• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I do solemnly swear that after 45+ years of BMW Ownership and 600K+ miles of riding B

That doesn't sound as sarcastic. I will agree with it, but it's not as humorous. How long did it take for the new water pump to find it's way on the new models of 1600 and in the pipeline for replacements? Even Don had his bad pumps replaced with bad pumps until the last one. It gets even more humorous when I read about people carrying spare water pumps. This is David Lynch/Fellini territory.

Strange, I can't recall of K75/K100 water pumps being that fragile.........

mine either

;);)

That's good. Apparently, BMW fired the old bumpkis that used to make or buy the water pumps and got a new bumpkis with a cheap as possible supplier of water pumps. Accordingly, New Bumpkis has been promoted manager of engine production due to the cost savings on water pumps and is flailing the Heck out of that cheap as possible water supplier. Management knows that New Bumpkis has a bright future

New Bumpkis' MBA classmate is working in the suspension department on the R1200RT LC. He's also up for promotion.

Last edited:
That's good. Apparently, BMW fired the old bumpkis that used to make or buy the water pumps and got a new bumpkis with a cheap as possible supplier of water pumps. Accordingly, New Bumpkis has been promoted manager of engine production due to the cost savings on water pumps and is flailing the Heck out of that cheap as possible water supplier. Management knows that New Bumpkis has a bright future

New Bumpkis' MBA classmate is working the in suspension department on the R1200RT LC. He's also up for promotion.

Parts left out because they are not needed cost nothing?That said, I don't know Bumpkis or the new Bumpkis, but I imagine they get paid by the same people.

Parts left out because they are not needed cost nothing?That said, I don't know Bumpkis or the new Bumpkis, but I imagine they get paid by the same people.

Old Bumpkis is working as the greeter at the Potsdam Walmart........

Many thanks for the chuckle Alex, I have to laugh about my K16 woes: Otherwise I would cry! Also thanks again for your Alps website, I always refresh myself with your information before I touch down in Munich!

Well Don, at least you are getting some great riding in. Now that I took early retirement, I am heading over to Europe and the Alps for 7 1/2 weeks of riding this year.

Last year, the Valeo starter on my 2003 R1150 GS Adventure gave me nothing but trouble a few days into my Euro ride. All because of a $3.95 internal part and due to bad engineering design. Come to think of it, the Valeo starter on my 1990 R100 GS also caused me grief. The French should stick to making wine and cheese. I prefer flying in a Boeing over an Airbus.

So, I guess we now refer to Don as BeemerdoneS? :blah

See ya in a few weeks in Sparks Don!

Dash

I will keep the K16 for any rides less than 200 miles from Casa de Stanley, for Guatemala and the Gaspe Peninsula I will use my FJR!

I DO trust my 2009 BMW F650GS Twin though, extremely reliable! See you in Sparks on 7/10, we have plenty of Sierra rides planned!

Visian - lets hope Honda doesn't do what they did with the 700 Crosstour - a great GS bike that everyone else in the world can buy....except those of us in the states.

I will keep the K16 for any rides less than 200 miles from Casa de Stanley, for Guatemala and the Gaspe Peninsula I will use my FJR!

I DO trust my 2009 BMW F650GS Twin though, extremely reliable! See you in Sparks on 7/10, we have plenty of Sierra rides planned!

Some wag over on one of the FJR forums suggested (only half in jest I imagine) that Yamaha should offer all the owners of 2014 RTs free FJR loaners. If they do, then you could petition them to do the same for you Don.

That is wholly silly, Don. You could have a new K16 or any other bike if you followed my advice. I guess you are stubborn.

I guess I'm an exception. I've owned many BMW's since my first new one in 1972. I have never had a problem. No final drive or fuel strip failures, nothing. My current GS has 40,000 miles on it, I've gone through 3 headlight bulbs, tires and fuel that's all. All my BMW's have been R bikes. I've had excellent service from my Ducati's also. No FJR's for me. My next bike will be the S1000F, I'm 72 and I want to try something different.

I guess I'm an exception. I've owned many BMW's since my first new one in 1972. I have never had a problem. No final drive or fuel strip failures, nothing. My current GS has 40,000 miles on it, I've gone through 3 headlight bulbs, tires and fuel that's all. All my BMW's have been R bikes. I've had excellent service from my Ducati's also. No FJR's for me. My next bike will be the S1000F, I'm 72 and I want to try something different.

Same here. Since 2001 I've bought new 2 650 gs's/2 r's/1 800gs/3 rt's and 6 1200gs's. I leaky rear shock which was covered under wty. About 300k miles total. Some not used much but a couple over 40k. Just bought a 2005 boxer cup replica for my 78th birthday.

Seems that there is an attitude here "if it didn't happen to me, it isn't true". That's very German. :huh

Or perhaps, "if it happened to several it will happen to everyone." That's very internet:violin

One is irrational, the other hyper-rational. Reasonable rational would be to get an extended warranty or have savings for just in case. Denying issues because it never happened to you is, well, very German.

Back