• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Timing Chain Tensioner

Up here in Canada I went to my dealer today and he has not heard of this recall yet. It is funny how we as consumers here about things before the dealer. The service department is now looking into this (I am sure they are not in any rush). Let us wait and see how long this takes.
You would think BMW Canada would know day 1 and the dealers would know day 2 and get ready for the mad rush of all 163 scooters including myself.

[SUP][/SUP]

Just as a general note, why does BMW have such troubles with cam chains and tensioners? Why do that allow this to continue. Obviously someone or some policy is not correct.

Rod

USA timing chain tensioner recall is official

Received my official notice of safety recall in the mail yesterday (July 17th). I'd include a copy of the notice but my scanner isn't working. The notice states: "Please note that at the present time we do not yet have parts to conduct this recall; however, we will notify you via first class mail as soon as parts become available." I have about 3,500 miles on my 2013 GT and have not had a single issue with the scooter. I'll continue to ride it in the usual manner and keep my fingers crossed. I'll update my experience with the recall when something changes.

Just as a general note, why does BMW have such troubles with cam chains and tensioners? Why do that allow this to continue. Obviously someone or some policy is not correct.

Rod

That has perplexed me for almost 20 years. R1100 lefts side tensioners. F650 tensioners. F800 tensioners. K1200 or K1300 tensioners and then the need for a goofy "jump guard".

These things are simple hydraulic pieces that have been around for 50 years. I don't get it either.

That has perplexed me for almost 20 years. R1100 lefts side tensioners. F650 tensioners. F800 tensioners. K1200 or K1300 tensioners and then the need for a goofy "jump guard".

These things are simple hydraulic pieces that have been around for 50 years. I don't get it either.

Compounding the confounding, they have made final drives since 1923 and water pumps have been around since, oh, 250 years before Christ. Handlebar electrical switches - now THERE is a technically challenging one! We won't mention piston rods on shock absorbers.

recall received

Has anyone actually gotten a recall notice on this in the U.S.?

I am in Southern California, and I did receive the recall notice for the Camshaft Chain Tensioner - listed as Recall campaign No. 14V-264. In fact, I received 2 notices - one for the 2014 C650GT I currently own and one for the 2013 C650GT I had last year (and totaled).

I just had my 12K service done two weeks ago, and so called this morning to see if they had known of this issue; as of now it's apparently not even listed in the database the dealers review. As they have no parts, I won't be going in for the service for a little while.

When the cam tensioner goes and your moving so does your motor. Ask me how I know. I'm on my second c650gt I blew the first one up and thankfully BMW replace the bike with new one. Get that new tensioner when they get in.

Joe

Oh, that's what that squeak is.
Just kidding!
Just a notice no recall as yet.
This bike makes me smile

Still no parts in So Cal

I checked again and the dealer still hasn't got the parts to this purportedly important recall... kind of nuts that BMW sends me notices but a)doesn't even inform the dealers and b) doesn't even have parts to send them anyway.

Update from Colorado

Made the first call yesterday (8/15) to my Dealer. I have an annual service due in September and would have loved to have the tensioner fix done at the same time to save a trip. It seems dealers aren't getting any further information from Corporate about availability, and seem to be as frustrated as we owners are. I'll continue to ride the scoot as I have been.

BMW Group U.S. "Maxi scooter sales rose by 73 percent in October with 57 units compared to 33 last year."

Maybe because there are only 90 or so of us BMW AG is going to leave us twist in the wind?
Been waiting a while on solution but hey look how long it took them with the RT fuel strip.
Hopefully in meantime the cam chain does not get munched . . . but ya know take it as it comes.
Is not stopping me from enjoying this scoot.
60 litre boot man you can fit a lot of stuff in there

Last edited:
Well shut my mouth

Guess what I found in my mailbox.
That's right.
Recall notice
Good on ya, BMW AG!!!!!

Timing Chain tensioner replaced

On my 2013 GT. BMW of Denver service dept. called to inform me the replacement tensioner was in hand one day before I rec'd mail notification from BMWNA that the parts were now available. I wrapped my annual service around the recall replacement and was on my way in less than four hours. All's well that ends well.

Reference, my first motorcycle, a KZ550A1, also had a defective cam chain tensioner.
And Harley Davidson has went several rounds of cam chain tensioner problems, that can also result in catastrophic engine failure with no recall that I know of. The aftermarket solution is to install a gear drive, of course you have to also not have excess crankshaft runout. They use a built up crank, and it tends to slip on the crank pins, and also have undersize crank bearings. The aftermarket has solutions for these also. What we BMW folks lack is a dedicated aftermarket that can come up with GOOD solutions.

Sometimes for the OEM to admit defeat and make a good fix, is hard. Note here about 1150 clutches.

Rod

I took my bike in for the replacement and they told me they did not have parts, either at my dealer or anywhere else in the country! And they have no idea when they will arrive.

So now, I'm apparently supposed to either ride it as-is, which according to the dealer they describe as "only" having a risk of stalling (great, engine failure in motion, that's safe?), without mentioning the possibility of catastrophic engine failure.

I love, love, love this bike, so comfortable, practical, and luxurious, but after being one of the initial sufferers of stalling when I got it, which is extremely dangerous, poor quality parts on the drop protectors (which I also waited almost a year after paying for them to receive if memory serves), and now this, I am starting to have real questions about BMW quality and service.

Get mine done this Saturday, spoke with service manager last week. He's got parts they have me scheduled he says it takes about two hours. I'll let you know.
I cannot say enough about my dealership (BMW of Countryside).
Sales, service both top notch.
Agree about the scoot.
Do you miss the clutch? Yeah I really miss it, especially in stop and go. Like not.
It's got some grunt, hauls tons of stuff in the boot . . what is it 60 some litres?
Big comfy tractor seat and boards

Not sure where you are at, might let us know

Back