• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

chain & sproket time

TRJeff

This is on a 2011 F800R, I plan on changing front and rear sprockets and installing new chain next week. the front sprocket appears to be held on with a 17mm bolt. Remove chain, remove bolt and sprocket should come off am I correct? rear looks to be remove bolts and reinstall, should I use Loctite. Anything else I should watch for?

I've done it a few times on a F650GS and it sounds like you've got it. There was no loctite on any of the fasteners from the factory, so I did not use any. I did use a torque wrench.

Over on F800.org there are several "how to" videos including how to change the sprockets and chain. Good stuff located at posts 27 and 30....HERE.

Last edited:
Just did mine on my F8GS a few weeks ago.

I went with a riveted chain rather than BMWs endless loop chain, along with using aftermarket sprockets.

I had to use a gear puller to yank the front sprocket. It would not have come off with just hand pressure.
Follow (most of) the instructions in your shop manual- the differences will be if you use a riveted chain, you don't have to yank the swingarm off the bike, nor do any of the dismantling req'd to remove it.

Back