Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Rear wheel bearings on a F800GS

  1. #31
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    15,646
    There was some sort of crush factor IIRC. I am not familiar with a crush factor. Itís good to have the numbers. This thread is easily accessed through the ďTag CloudĒ.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Metro Washington, DC
    Posts
    670
    Bumping an old thread.

    I have (partly) read the thread over at adv but itís tremendously long. I am trying to find out whether this problem cropped up on the F700GS too, or was it primarily the earlier F800GS and F650GS, before the refresh/update in 2013?

    Out riding the last few times, on slow-speed deceleration with clutch engaged, I noticed a noise that reminds me of the bad wheel bearing noise my VWs from the Ď80s used to make all too often. Problem is, I canít say for sure whether itís a new noise, or has been there all along and Iím just now noticing it. Or whether itís a normal drive-line noise.

    Reading the various threads, I havenít seen anyone describe the classic bad wheel bearing noise (a sort of thrumming) as a warning symptom prior to bearing failure. Iíve only seen reference to crunchy grinding bearing noise. I donít have anything like that.
    2013 F700GS

  3. #33
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    15,646
    I never heard a noise. I just stumbled on what I thought was a bad bearing during a finger spin changing a tire.
    Itís not a problem that ďcrops upĒ. Itís just a maintenance thing....... of the fact that it seems the ďsealedĒ bearing ďsealĒ would work better if grease was sealed in.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  4. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Metro Washington, DC
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I never heard a noise. I just stumbled on what I thought was a bad bearing during a finger spin changing a tire.
    Itís not a problem that ďcrops upĒ. Itís just a maintenance thing....... of the fact that it seems the ďsealedĒ bearing ďsealĒ would work better if grease was sealed in.
    OM
    Reading through the adv thread, the bearing problem seems to crop up very unexpectedly. Even on low miles bikes. Lots of close calls reported, and some serious accidents too.

    I still have not found an answer to whether itís an issue on the F700GS. The F7 runs allow wheels, not spoked rims, so there are certainly differences in the driveline. Also, most of the F8 problems Iíve read about were on pre-2013 bikes.

    I guess Iíll keep plowing through the threads, and studying the parts schematics.
    2013 F700GS

  5. #35
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    15,646
    Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Reading through the adv thread, the bearing problem seems to crop up very unexpectedly. Even on low miles bikes. Lots of close calls reported, and some serious accidents too.

    I still have not found an answer to whether itís an issue on the F700GS. The F7 runs allow wheels, not spoked rims, so there are certainly differences in the driveline. Also, most of the F8 problems Iíve read about were on pre-2013 bikes.

    I guess Iíll keep plowing through the threads, and studying the parts schematics.
    If you are that concerned, just take the wheel off and do some investigation. I get some satisfaction, and skinned knuckles, when I find something messed up as a result of another task...... like the 2 hoses that had gone bad when I was changing the spark plugs.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lanark County near Ottawa ON
    Posts
    355
    FWIW I have been following the FXX0GS bikes closely for 10 years on three different fora and the only bearing issues I saw were with the F800GS either due to the clearance problem or water/dirt ingress.

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

  7. #37
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    15,646
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
    FWIW I have been following the FXX0GS bikes closely for 10 years on three different fora and the only bearing issues I saw were with the F800GS either due to the clearance problem or water/dirt ingress.

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Interesting, Iím the last rider to be out in the rain and donít really wash the bike Sometimes I clean it off with some specialty cleaner but nothing fancy.
    You can see from my picture that the grease is, as far as Iím concerned, skimpy. Just a bad (under-greased?) bearing I guess.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Metro Washington, DC
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
    FWIW I have been following the FXX0GS bikes closely for 10 years on three different fora and the only bearing issues I saw were with the F800GS either due to the clearance problem or water/dirt ingress.
    This is exactly the sort of info I was hoping to come across - - someone who has been following it for years and paying attention to patterns. (I hadnít even heard of this issue until after purchasing the F7.)

    Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.
    2013 F700GS

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lanark County near Ottawa ON
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Interesting, Iím the last rider to be out in the rain and donít really wash the bike Sometimes I clean it off with some specialty cleaner but nothing fancy.
    You can see from my picture that the grease is, as far as Iím concerned, skimpy. Just a bad (under-greased?) bearing I guess.
    OM
    I was more referring to water ingress due to water and mud crossings and not rain or washing.

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •