• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 R1200RTw - Crash protection bars...

Crash bars for RTW

I ordered and installed Wunderlich crash bars front and rear. They were easy to install and look nice (in black). I'm not sure they would fit as well if you have the BMW Aux Light accessory.

I ordered and installed Wunderlich crash bars front and rear. They were easy to install and look nice (in black). I'm not sure they would fit as well if you have the BMW Aux Light accessory.

Can you show us some pictures?

Hi, I am reviving this thread to see if anyone has photos of the their install, or other comments re: liking one particular brand.

Anyone?

Hi, I am reviving this thread to see if anyone has photos of the their install, or other comments re: liking one particular brand.

Anyone?

I don't have a 2014, but put Wunderlich bars on my 2005. The first set I ordered, didn't fit right, so when I called, I explained the situation to them but I was in a hurry to get them on to have highway pegs because of a trip I was taking the next week, so I purchased another set from them, on the understanding that we'd deal with the warranty when I got back. The second set fit perfectly. Their customer service was excellent to deal with, refund for one of the sets. Unfortunately, though, the bars had to be called to duty a few weeks ago, but did what they were supposed to do, it was a no speed tip over.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?74826-Wunderlich-s-quot-crash-quot-bars

214-rear-bar.jpg
2014-bar.jpg
bmw-lights.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone install the fairing protection bars, in addition to the engine protection bars?

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200RTLC/44140001-003.html

Neil TasteMoringa.com
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Neil,

Sorry for the (very) late response. Yes, I installed the Wunderlich fairing protection bars in addition to the engine protection bars. Install was pretty easy; took maybe 30 minutes per side. Everything went together per instructions. I was initially a little disappointed with the way the fairing bars attach to the engine bars. Seemed a little clunky when compared to the rest of the setup. However, after living with it for a while - and receiving numerous complements - I'm pleased.

Bill

Neil,

Sorry for the (very) late response. Yes, I installed the Wunderlich fairing protection bars in addition to the engine protection bars. Install was pretty easy; took maybe 30 minutes per side. Everything went together per instructions. I was initially a little disappointed with the way the fairing bars attach to the engine bars. Seemed a little clunky when compared to the rest of the setup. However, after living with it for a while - and receiving numerous complements - I'm pleased.

Bill

No worries. Thanks for the response.

Can you post photos?

thanks
Neil

Anyone?

I installed the silver Wunderlich bars on my 2015 R1200RTW. I chose Wunderlich over the Ilium Works because in my opinion fit the bike better. The Ilium Works ones look a little too large and clunky. However, if you like the Ilium Works Highway Pegs it is difficult to find a mounting spot with 1 3/4" of straight bar. It is possible, but the pegs end up so far back their use was limited because my legs felt cramped. I ended up returning them. Bummer. They are very nice pegs and in retrospect would thought a little harder about getting Ilium Works engine guards as their pegs would work much better. If you aren't planning on getting highway pegs, then....nevermind.

Pegs

Jeff, I was interested in your comment about the highway pegs. In my look at both Wunderlich and Illium I thought the highway pegs from Illium were much better. Nice to hear from someone who actually bought them.

Unlike all previous BMW boxer twins, cylinder damage to a wethead likely means you need a new engine, as the cylinders are not separately removable.

Very crude sort of "shadetree" engineering thinking suggest cylinder protection bars may be needed more than ever.

Unlike all previous BMW boxer twins, cylinder damage to a wethead likely means you need a new engine, as the cylinders are not separately removable.

Very crude sort of "shadetree" engineering thinking suggest cylinder protection bars may be needed more than ever.

How many cylinder barrel replacements do you think there been for bikes made in the last 20 years? :ear

Cylinder damage comes in roughly two forms... that caused by engine wear and that caused by external events. Engine wear hasn't been much of in issue -- re-bores and oversize pistons mostly went away with the start of the oilheads. Many engines run forever where forever means longer than the other components that make up the bike. I think cam chain/cam chain guide issues are the most common failure for those that don't run forever.

An external hit that is hard enough to damage a cylinder usually totals the bike. They are pretty strong. More likely is damage to valve covers and cylinder head, both of which are easily replaceable. I don't believe the need for protection bars is any more or less required than on the earlier bikes. I have bars on my bike, but they are there only to minimize (not eliminate) valve cover and cylinder head damage. I had them on my '05, too.

How many cylinder barrel replacements do you think there been for bikes made in the last 20 years? :ear

Cylinder damage comes in roughly two forms... that caused by engine wear and that caused by external events. Engine wear hasn't been much of in issue -- re-bores and oversize pistons mostly went away with the start of the oilheads. Many engines run forever where forever means longer than the other components that make up the bike. I think cam chain/cam chain guide issues are the most common failure for those that don't run forever.

An external hit that is hard enough to damage a cylinder usually totals the bike. They are pretty strong. More likely is damage to valve covers and cylinder head, both of which are easily replaceable. I don't believe the need for protection bars is any more or less required than on the earlier bikes. I have bars on my bike, but they are there only to minimize (not eliminate) valve cover and cylinder head damage. I had them on my '05, too.

A riding bud went down back in March ( I was one bike behind him) on his 14 RT, he had cylinder guards on order but that didn't help him :) He was doing about 30 mph in a wet corner, his valve cover was ground down creating a hole plus the saddle bag blow up. If his wrist wasn't hurt J B Weld would of fix the hole in cover, he didn't lose much oil. The bike was all fixed up just prior to the shock recall.

Jay

A riding bud went down back in March ( I was one bike behind him) on his 14 RT, he had cylinder guards on order but that didn't help him :) He was doing about 30 mph in a wet corner, his valve cover was ground down creating a hole plus the saddle bag blow up. If his wrist wasn't hurt J B Weld would of fix the hole in cover, he didn't lose much oil. The bike was all fixed up just prior to the shock recall.

Jay

Yup. Typical enough that I carry some JBStik in case it ever happens to me. In that example it was the valve cover that was damaged, not the cylinder head and not the cylinder. Cylinder damage is not unknown, but not all that common, either.

Back