• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear wheel bearings on a F800GS

17K! Seems very low. A lot of rust in bearing recess when I pulled the "good" one as well.

Have seen some high mileage failing bearings, this one by far the worst for what to me is low miles.

The tube is a $40 part, but not having the correct measurement has me planning on replacing. Not one in stock at local dealers to compare.

It is my carefully considered and deliberated hunch that this particular F800GS had been taken across at least one too many Hill Country low (or not so low) water crossings. I think it is time to cross examine the owner. :)

:wave Hey Paul,

Second owner who purchased from Wisconsin I believe. Bike in great condition overall, not seeing ride hard put up wet conditions.

I always ask folks about aiming that high pressure washer at places you shouldn't on some bikes as well as playing in creeks and rivers.

After re-reading the scary ADV thread and Woody's postings...the axle tube is a no brainer to replace if not at spec. Just would like the original dimensions to see how much may be missing from grinding.
The axle spacer rests against the bearing face and pushes against the circlips on outer side of bearings when all clamped down from what I gather

Well, the knurled end of the axle spacer has a purpose

IMG_2607.jpg

Have not checked length, but doesn't appear to be much shorter from eyeball test.

Part number appears to be same thru the model range, ending in 888

No mention of supersede, but doesn't mean it didn't

Looking at the bits that came out of hub, was curious about the shim looking ring.

The ring on the spacer is just there to keep the spacer centered on the bore until the axle shaft is pushed in. Without it, the spacer would do its job as intended if you could get everything aligned and together.

The ring on the spacer is just there to keep the spacer centered on the bore until the axle shaft is pushed in. Without it, the spacer would do its job as intended if you could get everything aligned and together.

Yeah, after looking at how it all laid out, it went back together fine today. Bearings dropped in place with freeze and heat.
Interesting that the two hub bearings were from Taiwan and the sprocket carrier was a SKF, the Taiwan bearings had more grease than the SKF, so all got a bit more rolled in anyways. All were BMW supplied.
The SKF had stamped numbering on the outer race, the Taiwanese were labeled on the grease seals, assuming the bearing spec.

Yeah, after looking at how it all laid out, it went back together fine today. Bearings dropped in place with freeze and heat.
Interesting that the two hub bearings were from Taiwan and the sprocket carrier was a SKF, the Taiwan bearings had more grease than the SKF, so all got a bit more rolled in anyways. All were BMW supplied.
The SKF had stamped numbering on the outer race, the Taiwanese were labeled on the grease seals, assuming the bearing spec.

Great Steve :thumb

Maybe post the bearing/part numbers?

Gary

I took pics of bearings, only the Taiwanese were legible... didn't proof my pic quality before install

IMG_2636.jpg

The SKF was a 6204 if my brain is working and will work in all three locations according to other forum info. Laying the two different part numbered bearings on top and on side showed no physical difference to me, so still wondering why.

Here are BMW part numbers:

(2) Grooved ball bearing 3618534835

(1) Grooved ball bearing 33818543930

(2) Shaft seal. 36318561711

(1) Spacer sleeve. 36317695888

There was some sort of crush factor IIRC. I am not familiar with a crush factor. It’s good to have the numbers. This thread is easily accessed through the “Tag Cloud”.
OM

Bumping an old thread.

I have (partly) read the thread over at adv but it’s tremendously long. I am trying to find out whether this problem cropped up on the F700GS too, or was it primarily the earlier F800GS and F650GS, before the refresh/update in 2013?

Out riding the last few times, on slow-speed deceleration with clutch engaged, I noticed a noise that reminds me of the bad wheel bearing noise my VWs from the ‘80s used to make all too often. Problem is, I can’t say for sure whether it’s a new noise, or has been there all along and I’m just now noticing it. Or whether it’s a normal drive-line noise.

Reading the various threads, I haven’t seen anyone describe the classic bad wheel bearing noise (a sort of thrumming) as a warning symptom prior to bearing failure. I’ve only seen reference to crunchy grinding bearing noise. I don’t have anything like that.

I never heard a noise. I just stumbled on what I thought was a bad bearing during a finger spin changing a tire.
It’s not a problem that “crops up”. It’s just a maintenance thing....... of the fact that it seems the “sealed” bearing “seal” would work better if grease was sealed in.
OM

I never heard a noise. I just stumbled on what I thought was a bad bearing during a finger spin changing a tire.
It’s not a problem that “crops up”. It’s just a maintenance thing....... of the fact that it seems the “sealed” bearing “seal” would work better if grease was sealed in.
OM

Reading through the adv thread, the bearing problem seems to crop up very unexpectedly. Even on low miles bikes. Lots of close calls reported, and some serious accidents too.

I still have not found an answer to whether it’s an issue on the F700GS. The F7 runs allow wheels, not spoked rims, so there are certainly differences in the driveline. Also, most of the F8 problems I’ve read about were on pre-2013 bikes.

I guess I’ll keep plowing through the threads, and studying the parts schematics.

Reading through the adv thread, the bearing problem seems to crop up very unexpectedly. Even on low miles bikes. Lots of close calls reported, and some serious accidents too.

I still have not found an answer to whether it’s an issue on the F700GS. The F7 runs allow wheels, not spoked rims, so there are certainly differences in the driveline. Also, most of the F8 problems I’ve read about were on pre-2013 bikes.

I guess I’ll keep plowing through the threads, and studying the parts schematics.

If you are that concerned, just take the wheel off and do some investigation. I get some satisfaction, and skinned knuckles, when I find something messed up as a result of another task...... like the 2 hoses that had gone bad when I was changing the spark plugs.
OM

FWIW I have been following the FXX0GS bikes closely for 10 years on three different fora and the only bearing issues I saw were with the F800GS either due to the clearance problem or water/dirt ingress.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

FWIW I have been following the FXX0GS bikes closely for 10 years on three different fora and the only bearing issues I saw were with the F800GS either due to the clearance problem or water/dirt ingress.

Interesting, I’m the last rider to be out in the rain and don’t really wash the bike :eek Sometimes I clean it off with some specialty cleaner but nothing fancy.
You can see from my picture that the grease is, as far as I’m concerned, skimpy. Just a bad (under-greased?) bearing I guess.
OM

This is exactly the sort of info I was hoping to come across - - someone who has been following it for years and paying attention to patterns. (I hadn’t even heard of this issue until after purchasing the F7.)

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

Interesting, I’m the last rider to be out in the rain and don’t really wash the bike :eek Sometimes I clean it off with some specialty cleaner but nothing fancy.
You can see from my picture that the grease is, as far as I’m concerned, skimpy. Just a bad (under-greased?) bearing I guess.
OM
I was more referring to water ingress due to water and mud crossings and not rain or washing.

Back