• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

This is a bit more than a recall. I also suspect that BMW has been among the leaders in the number of recalls the past few years; my 08 R12R is on its fourth.

A "few" recalls and non recalled problems:

Valve recession
Wheel recalls
Fuel strips failures
Antenna ring failures
Axle torques
Case torques
Shaft splines failures
Water pumps failures
Handlebar switches failures
Final drives failures
Side stand switch failures
Fuel pump connectors

Are just some of the Quality Control issues over the last 30 years. Not many were, "immediately park the bike" issues, but a number could leave you stranded in your garage, at a Walmart parking lot or 4,000 miles from home. I'm sure all bike manufacturers have failures, but I'm not sure they have as many as BMW...especial given the premium cost of BMW bikes. Which certainly tells me, the extra premium paid for their bikes doesn't go to quality selection of parts and the suppliers. Rather it goes to new innovative "options" (and profits) no one really asked for, but add to their complexity. The cost for this "exclusiveness" is starting to out weigh its benefits...especially when the new $22,000 plus motorcycle sits...waiting for details of why, when and how.

Well, it's 2 PM on a Friday in Germany, any new news on this URGENT plight? I'm sure Hans was up all night figuring this out. THIS could be a real decision maker for current and repeat future brand purchases.

I remember the antenna ring failures from a few years back. Delivered one RT to a guy who only got 15 miles away before it failed, leaving him stranded. I was only 6 miles from home when mine failed at 836 miles on a new '08. Took quite a while before BMW came up with a replacement "that worked". Worked well enough that you didn't have to carry a spare with you. I recall the BMW Rep saying it would take a couple of years for that memory to fade, but it wouldn't really hurt sales over time. Not so sure about this current situation, at least not for me.

The list may be incomplete or only for American bikes. My VIN isn't on the list but my Canadian dealer called me today and told me to park her.
Hadn't thought about that. Has anyone heard whether GS models are affected as well? They have dynamic ESA as an option too.

I've seen the same list referred to above elsewhere (on the LT site) and it struck me as pretty abbreviated. As far as I know, there's been no modification or narrowing of BMW Motorrad's instruction to dealers to park all ESA-equipped 2014 RTs.

I think the wisest course of action--at least until BMW advises otherwise--is to heed the broader warning.

May be mistaken but I cannot remember BMW ever ordering airhead owners to park their bikes because of a recall. Is the breed actually improving?

Hadn't thought about that. Has anyone heard whether GS models are affected as well? They have dynamic ESA as an option too.

I check Real OEM, the part numbers are different and they look different in the provide pictures (I wouldn't put much on the pictures).

Before buying the bike I checked on the cost of aftermarket shocks such as Wilbers the price isn't too bad (about $2,000) but I'm not sure what the cost is for the new 2014RT.

Jay

while i have a 2013 RT.....thankfully....i would ask the question....

what precipitated this dramatic "cease and desist" riding order....who had a catastrophic failure and where....????

wyman

I check Real OEM, the part numbers are different and they look different in the provide pictures (I wouldn't put much on the pictures).

Before buying the bike I checked on the cost of aftermarket shocks such as Wilbers the price isn't too bad (about $2,000) but I'm not sure what the cost is for the new 2014RT.

Jay

I believe the suspension on the ESA GSW's are OEM'd by Ohlins and the RT OEM is Marzocchi - at least on the front, can't really see the rear shock very well.

while i have a 2013 RT.....thankfully....i would ask the question....

what precipitated this dramatic "cease and desist" riding order....who had a catastrophic failure and where....????

wyman

BMW has indicated that it was reported by the supplier of the component. One can imagine that it may be something like "We noticed in production that some of the shafts were not heat treated properly, we have no idea which ones were and which ones were not."
Just a reasoned guess, BMW and/or the supplier (Sachs??) may never speak about the details of the problem, although it (failure of the component) obviously can have serious consequences.

My boss bought a new, $30K, Super-Duper-Ultra Glide Rushmore "wet head" Harley about a month before I got the RT. Just before Bike Week Harley issued a "Do Not Ride" on it for a potential brake failure. He wasn't happy then but everything worked out (so far). Hopefully we'll have a good experience in the end, but it sure makes me second guess not getting the FJR instead.

RickeyG

I wonder if it was the new technology that failed or was it a poorly built part? If it was the latter this could happen on any bike.

Jay

BMW has indicated that it was reported by the supplier of the component. One can imagine that it may be something like "We noticed in production that some of the shafts were not heat treated properly, we have no idea which ones were and which ones were not."
Just a reasoned guess, BMW and/or the supplier (Sachs??) may never speak about the details of the problem, although it (failure of the component) obviously can have serious consequences.
This was basically the same thing with the chain on my F800GS. They were not sure if the metalurgy was good so the chain was recalled. BMW did chains and some sprockets.
My guess is this went "big" due to the possibility of fluid getting on the tire.
OM

There goes the summer

Can't wait to hear what the lawyers say (my first payment is due in July). I will be most unhappy about the bike sitting in the garage all summer with only 2200 miles on it. Then, maybe it will turn out not to be as bad as it sounds, sometimes corporate leadership has a knee jerk reaction (when corporate legal barks) until they get a handle on what really happened. I can't find where any bike and rider actually suffered a problem, but my wife took the keys.

Just talked to a friend who got the same recall notification, they said something when he got the 600 mile service about having to replace the sensor on the rear shock....maybe related?

A "few" recalls and non recalled problems:

Are just some of the Quality Control issues over the last 30 years. Not many were, "immediately park the bike" issues, but a number could leave you stranded in your garage, at a Walmart parking lot or 4,000 miles from home. I'm sure all bike manufacturers have failures, but I'm not sure they have as many as BMW...especial given the premium cost of BMW bikes. Which certainly tells me, the extra premium paid for their bikes doesn't go to quality selection of parts and the suppliers. Rather it goes to new innovative "options" (and profits) no one really asked for, but add to their complexity. The cost for this "exclusiveness" is starting to out weigh its benefits...especially when the new $22,000 plus motorcycle sits...waiting for details of why, when and how.

I believe BMW has switched their priorities over the last decade or so from quality, to being innovators of new technology, sometimes just for the sake of doing something new. A good example would be the servo assisted "whizzer" brakes. An answer to a question no one was asking. I have had my 06 rt for 4 years now and I still can't figure out what the BMW engineers were thinking when they came up with that brilliant idea. Talk about adding complexity with no benefit.

Just wondering...

Is it possible we could be overreacting about a summer of doom and gloom? My new 2014 RT had less than 200 miles on it when I was encouraged to park it yesterday. While I'm probably no happier about situation than any other 2014 RT owner right now, I have to applaud the efforts of BMW and my dealer to inform me as soon as possible. In the context of recent automotive recalls (cover ups, negligence and people hurt or killed as a result), this was handled appropriately.

My dealer made every effort to contact every affected customer immediately, even though one press release I read stressed that no injuries had been reported. My dealer answered my questions about what could happen if the part did fail and the risk of riding it home. I scanned every forum and internet post I could find and inspected my shock twice for leakage (to the extent possible) before deciding to ride mine home from work yesterday (15 miles on the slowest, smoothest roads I could manage). I still haven't seen a single report of accidents or injuries related to this problem.

Not only that, but when I dropped off my 2009 RT for service this afternoon, my dealer told me that they were organizing a campaign to pick up all of the affected 2014 RTs they had sold - possibly as early as next week for some of us. So I don't think mine will be sitting in my garage all summer. While I hope it won't sit at the dealership all summer either, the fact that it's there means they'll be able to remediate sooner rather than later the moment the parts do arrive. I'm pleased that my dealer is being as proactive as possible on my behalf.

I would encourage everyone to maintain regular contact with their dealer. They don't have all the answers yet either, but they certainly our best resource for getting information. I value the relationship I have with my dealer. The dealer isn't responsible for creating the problem, but they will play a critical role in resolving it for me.

Is it possible we could be overreacting about a summer of doom and gloom? My new 2014 RT had less than 200 miles on it when I was encouraged to park it yesterday. While I'm probably no happier about situation than any other 2014 RT owner right now, I have to applaud the efforts of BMW and my dealer to inform me as soon as possible. In the context of recent automotive recalls (cover ups, negligence and people hurt or killed as a result), this was handled appropriately.

My dealer made every effort to contact every affected customer immediately, even though one press release I read stressed that no injuries had been reported. My dealer answered my questions about what could happen if the part did fail and the risk of riding it home. I scanned every forum and internet post I could find and inspected my shock twice for leakage (to the extent possible) before deciding to ride mine home from work yesterday (15 miles on the slowest, smoothest roads I could manage). I still haven't seen a single report of accidents or injuries related to this problem.

Not only that, but when I dropped off my 2009 RT for service this afternoon, my dealer told me that they were organizing a campaign to pick up all of the affected 2014 RTs they had sold - possibly as early as next week for some of us. So I don't think mine will be sitting in my garage all summer. While I hope it won't sit at the dealership all summer either, the fact that it's there means they'll be able to remediate sooner rather than later the moment the parts do arrive. I'm pleased that my dealer is being as proactive as possible on my behalf.

I would encourage everyone to maintain regular contact with their dealer. They don't have all the answers yet either, but they certainly our best resource for getting information. I value the relationship I have with my dealer. The dealer isn't responsible for creating the problem, but they will play a critical role in resolving it for me.

Well said.

Neil TasteMoringa.com
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back