• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

virginia Inspection sticker on GSW?

TomR1200

Hello,

The new R1200GSW has radial mount brake calipers, so the old solution of mounting a plate on a caliper bolt won't work.

Where have other Virginia GSW riders placed our state's nasty 4x3 inspection sticker?

Many moons ago NY was trying to have it applied to the gas tank, so it would be visible for LEO. Personally I think it should be stapled to the registration, just like a trailer sticker in NY.

New York is back to using cheaper glue again. Mine fell off within 300 miles. Third inspection sticker that fell off in the past 5 years.

New York is back to using cheaper glue again. Mine fell off within 300 miles. Third inspection sticker that fell off in the past 5 years.

It doesn't help that the surface texture on my '03 RT fork leg is not conducive to holding a sticker. My local bike shop wraps the sticker with clear packing tape to keep it stuck on.

Harry

"sitting on a park bench".........
An inspection sticker is a $15.00 donation, to something, here in Taxachusetts. :banghead
OM

It's only $14.50 in TX. Ours now has to be seen from rear of bike...if the LEO is that picky. If you live in a county needing a smog check for a car...can be around $55 as each county has been given ability to charge what they want.Honk horn, operate blinkers and have proof of insurance...and$14.50.

we use the metal bracket that doubles as a mudflap:D.looks better on some models than others. The stickers fall off the plastic versions, had clear tape on a few:banghead

A local customer with an RnineT (also radial brakes, in Va.) has the typical sticker plate between the muffler and the muffler mount on the subframe. Doesn't look great, but it works. That's where the dealer put it. Next time I have it off I will grind the plate a bit to allow it to sit at a nicer angle.

A local customer with an RnineT (also radial brakes, in Va.) has the typical sticker plate between the muffler and the muffler mount on the subframe. Doesn't look great, but it works. That's where the dealer put it. Next time I have it off I will grind the plate a bit to allow it to sit at a nicer angle.

A useful reply to my question! Thanks Anton!

Virginia law requires the sticker to be placed low on the front left side of the bike. He hasn't been hassled?

The muffler on my GS is on the right side, so I think that might be pushing it in my case.

It doesn't help that the surface texture on my '03 RT fork leg is not conducive to holding a sticker. My local bike shop wraps the sticker with clear packing tape to keep it stuck on.

BMW has had a rough texture for decades, and the NYS inspection stickers never fell off. But, in the last couple of years the glue has gotten worse. There was a news story about it on TV last year in Albany, and the DMV changed their program to allow you to go back to the inspection station to get a new one for free. BUT, you must save the paper copy from the inspection station to get a new one.

Last year I used packing tape too. Works great. But, this year it fell off before I could get the packing tape over it. Strange how a $2 roll of packing tape works better then NYS's inspection sticker. Inspections are a waste of time and money. I think they annoy just about everyone.

Tom, sorry to hijack your thread. Finding a location is difficult on BMW's. Don't know why BMW can find a place for them. Some type of metal bracket is probably the best solution. Anton's idea seems like a good idea. Someone used to advertise a metal bracket in the MOA ON mag years ago. But, I believe that it was for Airheads. Once you find a location, then you have to work on keeping them on.

"sitting on a park bench".........
An inspection sticker is a $15.00 donation, to something, here in Taxachusetts. :banghead
OM

Actually, here in MASSachusetts most of the $15 inspection fee goes to the bike shop doing the inspection, not to the state. Like the auto inspection, if done properly the m-c inspection is aimed at making the roads safer for which I am eternally grateful.

And the sticker (AKA "stickah") goes on the license plate, not on the bike itself.

pete

Actually, here in MASSachusetts most of the $15 inspection fee goes to the bike shop doing the inspection, not to the state. Like the auto inspection, if done properly the m-c inspection is aimed at making the roads safer for which I am eternally grateful.

And the sticker (AKA "stickah") goes on the license plate, not on the bike itself.

pete

Auto inspection in PA used to be every 6-mos and you couldn't have any rust holes. I paid for my sophomore year of college, dabbing and sanding bondo at a local garage. Usually, sitting on stack of empty oil cans and dead mufflers, because the trash bins had over flowed by mid-week.......

Last edited:
Virginia law requires the sticker to be placed low on the front left side of the bike. He hasn't been hassled?

The bike I normally ride has a sticker that expired in 2010, and I haven't been hassled. Many people just don't have them at all.

Sucks to live in NoVa, I know...

A useful reply to my question! Thanks Anton!

The muffler on my GS is on the right side, so I think that might be pushing it in my case.

I put a plate just to the rear of my left foot on my Yamaha since there was no good place in the front. I've gone through several road checks with no problems. A couple of friends have them near the bottom front of the engine on a plate on their Harleys and they have had no problem. Technically, it is not legal if it is on a plate than can be removed.

We used to have a headlight aiming charge that always seemed to need to happen...4 headlights added $$$:deal

Our 11S had a plate mounted on the subframe near the rear peg mount...at a roadside stop was told that wasn't legal and the next year my local HD riding inspection guy said the regional agency in charge said no more on the side.Had to relocate that one:deal

IMO, safety inspections are just a license to rip people off. We lived in PA in the 60's with 6 mo inspections. They ALWAYS managed to find something, even on new cars. I'd really like to see the statistics on how many wrecks are caused by stuff the inspections supposedly catch. Years ago in Indiana (IIRC) there was a push to get rid of the 'safety' inspections. The deciding factor was that only a fraction of a percent of wrecks were caused by anything that was subject to inspection. The law was overwhelmingly voted down.

Here in AZ we have emission testing on ALL vehicles made since 1966 in two counties. Another huge rip-off. They only this year decided to stop emission testing motorcycles...it was pretty ridiculous to see a guy on a 70's Honda trail 90 getting it emissions tested (for $20/yr).

Here in AZ we have emission testing on ALL vehicles made since 1966 in two counties. Another huge rip-off.

I disagree. When I grew up in LA in the 50s and 60s, one couldn't see the San Gabriel Mountains most days - everything was grey, and one's eyes stung. Now, with a much denser population in SoCal, one can see the mountains every day with clear eyes. That didn't happen because people kept their vehicles in good tune on their own initiative, it happened because they were compelled to do so. Sometimes compulsion is necessary, and works.

YMMV, of course.

Back