• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oil cooler screen protector

05biggray

Looking at things to buy for my 2013 R1200RT I came across an oil cooler screen. Seems as it may serve a purpose all thought I worry about cleaning it as any attempt to blow air threw would result in the debrie being forced into the cooler. On the positive side it would offer some protection to the cooler. Anyone ever installed one ? Thanks for the input . Dave

Touratech makes an oil cooler screen that is easy to install. I have one on my 2012 R1200RT.

I have the Wunderlich oil cooler guard on my 09 RT. Cleaning is easy with a toothbrush and a flush with water. Note: I have a small dent in my left screen from something hitting the nose...I wasn't aware when it happened. Guess I got lucky...

Have heard of holes in the oil cooler. Saw a dent in mine and made a guard. One foot square (enough for two) $18 stainless steel hardware cloth. Cardboard template, band saw, grind to trim.

5-2014 RT 057-1sm.jpg

The foam isn't going to stop a larger rock as well as the stainless hardware cloth but I've got over 50K on my stock RT that has trapped plenty of bugs and not hit a rock big enough to do more than slightly deflect a fin which is of no consequence.
The possible advantage for foam us ease of cleaning- remove and rinse. It looks a lot like the foam used for window A/C units.

A few minutes at highway speed in the rain cleans everything out of a stock cooler. I see enough of that so no need for any other efforts.

I purchased the shop-vac brand micro foam sleeve size MM via Amazon. I slit one end which opens it up. Layed it into the oil cooler opening on my R1200 RT. It fit perfectly without any trimming. Just push it against the cooler and it holds itself in just fine. Good suggestion bmwed.

I may have to update my avatar now.

I purchased the shop-vac brand micro foam sleeve size MM via Amazon. I slit one end which opens it up. Layed it into the oil cooler opening on my R1200 RT. It fit perfectly without any trimming. Just push it against the cooler and it holds itself in just fine. Good suggestion bmwed.

I may have to update my avatar now.

Thanks.
I'll give it a try

Back