Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Timing Chain Tensioner

Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Jeff Wilson life member Jeffsride's Avatar
    Up here in Canada I went to my dealer today and he has not heard of this recall yet. It is funny how we as consumers here about things before the dealer. The service department is now looking into this (I am sure they are not in any rush). Let us wait and see how long this takes.
    You would think BMW Canada would know day 1 and the dealers would know day 2 and get ready for the mad rush of all 163 scooters including myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Jeff
    A bad day on the C650 GT scooter is better than the best day at work

Just as a general note, why does BMW have such troubles with cam chains and tensioners? Why do that allow this to continue. Obviously someone or some policy is not correct.

Rod

USA timing chain tensioner recall is official

Received my official notice of safety recall in the mail yesterday (July 17th). I'd include a copy of the notice but my scanner isn't working. The notice states: "Please note that at the present time we do not yet have parts to conduct this recall; however, we will notify you via first class mail as soon as parts become available." I have about 3,500 miles on my 2013 GT and have not had a single issue with the scooter. I'll continue to ride it in the usual manner and keep my fingers crossed. I'll update my experience with the recall when something changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    Just as a general note, why does BMW have such troubles with cam chains and tensioners? Why do that allow this to continue. Obviously someone or some policy is not correct.

Rod
    That has perplexed me for almost 20 years. R1100 lefts side tensioners. F650 tensioners. F800 tensioners. K1200 or K1300 tensioners and then the need for a goofy "jump guard".

These things are simple hydraulic pieces that have been around for 50 years. I don't get it either.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    That has perplexed me for almost 20 years. R1100 lefts side tensioners. F650 tensioners. F800 tensioners. K1200 or K1300 tensioners and then the need for a goofy "jump guard".

These things are simple hydraulic pieces that have been around for 50 years. I don't get it either.
    Compounding the confounding, they have made final drives since 1923 and water pumps have been around since, oh, 250 years before Christ. Handlebar electrical switches - now THERE is a technically challenging one! We won't mention piston rods on shock absorbers.

Has anyone actually gotten a recall notice on this in the U.S.?

recall received

Quote Originally Posted by jiminsf View Post
    Has anyone actually gotten a recall notice on this in the U.S.?
    I am in Southern California, and I did receive the recall notice for the Camshaft Chain Tensioner - listed as Recall campaign No. 14V-264. In fact, I received 2 notices - one for the 2014 C650GT I currently own and one for the 2013 C650GT I had last year (and totaled).

I just had my 12K service done two weeks ago, and so called this morning to see if they had known of this issue; as of now it's apparently not even listed in the database the dealers review. As they have no parts, I won't be going in for the service for a little while.

When the cam tensioner goes and your moving so does your motor. Ask me how I know. I'm on my second c650gt I blew the first one up and thankfully BMW replace the bike with new one. Get that new tensioner when they get in.

Joe

Oh, that's what that squeak is.
    Just kidding!
    Just a notice no recall as yet.
    This bike makes me smile

Still no parts in So Cal

I checked again and the dealer still hasn't got the parts to this purportedly important recall... kind of nuts that BMW sends me notices but a)doesn't even inform the dealers and b) doesn't even have parts to send them anyway.

Update from Colorado

Made the first call yesterday (8/15) to my Dealer. I have an annual service due in September and would have loved to have the tensioner fix done at the same time to save a trip. It seems dealers aren't getting any further information from Corporate about availability, and seem to be as frustrated as we owners are. I'll continue to ride the scoot as I have been.

Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    BMW Group U.S. "Maxi scooter sales rose by 73 percent in October with 57 units compared to 33 last year."
    Maybe because there are only 90 or so of us BMW AG is going to leave us twist in the wind?
    Been waiting a while on solution but hey look how long it took them with the RT fuel strip.
    Hopefully in meantime the cam chain does not get munched . . . but ya know take it as it comes.
    Is not stopping me from enjoying this scoot.
    60 litre boot man you can fit a lot of stuff in there
    Last edited by wezul; 09-09-2014 at 08:53 PM.

Well shut my mouth

Guess what I found in my mailbox.
    That's right.
    Recall notice
    Good on ya, BMW AG!!!!!