• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'87 K75s Coolant Dripping

kentuvman

Hi Gang,

Took the K for a spin today to visit my son today - he pointed out a small amount of coolant spray near the right fairing where the hose connects to the radiator - upon closer inspection, I noticed coolant is leaking by thermostat cover. Clymer manual says the "O" ring deteriorates over time - seems to make sense - will remove & also test thermostat to make sure it opens & closes.

Can O ring & if needed, a new thermostat be purchased at auto parts store is it a BMW specific part?

Attachments

• K75 Coolant Leak.jpg
    K75 Coolant Leak.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
The problem with trying to buy ANYTHING at a car parts place nowadays is unless you can give them the year, make, and model of CAR that it fits so they can type it in to their computer, most car parts sales people couldn't find windshield washer fluid.

17 11 1 460 718 O-RING - 47,29X2,62 $6.92

Your best bet is to have your dealer order it.

:dance:dance:dance

Tooo Trueeee about autoparts places

Sorry, Just had to chime in there ...

I really do miss the "real" autoparts places that actually knew what they were selling and could help you find orphan / equivalent parts ...

and nowadays even when you do tell them the part you need, like spark plugs, they still want to look it up ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with trying to buy ANYTHING at a car parts place nowadays is unless you can give them the year, make, and model of CAR that it fits so they can type it in to their computer, most car parts sales people couldn't find windshield washer fluid.

17 11 1 460 718 O-RING - 47,29X2,62 $6.92

Your best bet is to have your dealer order it.

Thanks guys.

Looks like it's time for a new set of coolant hoses - removed the long hose today that fits through the engine case and at the top there's a very small indentation and a pin-prick sized hole. O Ring and thermostat look good but will also replace the O ring for good measure.

Lucky this happened close to home!

Looks like the replacement hoses I need are as follows:

Hose 17121460691
Hose 17121460694
Hose 1712160692

+ the O Ring 17111460718

A company in China is offering (3) silicone radiator hoses for our bikes. A quick online search says they work well and some report they smell coolant even though hose isn't leaking - another says rubber is the way to go.

Wondering if any of you have any experience with this hose:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-1994-B...ake:BMW|Model:K75&hash=item27e4c6101d&vxp=mtr

If you're going to change hoses, change all FOUR hoses. You forgot the hose at the filler neck. While it doesn't have flow, it is under pressure.

Decided not to experiment with silicone hoses and besides the seller in China only sells (3) and I need (4). Motobins has them all in stock at a reasonable BMW parts price - $12 worth of rubber for $100. But upside is parts are still available and I don't have to make them!

Probably a good idea for anyone riding an older K bike with original hoses to replace them - these bikes do get hot and who wants to get stuck on the side of the road? Not me!

Side-note - received current issue of MOA yesterday and lo and behold Paul Glaves writes about maintenance and mentions hose replacement on K bikes - good timing for sure!

Update:

Received (4) new coolant hoses from Motobins today - about a week delivery - not bad at all for saving about a Franklin.

Changing hoses was pretty straightforward except for the one that goes from one side of the bike to the other that's behind the radiator.

Figured out the dripping by the thermostat cover was a bad O ring when I installed the new one.

Actually for 27 years old, hoses were in decent shape. Started her up, no dripping coolant - will take a test ride tomorrow before a trip to Omaha, NE on Friday.

Overheated!!!

Went for a test ride & all was well.

Left with wife towards Omaha & @40 miles out red temp light came on - stopped & let it cool down - was coolant in overflow reservoir - anyway only thing I figure is lost some coolant in radiator when trying to get I ring properly fit on thermostat cover / got home with many stops to let bike cool - taking the cage & will dig in when I return - bummer that tank has to be removed to check & add coolant - 1st time I ever almost got stuck on my trusty 87 k75s

Fan was definitely working - surmise there is air in the system - replaced all 4 coolant hoses & probably should've removed tank again after she ran for a couple minutes to recheck coolant level in radiator - I bet she needs more coolant - will dig in when I return.

Thanks

My original coolant hoses may outlive giant redwoods.

Wouldn't have thought to change them if not for the leaking coolant near thermo cap / maybe was just a worn O ring but new hoses will provide me with cheap insurance from a breakdown.

Update . . .

Partially removed the tank - now know it doesn't have to be completely removed to check coolant! My Bad! I'd lost about a pint or so when I was fiddling with fitting the new O ring under the thermo cover. Haven't gone for a long ride yet but will do so. Just glad I didn't cook the engine!!! That would have been a real bummer! Glad I replaced hoses as originals have some signs of wear on them, mostly from heat.

Ran the motor a few minutes and re-checked coolant and it is now full. I got lazy and paid for it!

Thanks guys!

Back