Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2014 R1200RTw - Crash protection bars...

Cowboyatheart

2014 R1200RTw - Crash protection bars...

Hi,

I am going to order a 2014 or 2015 R1200RTW and am interested in knowing if anyone here has mounted crash protection bars?

I am interested in what you added? And how do you like the fit, finish and protection offered by the bars. Let us know...

The only two I see in the market are:

IllumWorks

http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorc...0%2D200&pID=98

and

Wunderlich

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/bmw/R1200RTLC-P.html
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Crash bars for RTW

I ordered and installed Wunderlich crash bars front and rear. They were easy to install and look nice (in black). I'm not sure they would fit as well if you have the BMW Aux Light accessory.

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ_CT View Post
    I ordered and installed Wunderlich crash bars front and rear. They were easy to install and look nice (in black). I'm not sure they would fit as well if you have the BMW Aux Light accessory.
    Can you show us some pictures?
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com

Cowboyatheart
    Hi, I am reviving this thread to see if anyone has photos of the their install, or other comments re: liking one particular brand.

Anyone?

here is a black Wunderlich on my Quartz Blue
    Attached Images Attached Images

Droptine1968
    Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    Hi, I am reviving this thread to see if anyone has photos of the their install, or other comments re: liking one particular brand.

Anyone?
    I don't have a 2014, but put Wunderlich bars on my 2005. The first set I ordered, didn't fit right, so when I called, I explained the situation to them but I was in a hurry to get them on to have highway pegs because of a trip I was taking the next week, so I purchased another set from them, on the understanding that we'd deal with the warranty when I got back. The second set fit perfectly. Their customer service was excellent to deal with, refund for one of the sets. Unfortunately, though, the bars had to be called to duty a few weeks ago, but did what they were supposed to do, it was a no speed tip over.
    2005 R1200RT

Cowboyatheart
    Anyone install the fairing protection bars, in addition to the engine protection bars?

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...40001-003.html

Neil TasteMoringa.com
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by nelliott; 10-21-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Last edited by bmwdean; 10-21-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

Anyone install the fairing protection bars, in addition to the engine protection bars?

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...40001-003.html

Neil TasteMoringa.com
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Neil,

Sorry for the (very) late response. Yes, I installed the Wunderlich fairing protection bars in addition to the engine protection bars. Install was pretty easy; took maybe 30 minutes per side. Everything went together per instructions. I was initially a little disappointed with the way the fairing bars attach to the engine bars. Seemed a little clunky when compared to the rest of the setup. However, after living with it for a while - and receiving numerous complements - I'm pleased.

Bill

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by wmecox View Post
    Neil,

Sorry for the (very) late response. Yes, I installed the Wunderlich fairing protection bars in addition to the engine protection bars. Install was pretty easy; took maybe 30 minutes per side. Everything went together per instructions. I was initially a little disappointed with the way the fairing bars attach to the engine bars. Seemed a little clunky when compared to the rest of the setup. However, after living with it for a while - and receiving numerous complements - I'm pleased.

Bill
    No worries. Thanks for the response.

Can you post photos?

thanks
    Neil

Anyone?
    I installed the silver Wunderlich bars on my 2015 R1200RTW. I chose Wunderlich over the Ilium Works because in my opinion fit the bike better. The Ilium Works ones look a little too large and clunky. However, if you like the Ilium Works Highway Pegs it is difficult to find a mounting spot with 1 3/4" of straight bar. It is possible, but the pegs end up so far back their use was limited because my legs felt cramped. I ended up returning them. Bummer. They are very nice pegs and in retrospect would thought a little harder about getting Ilium Works engine guards as their pegs would work much better. If you aren't planning on getting highway pegs, then....nevermind.
    2015 R1200RT - Callisto Grey

Pegs

Jeff, I was interested in your comment about the highway pegs. In my look at both Wunderlich and Illium I thought the highway pegs from Illium were much better. Nice to hear from someone who actually bought them.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT, gone
    2014 R1200RTW, GREAT

Cool Bars

I put illium on jut for the fact of the hiway pegs. Had them on my 09 and worked great.
    I will try to post pic!!
    http://

P
    2014 R1200RT
    Now gone 09 RT
    10xxx and going!
    living for riding,riding reason to live!

Great set up! In retrospect, that is what I should have done...
    2015 R1200RT - Callisto Grey

Unlike all previous BMW boxer twins, cylinder damage to a wethead likely means you need a new engine, as the cylinders are not separately removable.

Very crude sort of "shadetree" engineering thinking suggest cylinder protection bars may be needed more than ever.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S