on very hot days. It seems that, if the suspension was going to break, that it had it's chance. Is this a manufacturing issue that is exposed by fatigue? Two failures on 8000 bikes gives me much better odds that I've had in awhile with other issues.

Recall

I'd like to recall that word, I meant Mexico. I road into Mexico and back. How's that for a quick fix?

Good luck tomorrow ladies and gents!

Florida Lemon Law does not cover motorcycles. Worst case scenario for us, I guess, is to allow a voluntary repo of the bike if no other relief comes from BMW. Anyone choosing that option should buy another (non-BMW) bike before doing the repo and ruining your credit.

Indiana Lemon Law does not cover motorcycles. However, the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that the manufacturer of any product, from your toaster to your lemon motorcycle, must abide by the warranty. Unlike the Indiana Lemon Law for new cars, which allows you to go into arbitration if the manufacturer requires it, you need to sue the manufacturer and/or dealer of your motorcycle in a court of law. The window of time to initiate a lawsuit is small, so speak to a Lemon Law attorney if your motorcycle has been in the shop three times for the same problem. If your case is successful, the manufacturer will have pay for attorneys' fees, so you shouldn't have to pay for representation.

Above is from a "legal" web site. In genera,l it appears to be a potentially long and up hill battle should one eventually choose such route.

Looks like it will take all summer for a fix

BMW corporate is saying that the current estimated date is August for a recall and the fix will come after that.:banghead In other words, no update until August. They say that they can provide loaner, but I will see how that works out as I have not yet discussed with the local dealer. Maybe there is a bright side, I could put a million miles on a loaner and once my bike is drivable I have a fresh engine. Any other North American 14'RT owners up for a trip to Alaska?:scratch

They answered the phone in <5 minutes, were polite and seem to be trying to make things right. So far I am cautiously optimistic.

Man, but I will really miss riding the 14'RT.

BMW corporate is saying that the current estimated date is August for a recall and the fix will come after that.:banghead In other words, no update until August.

Ouch.

109418 said:
They say that they can provide loaner
I wonder how this will work out. A lot of small dealers do not have loaners.

Ouch.

I wonder how this will work out. A lot of small dealers do not have loaners.

If the owner lives in a state with a lemon law for bikes and a loaner can't be provided or the owner doesn't want to accept a loaner, could BMW be forced to buy it back since there will apparently be at least 2 months before a fix will happen?

Same Info.

BMW corporate is saying that the current estimated date is August for a recall and the fix will come after that.:banghead In other words, no update until August. They say that they can provide loaner, but I will see how that works out as I have not yet discussed with the local dealer. Maybe there is a bright side, I could put a million miles on a loaner and once my bike is drivable I have a fresh engine. Any other North American 14'RT owners up for a trip to Alaska?:scratch

They answered the phone in <5 minutes, were polite and seem to be trying to make things right. So far I am cautiously optimistic.

Man, but I will really miss riding the 14'RT.
That is the same info I got. If they are still making bikes why not pull shocks off the line and send them out. If they are still making bikes then a fix has been found or is manufacturing on hold also?

No Shocks

That is the same info I got. If they are still making bikes why not pull shocks off the line and send them out. If they are still making bikes then a fix has been found or is manufacturing on hold also?

From what I can tell there is only *one* manufacturer of ESA shock that will fit this bike and they totally muff'd it up. I don't expect any RTs are being manufactured, but that's just speculation on my part.

yea, but if the list by VIN and manufacture date posted earlier is correct, the recalled units end in April of 2014............and that leaves plenty of units being manufactured after that date, including my ebony beauty. I'm still trying to verify that the list is the limits of the problem and subsequent units have been manufactured with a corrected shock.
ama

I called BMW today and spoke with a pleasant young lady who couldn't answer any of my questions. I specifically asked if the replacement part currently exists or is in development, she did not know. When I asked about a loaner, she referred me to the dealer, who already told me "no loaner" and referred me to BMW. If this is really going to be an all summer deal, absent any attempt by BMW to make things right, voluntary repo is starting to sound like a viable alternative.

I am Pissed

I am so pissed over this if it would not hurt my credit I would tell BMW just come and pick up your paper weight. I used their Easy Ride Program to finance the bike. I plan on putting together a plan outlining the payment, property tax/license fee and insurance cost. I plan on telling BMW they owe me x number of dollars per day for every day I can not ride to cover the cost of ownership. Also, with all this going on our bikes will be devalued in the future. How much? I don't know but I am going to estimate $2000.00. Any thoughts on this plan?

Lou

Back