• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Service Notice for 2014 R1200RT- Shift Assist Pro

Took my bike in for the 1,000 km service last week. Shift Assist Pro was working fine on the way in but wouldn't work while riding home afterward. I called the dealership who said that it couldn't have been anything that they did. At that point they also told me that there is a service bulletin out for part of the unit coming loose. They couldn't do the work until they received a special tool from BMW which finally arrived today. I'll take her in tomorrow and hopefully it's a quick fix. So if you got this option, give your dealer a call to ask about getting it checked out.

They did the adjustment but that turned out not be be the problem. The shop spent a bit of time on the phone with BMW and ended up with a software patch. The shift assist certainly isn't as smooth as it was previously, but it does work again.

It doesn't sound like they did the recall. Sounds to me they did a software update, parts not software is replaced for this recall. I'd check back with them concerning the recall. I think the new software upgrade isn't a good one for the Shift Pro. I had the software upgraded to fix the rear heated seat recall and turn on the LED driving lights, I don't think mine shifts as smoothly as before either.

Jay

Any update on this?

I'm thinking about adding this to the bike when the recall is done.
Is it worth it?

TIA,

The parts to fix the recall are out there so no big deal but getting dealer to do the work under the stop ride is a bigger question.

I think the Shift Pro is one of the best features on the bike, I?m glad I have it but the memory is starting to fade since it's been a while since I was able to enjoy

Jay

Out of the box the shift pro on my bike requires alot of foot pressure to change gears.Perhaps I have a problem from the start. I will recheck once the darn shock gets repaired.

Out of the box the shift pro on my bike requires alot of foot pressure to change gears.Perhaps I have a problem from the start. I will recheck once the darn shock gets repaired.

I discovered on mine that it likes to upshift above 2nd when I am opening the throttle (accelerating) and likes to downshift down to 2nd while I am rolling off the throttle but not at the point where the throttle is yet closed. I don't mess with 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st as she doesn't respond well. If I am at a steady speed the upshift is "strange" and sometimes I get a bit of a lurch. When I am downshifting, I have to apply quite a bit of pressure if the throttle is closed but if I am still rolling off, it is smooth as silk with very little pressure.

It has been a long day so hopefully my rambling makes sense...

Upshifting at steady speeds is smoother if you roll on a little throttle at the exact moment of upshift.

I discovered on mine that it likes to upshift above 2nd when I am opening the throttle (accelerating) and likes to downshift down to 2nd while I am rolling off the throttle but not at the point where the throttle is yet closed. I don't mess with 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st as she doesn't respond well. If I am at a steady speed the upshift is "strange" and sometimes I get a bit of a lurch. When I am downshifting, I have to apply quite a bit of pressure if the throttle is closed but if I am still rolling off, it is smooth as silk with very little pressure.

It has been a long day so hopefully my rambling makes sense...

Thanks it does. But say when one has multiple downshifts entering a corner the option of rolling off the gas only works for the first down shift.
BTW I have used your roll off technique with other bikes including my GT loaner. Result works like Shift pro .

shift assist

Just got my rt back post recall. They apparently replaced a screw related to the shift assist. Now it doesn't work at all. Anyone have this experience? It worked great before.

Dana

Just got my rt back post recall. They apparently replaced a screw related to the shift assist. Now it doesn't work at all. Anyone have this experience? It worked great before.

Dana

Same thing happened to mine. It took a software patch to fix it. It still doesn't work as well as before the work was done, but since I've been without it for 10 weeks I'll leave it until the 6,000 km service.

Same thing happened to mine. It took a software patch to fix it. It still doesn't work as well as before the work was done, but since I've been without it for 10 weeks I'll leave it until the 6,000 km service.

Mine works fine after the recall fix. They just replaced a bolt a very small one. The recall says it wasn?t torqued correctly at the factory. IMHO they must have over tightened it stretching it out, that?s why it?s replaced. How this affects the performance of it I don?t know and would be surprised if it did. Sorry but it looks like it?s time to go back to the dealer

Jay

Dealer suggests checking to make sure the wire to the shift assist module is hooked up and properly seated. Seems like that should have been done after the repair.

My SAP never worked properly from the start and then stopped working.First repair attempt noted improper voltage at the SAP on computer. New SAP was ordered second attempt, the installed voltage test normal at SAP but not working. After 3 hours of TS the tech through the problem to BMW support.
I will call the shop this AM and suggest they get the so called unlock code for SAP. Or have them try switching between ride modes to see if this helps.90 % of the time I am in Dynamic mode. Quite concerned at this point.

My SAP never worked properly from the start and then stopped working.First repair attempt noted improper voltage at the SAP on computer. New SAP was ordered second attempt, the installed voltage test normal at SAP but not working. After 3 hours of TS the tech through the problem to BMW support.
I will call the shop this AM and suggest they get the so called unlock code for SAP. Or have them try switching between ride modes to see if this helps.90 % of the time I am in Dynamic mode. Quite concerned at this point.

Repaired ,the tech had to order a second SAP unit . The original and first replacement were defective.

Back