• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I do solemnly swear that after 45+ years of BMW Ownership and 600K+ miles of riding B

Now that's just funny as heck. I rode my first BMW at 65 and have bought 12 more new ones and am now 78.

+1, Gunny; at 15 I started street riding in 1963 on a 1959 Triumph 500 Speed Twin, started off road riding on my Granddad's NorCal Ranch at age 9 on an Allstate 175!

I'm going to give mein "Gisele Bundchen" one more chance, she has broken down on me on the open road four times now. But Gott im Himmel, is she ever fun to ride!

DSCF0083.jpg

Our loving Grandfather bought my Cousin and I this Sears Puch from the catalog, it came in a crate and we assembled it in the horse barn. Wowser, did we boys love it!

1966_Simpson_Sears_175_Vtwin_2.jpg

Now that's just funny as heck. I rode my first BMW at 65 and have bought 12 more new ones and am now 78.

The way your living your life is reminiscent of the flick where the guy starts out old and ends up a baby!:D Beware...

I drooled over those Sears catalog bikes when I was a kid! I'd start out in the unmentionables section,:nono then guns,:heart then MC's.:heart:heart

The way your living your life is reminiscent of the flick where the guy starts out old and ends up a baby!:D Beware...

I drooled over those Sears catalog bikes when I was a kid! I'd start out in the unmentionables section,:nono then guns,:heart then MC's.:heart:heart

+1, Gunny; I also drooled over those same items kantuckid, plus the Lionel O Gauge model trains, I still have my 1957 Sears steam loco Pennsylania freight train set!

OMG Why did I buy this thing !!!

I have spent sometime reading some post on this thread and I'm now nervous that I bought my 2014 1200GSA. I thought when I got this I would have a machine that would give me years of reliable and worry free service. Now I'm reading of issues and the first thing that popped in my head is that my closest dealer if 5 hours away. What did I do?

Larry

Just skip the thread and enjoy riding your new bike. It should put a big grin on your face every time you twist the throttle.
OM

I rode my first BMW at 65 and have bought 12 more new ones and am now 78.

One of my flying students, who at the time was about 45, bought his first motorcycle when he was 53.

Between 60 and 65, he did four solo (none of this guided BS) world tours on his BMWs (R100 GS-PD and F650) covering all continents. He wrote a book about each of his tours.

Now I'm reading of issues...

Larry

Spend less time on the forums or know enough that the internet is the greatest source of unconfirmed information.

There are issues with any make. Just look at the Kawasaki KLR 650 I bought new in 2002. It has been parked since August of 2003...sounds like piston slap. Hell, I have reliable BMWs to get me around. I'll fix the Krackmasaki...one day.

I have been riding BMWs since October of 1991 and I have yet to have a driveshaft or final drive failure on the new 1990 R100 GS I bought back then or the newer 2003 R1150 GS Adventure I bought new as well. Of course I don't hammer it like a sport bike or pop wheelies.

Valeo starter failures are another matter, but they are not made in Germany. Its also a reason I fly Boeing and not Airbus. I've had a Valeo starter failure on my R100 GS and R1150 GS Adventure.

I have been waffling between a 2011 RT and a new FJR. One is more reliable by far, and has an incredible warranty. The other is a much better feeling ride. Reliability wise, for a high mileage rider like me, the clear choice is Yamaha. Love of riding wise, the clear choice is BMW. I'll use any excuse to stay with BMW. My riding is usually in the golden (quadrangle?) between my private shop, the shop in Atlanta, Blue Moon in Norcross, and Pandora in Chattanooga.

Last edited:
I have been waffling between a 2011 RT and a new FJR. One is more reliable by far, and has an incredible warranty. The other is a much better feeling ride. Money wise, for a high mileage rider like me, the clear choice is Yamaha. Love of riding wise, the clear choice is BMW.

I put 100K+ on my 2003 Yamaha FJR 1300 and I 'm working towards putting 100K+ on my 2013 FJR, nothing required on these machines but changing the oil and filters!

But my heart still loves BMW, I just will not buy another new one after 45 years of regular BMW Motorrad purchases. Since the latest fiasco, my 2012 BMW K1600GT is OK.

Rode Gisele Sunday: Seth and DaddyDon love taking our BMW K1600GT out for a ride with her incredible handling and amazing comfort, that's when all systems are a GO!

I'm a relatively new FJR owner. I've had my 2013 for a bit over a year and have 21,000 miles on it. I still have, and often ride an R1200R and actually prefer it in many riding situations. My wife has three BMWs so I am not anti-BMW in any way. That being said, I find the FJR to be a fantastic bike. As a long distance hauler it is superb. It is inexpensive compared to a BMW, rock solid reliable, easy to work on, handles very well and has gobs of power. Yes it comes with only a one year warranty, but for $394 I purchased a Yamaha four year extension to the first year. The extended warranty is cheap for a reason. I will probably own a BMW for the foreseeable future, but I will probably also own an FJR.

We'll get you on an Indian yet!:huh

Which Indian ? the original Springfield Indian ? or the Gilroy Indian ? the Rock Hill Indian ? or the Spirit Lake Indian ?

Back at the first reincarnation {Gilroy,Ca] I wanted one...but the over glorified H/D engine kept me from buying. Then they announced the Power-Plus 100..their own engine...then announced they were once again folding. Then the 2nd reincarnation {Rock-Hill} and all the hype about**new models** , fuel injection coming, sending out emails.....then they announced they were folding [selling to Polaris}....and now the latest incarnation [Spirit Lake] Polaris version....and with them IMO the styling is ?? not to my taste...and they have added a bunch of gizmos that I just don't need, as well as the price heading back up....

So...not saying never...[never say never] :dunno But owning one not looking likely for me.

**new models**...some of those I really liked!

Back