• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What I did on my summer kind-of-a-vacation

Karol's probably gonna hate this picture, but I think it's a pretty good representation of the permanent smile she's always got going.

Good to see ya there, Ms. Patzer.

29506364-L.jpg

Note to self: When showing off your Rokon sidehack thingamajiggy, be sure it's out of gear.

29506332-L.jpg

Anyway, that's all I've really got for photos.

I guess I wanted to point out here that motorcycles are vehicles. They're just stupid machines. But they have an ability to transport us to places we didn't know about, both physical and social.

Through motorcycling, I've met my best friends in the whole world. I've been to places I only dreamed about when I was 10 years old. I know that no matter where I travel, I'm never alone, as long as there's a motorcycle person nearby. So, while it's easy to get hung up in the politics and the hardwear and the sheer amount of stuff that happens at a rally, the ultimate purpose, when you've peeled all the trappings away, is that it gives us an opportunity to gather as many of our motorcycle buds together as we possibly can and spend some time with them.

So, while we strap on our helmets and are alone with our thoughts as we ride down the road, it gives us a chance to reflect on our lives, our friends and our family and realize how rich we really all are.

Motorcycling, this thing we do alone together, has made us all wealthy. Enjoy your riches, folks, and we'll see you in VT.

29506394-L.jpg

jdiaz said:
You may wish to start a new thread called "Rokons Gone Wild!"

:ha. No kidding the Rokon guy had a big black mark on his leg after he tried to get in front of the thing and it started crawling up his leg.

I forgot to say thanks for the fun pics. It was better than being there since I didn't have to sweat. :D

jdiaz said:
I forgot to say thanks for the fun pics. It was better than being there since I didn't have to sweat. :D

Any time, mang.

We've had a bunch of folks put their pictures up, but some kind of narrative for them would be more fun. :stick

KBasa said:
Any time, mang.

We've had a bunch of folks put their pictures up, but some kind of narrative for them would be more fun. :stick

Ah. A good story it is and thanks for taking us along.

You forgot to show the people the view from your office. It's not much but
it's a view...

6345743-M.jpg

Ian

ian408 said:
Ah. A good story it is and thanks for taking us along.

You forgot to show the people the view from your office. It's not much but
it's a view...

Ian

I thought the walls were padded....

nice work, Dave

I sure wish I could have been there. So I have to settle for seeing it through everyone else's posts. Thanks.

Rich said:
I sure wish I could have been there. So I have to settle for seeing it through everyone else's posts. Thanks.

Thanks, Rich.

I try to take pictures of people and things that mean something to me, since I've always felt that photographs are like little memory triggers.

We'll be looking for you in VT, man. The riding there is pretty fine and Cuban cigars aren't too far away.
not that I would advocate bringing blockaded tobacco products across the border or anything. :jose

KBasa said:
I'm pretty sure that's Joecubana there on the left and um, uh, help me out here on the right.

While we were in there, a huge storm was getting ready to blow through. I'm talking just short of fire, brimstone, wrath of God stuff. I looked out to see if I could see an old lady pedaling a bicycle around a funnel cloud while that wizard off oz music paid.

these guys didn't care. We've got beer. We've got motorcycle buds to talk to.

Heck yeah.

What weather?

29413692-L.jpg

That's actually me on the left talking to Gene Merritt aka 'merrittgene'. (We Iowa guys are real creative with screen names.) But Joecubana did have a Hawaiian shirt on too as I recall.

We Iowa guys laugh at little thunderstorms. If the farmhouse ain't spinnin' and an old crone on a bicycle ain't flyin' by the window, it's just a breeze.

SCDorman said:
That's actually me on the left talking to Gene Merritt aka 'merrittgene'. (We Iowa guys are real creative with screen names.) But Joecubana did have a Hawaiian shirt on too as I recall.

We Iowa guys laugh at little thunderstorms. If the farmhouse ain't spinnin' and an old crone on a bicycle ain't flyin' by the window, it's just a breeze.

OK, so Joe's the guy with the camera, here?

29415077-L.jpg

SCDorman said:
That is correct.

BTW, excellent pics Dave.

Thanks. Rule #1 of photography is zoom in to show the subject clearly. :)

Different folks have different tolerance levels for close up photos. :evil

Kbasa,

You've transported this non-attendee to a cooler place in another time. Hugely entertaining, uniquely subjective, daringly unblinking, stream-of-consciousness, post-modern report.

SNC 1923 said:
Kbasa,

You've transported this non-attendee to a cooler place in another time. Hugely entertaining, uniquely subjective, daringly unblinking, stream-of-consciousness, post-modern report.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Tom. Despite all the political BS that's going on and the way we draw a line in the sand over dumb stuff like national politics, left vs. right, creationism vs. evolution and all the other hooey, we're all just riders and we all, every single one of us, enjoy a good rally.

I used to go to rallies and take pictures of bikes. But when I got home, I never really remembered anything about the rally. So I started taking far fewer pictures of bikes and focused on the people. People I knew, people I didn't know, people I could hardly see. It's been a lot more fun that way.

And I'm all about modern, modernists and modernism, which is why I'm probably attracted to BMW bikes.

KBasa said:
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Tom. Despite all the political BS that's going on and the way we draw a line in the sand over dumb stuff like national politics, left vs. right, creationism vs. evolution and all the other hooey, we're all just riders and we all, every single one of us, enjoy a good rally.

I used to go to rallies and take pictures of bikes. But when I got home, I never really remembered anything about the rally. So I started taking far fewer pictures of bikes and focused on the people. People I knew, people I didn't know, people I could hardly see. It's been a lot more fun that way.

And I'm all about modern, modernists and modernism, which is why I'm probably attracted to BMW bikes.

Thanks for the report and kind words, Dave. I am just someone who pitches in when needed, dont make a fuss about it. I had a great time at the rally, probably one of the best times ever, and didnt go to jail.
It helps to have great folks like you, Woodnsteel, DLilah Boomyr and Redhot to take the heat off me. Then there are folks like Brad, Tina, and Rob to negotiate the prisoner exchange, so we can go home.

I didnt even get my camera out at this rally, I am so ashamed at myself, but I did stay pretty busy, kept hydrated, and almost accomplished my goal of drinking huge amounts of beer with my friends. I came with 5 fifths of various burning liquids, and managed to get them all disposed of in the time I was there.
I just wish that all the political stuff would go away. If folks knew how sincere you and the others I have gotten to know are, maybe they would be a little easier on those who want to do the best for everyone.

Back