• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 K75S Rear Disk Brake Pedal Play

Slipster

Slipster
I understand that a certain amount of play is necessary on the the rear brake pedal and is a good thing. My issue is a little too much play and would like to take about a 1/2" of travel out so to engage the brake just a little higher to the foot.

I have adjusted the one screw on the pedal itself to raise it up some. New stainless lines and fluid. Brakes work great no further bleeding needed. Is there another point of adjustment on the rear brake?

What's your total travel? Are you concerned with the amount standing still or while moving? Do you have ABS?

On my 91 75RT ABS the link between the pedal and the cylinder is adjustable. I would suggest 14mm or so free travel measured at the end of the pedal.

I had mine tighter for a while and the brake would drag.

I had an interesting issue when I tightened my rear break pedal - while riding through Glacier National Park I noticed the brake was engaging at a high altitude - seemed the high altitude affected the pressure in the line. When I got home, I increased the pedal play.

That's an odd comment and worth thinking about.

I had an interesting issue when I tightened my rear break pedal - while riding through Glacier National Park I noticed the brake was engaging at a high altitude - seemed the high altitude affected the pressure in the line. When I got home, I increased the pedal play.

I don't want to hijack the original post so maybe post your comment as a new thread? I would like to understand what you described.

If you adjust the pedal so that there is no freeplay between the rod and the piston ( there is a spec.) you run the risk of holding the piston in past the bleed back hole in the cylinder which will cause the brake to drag.

I can see how, if it's adjusted too close, the lower atmospheric pressure at altitude, on the line and the outside of the caliper piston seal might not force the master piston to return as far, leaving the bleed back port covered.

:dance:dance:dance

If you adjust the pedal so that there is no freeplay between the rod and the piston ( there is a spec.) you run the risk of holding the piston in past the bleed back hole in the cylinder which will cause the brake to drag.

I can see how, if it's adjusted too close, the lower atmospheric pressure at altitude, on the line and the outside of the caliper piston seal might not force the master piston to return as far, leaving the bleed back port covered.

:dance:dance:dance

But that would also imply the first time the fluid got hot, the brake would grab?

Back