• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Learned lesson

weeman

Yesterday I made a terrible error....stupidly I didn't lock down my right side hard bag and it launched itself coming off the freeway. Needless to say I felt like a complete idiot when I went to retrieve it knowing at that moment I forgot to lock it down.
Question....has anyone here ever repaired the scrapes? If so , how would one go about doing it....thankfully they're aren't many of them just on the corners and a bit on top.
Thanks!!
P.S. I couldn't find any previous posts about this.

I did wear mine proudly for two years and even attended the Salem Rally with them in plain sight. Finally I relented and had them painted locally to match again. I was on an RT so tupperware is a big part of the exterior view and I couldn't look at it anymore.
:laugh

Mine were pretty ugly from a similar incident and a crash by the previous owner. They aren't perfect but I got rid of the worst of it by using a plastic iron for ski base repair to fill in the deep gouges. I then sanded out the offending areas with 80 grit and wiped it down with brake parts cleaner to return some of the texture, somewhat glossy finish. Far from perfect, but not too bad from 20'. Red arrow indicates the corner which suffered the most damage:

right%2520bag.jpg

PS - Spray the brake parts cleaner on a rag away from the bike. Otherwise, it will leave a white spot on the bags anywhere a droplet makes contact, creating more work.

I've read somewhere of using bondo and matte or semi-matte black paint (e.g. bumper paint) to touch up small scrapes.

I used 150 grit sandpaper in a random orbit sander to get the worst scratches out, then to 220 for a smoother finish. You can't get too crazy without making the case too thin, but it looks OK.
Then Scotchbrite pad and Vinylex(way better than Armorall).

Looks pretty good, considering the 70 mph tumble down the road.

Thanks for all the useful info. I was thinking using of using a file on the mounting legs between the groves then fine sand paper then to finish off with a vinyl spray from SEM if I remember the name. It sucks being an idiot at times...yeah at least I admit it!
How much are used bags if you can find them?

Mine were pretty ugly from a similar incident and a crash by the previous owner. They aren't perfect but I got rid of the worst of it by using a plastic iron for ski base repair to fill in the deep gouges. I then sanded out the offending areas with 80 grit and wiped it down with brake parts cleaner to return some of the texture, somewhat glossy finish. Far from perfect, but not too bad from 20'. Red arrow indicates the corner which suffered the most damage:

right%2520bag.jpg

PS - Spray the brake parts cleaner on a rag away from the bike. Otherwise, it will leave a white spot on the bags anywhere a droplet makes contact, creating more work.
Is your bike a Cobalt Blue RSL? Looks like the rear of my 1995.

As Cele said so quickly, wear it as a badge of honour.
No help with your question I suppose but I'm posting to share my similar experience.

I rode over 2 hours with an improperly secured case when I crossed a bridge and decided to double back to get a pic of the raging river beneath.
I stopped hard over some bridge bumps and doubled back for my pic when I spied a case on the side of the road.
Hmmm, somebody lost a case I thought as I slowed to a stop.
I was SHOCKED to discover it was my own, never felt anything as it left the bike.

In conclusion; you still have your case, it didn't hit anybody, and it still works.
Just like me - Cool story eh bro?

I have bought my first new car two years a ago. Installed Yakima racks, 200 miles on the car. My wife pulls it in the garage under another car that was on the lift. Not enough clearance so the tire gets jammed on the rack and dents the a pillars. After about 10 minutes of freaking out I figured, it's a car, I bought it not the other way around. Best lesson ever. Take it in and enjoy.

If you keep an eye on Ebay there are often panniers on there. LOts of "breakers" (as the English call them)
or salvage guys to us.

Ken

While you are at it, get a silver Sharpie pen and write your contact info on the inner portion of the outside of the bag where it can't be seen with the bag mounted - if it happens again and you don't notice it you stand a much better chance of getting it back.

While you are at it, get a silver Sharpie pen and write your contact info on the inner portion of the outside of the bag where it can't be seen with the bag mounted - if it happens again and you don't notice it you stand a much better chance of getting it back.

What a great idea! For commuting, my sidebags are off since I have Givi topcase, but for taking a trip, they'll be on. Even though I'm pretty paranoid about the sidecases, I will be doing this just "in case" (pun intended).

Had a friend with with an R1100R who lost a bag on the highway outside of McCall, ID, for the same issue. We spent a significant amount of time looking for for it including walking for miles along the road looking over the road bank for it. As it turned out an individual passing through the area picked it up and took it with him to Missoula, MT, 250 miles away. One of our riding buddies has a college age son who moved to Missoula and met this individual who at some point mentioned that he'd found a bag from a BMW motorcycle. Friend's son mentioned that his dad rides BMW motorcycles so this guy gives it to him to give to his dad. Somewhere along the way their discussion turned to the loss of a bag and the bag was returned, a little worse for wear. Just an incredible series of coincidences... Lesson learned to lock the bags before throwing a leg over.

If I rode a GS maybe I would do as I see so many in the MOA magazine do: first cover the the metal bags with stickers, then cover the whole bike with mud. On a RT I feel a little differently. It's a nice looking machine, which I take pains to maintain in good shape, both mechanically and cosmetically. Having to constantly look at a scratched up bag, that I was to blame for, just seems like an ongoing irritation. I had the misfortune to scratch both my right side engine guard, and the right bag a while back. I am going to use some catalyzed body glazing to lightly fill in the scratches, then spray both bags, and the engine guard using a spray can of high quality rubber bumper paint with a semi-gloss finish. I got both items from a professional auto body supply shop. It was too cold to do it over the winter, so it is on my to do list this summer for the bike. I can't see spending three days polishing your chrome on the Harley before you take it out every time, but riding around with a set of ripped up side cases on a beautiful Beemer is too much for me. Personal opinion, of course.

Personal opinion, of course.

For me it is a cost of beauty question. I rode with a pieced together fairing from two broken ones for a few years before finding one on ebay in the right color and price range.

IMG_0612.JPG

As far as the system cases and valve covers go, If they looked too perfect, I'd cry every time I scratched them or scuffed one with a boot.

I leave the side cases on for those rare times I forget to put the kickstand down or something.
It is also a good place for funny stickers to make the toll booth guys laugh.

Back