• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150RS Fuel Tank Removal?

wchaikin

Help! The paper cap seal from a Star Tron Ethanol treatment bottle fell into the fuel tank on my R1150RS. Do I have to remove the tank to dump it out in order to remove the paper seal? How do I remove the tank if so?

Well now, ain't that the craps!!

First - the little paper won't clog the fule pump or any such nightmare probably. There is a screen on the pump which ought to prevent any disaster. If it did get sucked up against the screen - shutting of the engine and pump would have it dropping and it might not get sucked up again, ever.

But, to answer the question specifically.

1; remove the side panels (Plastic)
2. disconnect the electrical plug at the right rear of the fuel tank
3. disconnect the two fuel vent and filler drain (small rubber) hoses at the nylon junction along the frame on the right side
4. disconnect the two fuel delivery and return hoses on the right side - notice which goes to which connection on the manifold to the pressure regulator (hard lines) - mark them.
5. remove the single retaining bolt on the right side - remove with a 6mm allen wrench.
6. lift the rear of the tank - slide rearward - lift of - up up and away

dump out whatever you want to dump out.

reassemble in reverse order!!

Echo Paul's comment...you may be more aggravated when it still will not come out of tank after all the work. I have tried to shake all the fuel out of a tank on many occasions with little success. I imagine that nickel sized paper/foil item will stick to everything when you try.
I would wait until a fuel filter replacement and look for it then when the big hole is open.

Back