• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Timing Chain Tensioner

Not sure where you are at, might let us know

I'm in the San Francisco bay area. Of course the dealer should have known better than to have me in for a service they did not have parts for, but this is really BMW corporate's fault - why would they send out a recall notice without parts available, and why would they not have parts available or suggest loaner bikes for a manifestly dangerous condition?

I think I received two notices, the initial notice and then the actual recall notice.
I remember I called my guys right after the first notice and Peter my service manager said, "not yet".
Weather is wreaking havoc with my appointment this morning, will report back.
Not to minimize our issue but imagine how the 2014 RT owners feel.
No ride notice from BMW and iirc as yet no solution.
Hang in there.

Wifes scooter has been at long beach bmw since beginning of week awaiting the new parts, first in line with the coming weeks shipment. It appears every scooter recalled came in for the repair last week, when I made the appointment they had twenty five in stock, by Tuesday none left. Hopefully they will comp the oil change they are doing for the delay

I was going to mention the Harley chain tensioner issues. But someone else did.
Some of the other BMWs have also had chain tensioner issues.
I replaced the chain tensioner on my F800ST. They had an issue there.
I think they just try to make the parts cheaper all the time. And inevitably end up making them (obtaining them) from a supplier so cheap that they fail and then must be replaced.
And a new supplier found, if the are sub K parts.
dc

hydrolic chain tensioners are a known weak link, ask any older 911 owner. Solution is either a mechanical or combination mechanical/ oil pressure type. Your right in that the low bid wins when supplying parts, and sometimes ends up costing a great deal more ie the RT issue. In retrospect the engine manufacturer should have know this issue long before scooter was introduced.

In she goes

Did the tensioner this morning.
Was told it would take 2 hours.
Took 90 minutes.

Did the tensioner this morning.
Was told it would take 2 hours.
Took 90 minutes.

Yep, they got the part and told me it would take an hour, will be over there tomorrow (and having a look at a GS Adventure low suspension while there... ;) ).

I had the recall done. About 2 months ago I stopped in a store came out and had a hard time starting and would not run unless dragging the brake at high revs. Had to get towed to dealer

The replacement tensioner had taken a dump and chain jumped a tooth. No damage to valve but they were adjusted. All covered under warranty.

Back