Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some help pricing an R60

Need some help pricing an R60

Greetings Inmates, GSAddict here from the Oilhead forum.
    I am helping a friend out trying to establish a fair selling price for the bike below.
    She is recently widowed and is trying to sell her dear hubby's pride and joy.
    This bike was built from the ground up and she has a stack of bills to back it up.

What would be a fair asking price for the bike and all the bags and accessories including the size L Shoei helmet?
    There are a ton of pictures at this photobucket link.

Pictures here:
    http://s583.photobucket.com/user/GSA...art=all&page=1

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Last edited by GSAddict; 05-28-2014 at 03:38 AM.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

This should really be in the Vintage section...I'll let it run here for a bit and see if it needs to be moved.

I was able to get to the photobucket site earlier, but not now.

I can't say as I've seen that color before. Lots of goodies with that. If it's as well cared for and good maintenance, that could easily be $10K. Just a quick thought on that...
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    This should really be in the Vintage section...I'll let it run here for a bit and see if it needs to be moved.
    Many thanks, my bad.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Bump

Anyone?
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Yeah, about $10K depending upon miles, service history, last slinger cleaning, that kind of stuff. It looks nice but has some "wrong" accessories and a non standard color that could turn off those that might otherwise be interested. My rule of thumb for vintage value: add up all the bills for the restoration and subtract 1/3rd to find what the bike is worth in the market

Help!
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Ask on the /2 mailing list. I bet you'll get plenty of opinions. Maybe even an offer

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/slash2/info

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Ask on the /2 mailing list. I bet you'll get plenty of opinions. Maybe even an offer

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/slash2/info
    Thank you.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Summer in Lakes Region of NH and winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
    You didn't ask but I'd pull off the windscreen and mirror to picture it in a for sale ad as they are wrong. Too bad about the color. If the slingers have been cleaned +++ and if the receipts show non-deturgent oil used +++ even more ++ if the owner added ZDDP to the oil, check the receipts. The air cleaner is from an R69 but many R60s had them changed out. Depending on the whim of the marked I would price at just under 10K but entertain offers at $8500 and up. If no record of slinger cleaning. Reason- that will cost 2K or up and the paint is wrong, sad. Proper paint color and slingers cleaned by a respected mechanic- 12K
    2002 F650GS, 1998 R1100R 75th anniversary edition, 1983 R80RT (just sold), 1959 R60 (in restoration), Honda CT90
    If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.

Some things to consider

Is it a matching numbers bike? Frame, engine, ID tag and title.

Have the slingers and crank been serviced properly and if so when?

Yer and model?

Does it have the correct carbs, final drive and speedometer for the year and model?

It looks to be a '62-66 R 60/2 that will require a new paint job to be correct, that is not a weekend project for most. If the numbers match, major components mentioned previously are correct, motor is tight and recently serviced the bike is worth around $6300 as is. The average enthusiast will not pay much more unless they like the color and a purist wouldn't even pay that because the redo would cost about $2,500 and a month or two to get it right. A decently restored matching numbers R 60/2 will go for around $8,000 to $ 13,000 for a Kent Holt painted and striped freshly restore drive train R 60/2. If the numbers don't match and the service history is sketchy a lot of the value is gone from the bike as a collector piece and if it has wrong major components (carbs, final drive, speedometer and other things like those horns) the hits just keep coming.

It really comes down to what she is willing to take and what somebody is willing to pay for it. Start off by asking $7,800, be up front with the details I mentioned and DO NOT take anything less than $6,300 if its a matching numbers bike regardless of the color. Its a pretty sharp looking machine so maybe somebody out there will have a desire for a High vis /2.

I know the link says it's a '68, but I think this might be one of the earlier /2s because the front engine cover doesn't have the bulge (they all got them after a point even if there was no crank damper) and the bottom bow of the Earles fork appears to be full size or shape as it goes around the back. They had to flatten this when the front cover changed...there were several iterations of that.

The front cover could have been swapped out (we already see the air cleaner swapped) but I doubt someone would go to the trouble of swapping the front end...unless there were other problems...or this is a bitsa bike.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

The mirror and windshield are awful. But the worst thing is the yellow color. WHY?

Personally, I would not be interested in it at all because of the color.

Getting it painted correctly would be very expensive because it would have to be completely disassembled and reassembled. Yikes!
    Jeff Dean − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    '17 R1200RT, '15 R1200RT, '67 R60/2, '69 R60US, '55 R67/3, '49 R24

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    The mirror and windshield are awful. But the worst thing is the yellow color. WHY?

Personally, I would not be interested in it at all because of the color.

Getting it painted correctly would be very expensive because it would have to be completely disassembled and reassembled. Yikes!
    My sentiments as well, but she is stuck with what is.
    Thanks for your reply.

We are hoping someone out there is a yellow lover.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

The High VIZ yellow is similar to another off color restoration

I saw a friends very nicely restored (in gray) R 50S a few weeks ago at the RA rally, his supposed Bristol Grey restoration was about 6 tints darker than the correct Bristol Grey that I had matched to original sheet metal for my '65 R 69S so I was curious about his paint color origin. Other than his bike being a very nicely restored and rare /2 with neat extras the color was wrong, the bike was nearly perfect but the color was way off. I had to inquire as to the source of his color match and well without naming names I will say I was surprised to hear it came from a rather well known "master restorer" from the West coast. I can't imagine how that color match came out so wrong even this color blind guy could tell it was wrong.

The hard work (mechanics and body work) on that '68 R 60 has been done, it has some very desirable extras like Craven bags and mounts, it is a matching numbers bike and it is complete, that alone is worth the asking price in my opinion. A repaint can be very expensive for someone who can't or won't lift a wrench or try to do some work themselves so I can understand why some individuals would not be interested in it at all. I think I even saw a similar windshield and mirror on a R 60/2 at the West Bend MOA national, yup could have sworn it was on red /2.

That bike can be torn down and rattle canned black with a tape pin-stripe in two weekends and for less than $300 bucks, it wouldn't be absolutely correct and it would look like all the other '68 BMW R 60's but you would not have a problem getting $8,300 for it if it were Black or White.

If I had the spare cash laying around I would buy the bike, make up some story about the color (like its a car color or something), adjust a couple minor things and claim its a correct and accurate restoration like some people do.

Quote Originally Posted by 69zeff65 View Post
    Other than his bike being a very nicely restored and rare /2 with neat extras the color was wrong, the bike was nearly perfect but the color was way off.
    But was it the color the owner wanted?

I know it's heretical to the purists out there but some of us don't give a crap if the color is original. Mine is white. Not dover white or bavarian cream, or frost beige or some other name for the original color. It is white. Refrigerator white. I like it that way. It was painted to please me. As part of pleasing me I've plated parts that were originally painted because it goes well with the white. The bike is perfect for me. I don't care if anyone else finds it less than perfect.

I also don't care if my color choice reduces the theoretical value of the bike. The bike will always be worth less than what I have into it. I bought the bike to ride. When it breaks (I'm on my 2nd cam and set of pistons since initial purchase) I fix it and ride it some more. If I want to see pristine examples of bikes as they came off the showroom floor I'll visit a museum.

[/soapbox]

GSAddict: perhaps my advice to check out the /2 mailing list wasn't good advice after all... you may just get more of "but it isn't a stock color" then help in setting a value.