• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200RT headlight bulb change....

wyman.winn

i should be out riding!
on this morning's commute i lost a low beam headlight and need advice on changing....

is it possible to change the low and high beam bulbs WITHOUT much hassle?.....owner's manual indicates it being pretty simple but looking for real world experiences...

thanks in advance,

wyman

on this morning's commute i lost a low beam headlight and need advice on changing....

is it possible to change the low and high beam bulbs WITHOUT much hassle?.....owner's manual indicates it being pretty simple but looking for real world experiences...

thanks in advance,

wyman
Wyman - changing headlight bulbs in the RT is an unmitigated pain in the ass foisted upon RT owners by the Spawn of Satan. There is a steep learning curve. Most people (me included) approach from the front and feel the way around behind the instrument panel. It will help if you unscrew the covers and then take a good look around to see what you're dealing with, flashlight necessary. Approaching from the front enables you to see clearly when you have the bulb properly centered in the socket.

I've found over the years that when one low beam bulb goes, the second is close behind. So I change both at the same time. I rarely use the high beam so I have not had to change it yet.

Be sure you don't touch the surface of the new bulb with your fingers, it transfers oil which will create a hot spot that will cause premature failure.

Good luck.

JayJay

Wyman - changing headlight bulbs in the RT is an unmitigated pain in the ass foisted upon RT owners by the Spawn of Satan. There is a steep learning curve. Most people (me included) approach from the front and feel the way around behind the instrument panel. It will help if you unscrew the covers and then take a good look around to see what you're dealing with, flashlight necessary. Approaching from the front enables you to see clearly when you have the bulb properly centered in the socket.

I've found over the years that when one low beam bulb goes, the second is close behind. So I change both at the same time. I rarely use the high beam so I have not had to change it yet.

Be sure you don't touch the surface of the new bulb with your fingers, it transfers oil which will create a hot spot that will cause premature failure.

Good luck.

JayJay

i cannot agree more.....one of my office mates is another MC friendly sort and between the two of us....my hands, his eyes...i think we can get it done....:)

gonna change all three while in there.....Philips H7 X-treme

thanks JayJay....:)

wyman

OK, what friggen engineering drop out designed the 2013 RT headlights.....!!!!

just did a dry run on changing the good high beam bulb to the burned out right side low beam.....what a giant PITA!!!!

the left side and center high beam bulbs are fairly easy to replace as long has you have another set of eyes to guide you along, BUT the right side is difficult because of fairing supports.....geeze....without another pair of eyes, i believe it would be near impossible, at least with my hands.....

the dry run was good experience though....it will help with installing the new bulbs when they arrive...:) i need smaller hands or my Beautiful Pillion to help....:)

wyman

I don't know about the 2013 model, but the 2009 is probably as bad.

According to my mechanics, if you have done it a few times, you can sneak your hand into the recess by coming up from above the front tire, unsnap the wire retainer and remove the bulb, then replace it without having to actually see anything....as if by Braille and you have Muchkin hands. :)

I can do it only if I first move the instrument panel surround which allows better access and view of the recess. Even then, it's easy to damage the flimsy plastic bulb socket. Don't ask me how I know.

"Spawn of Satan"...that's exactly what came to my mind the first time I tried without removing the instrument panel surround. :)

What idiot designed this?

I changed the left last weekend and my hands look like I got in a fight with a bobcat. Almost immediately after changing the right bulb, the left blew out. Do them both at the same time and save some aggravation.

I changed the left last weekend and my hands look like I got in a fight with a bobcat. Almost immediately after changing the right bulb, the left blew out. Do them both at the same time and save some aggravation.

gonna do all three Ponch1 when the new bulbs arrive....i just switched the high beam with the blown bulb as a temporary fix....

wyman

Changing bulbs

Hi Guy's I have an 09 RT prior 05 RT .I,have changed bulb's lost lot's of skin and blood. Finally got smart and removed the assembly not really a hard job. When installing new bulbs takes the guess work out of did I touch the bulb is it in straight ect.Takes about an hour to R&R .There is a post on the forum regarding removal. I do this as PM and replace all three bulb's every time I head out on a long ride.

{snip}...Finally got smart and removed the assembly not really a hard job. When installing new bulbs takes the guess work out...{snip}

+1!

On my 09 RT, the IP can be removed without taking-off any other tupperware. The upper part of the side fairings just need to have their bolts removed at the IP and their trailing edges by the seat. Mirrors need to come off to remove IP side bolts and the top IP bolts need to be removed.

I take the opportunity to spray and wipe-down the plastic by the bulbs with Aerospace 303. So far, no plastic degradation...

I think the biggest problem with the right side bulb is that most of us are right-handed.

I use a piece of clear plastic tube or hose slipped over the power/ground contacts of the bulb to press it into place prior to reconnecting the clip.

I don't think it is difficult on my 2005 RT. I have replaced all of them and the only trick is to visualize how to squeeze and flip the wire clip that secures the bulb. Takes five minutes.

Be careful wiggling out the old bulb from the two-prong plug. One crumbled in my hand and now I have to splice in a replacement.

Do not use the higher end bulbs like silver star, etc. I went thru so many bulbs until a mechanic told me to only use standard bulbs. He said if you don't believe it read the life expectancy on the package. Since switching back to a regular H7 I don't have to use my hinged forearm as much.

I changed my low beam bulbs once three years ago. PITA to say the least. To avoid ever having to do that job again I installed HID low beams.

I think the biggest problem with the right side bulb is that most of us are right-handed.

I use a piece of clear plastic tube or hose slipped over the power/ground contacts of the bulb to press it into place prior to reconnecting the clip.

I was using my left hand and it took a beating.

Do not use the higher end bulbs like silver star, etc.

They are the same company but Sylvania Silverstars and Osram Silverstars are two completely different things. The former are junk, as is everything from PepBoys. "High end" and PepBoys are mutually exclusive. I've used +50%, +80%, and +100% bulbs from Osram and Phillips for years with no problems and with normal life.

All I can tell you is that at every auto parts store around me, they tend to sell three classes of bulbs. Printed clearly on the package is the expected life. The brighter the bulb the shorter the life. I didn't print the packaging, I just read it. If you have found better bulbs with longer life, awesome.

09 rt

My 12 year old changes mine for me! He has the small hands needed and I just tell him what to do. He's a sharp kid and has steady hands. Now if I could only get him to come and get me when I'm miles from home in the dark I'd be set....Too many bloody knuckles for me.

Changed left side 1st with standard h7- 09 rt. Easy change. So what's all the fuss? A year later right side went out. Installed orsram 65w bulbs in all three. (deleted expletives).Right side took an hour to replace. Hi beam and left side a couple minutes each. I had heard that extra bright bulbs had a short life and decided I would replace next set with longer lasting standard bulbs to prolong right side change. However, I'm so pleased with brighter bulbs, I'll probably go back with 65w. Hopefully it'll get easier.

I don't think it is difficult on my 2005 RT. I have replaced all of them and the only trick is to visualize how to squeeze and flip the wire clip that secures the bulb. Takes five minutes.

Be careful wiggling out the old bulb from the two-prong plug. One crumbled in my hand and now I have to splice in a replacement.

well, i'll be dipped....received my Phillips bulbs and with the help of my office mate, we changed out the three bulbs in about 15 min....his eyes my hands....not too bad all things considered....the most important part is making sure the bulbs are properly seated in their sockets....visual check from the front is a good indicator...

BUT, CRAP!!! one of the the H7 sockets crumbled as i was trying to gently wiggle it from the bulb....double crap!!!! found some right angle H7 replacement connectors on eBay and will order 3.......and will splice it in when i get around to installing the upgraded windscreen hinges.....

AND....no skin shed or blood let...:)))))

wyman

edit....check with MaxBMW for the official replacement repair H7 socket.....$48!!!!!!!!!! geeze.....

w

Last edited:
Back