• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Killswitch for ALL lights...? Crazy? Doable?

phillip.aiuto

Adventure Rider
So I am wanting to wire in a killswitch for all the lights on my bike. I'll soon be doing some traveling in Central and South America, and the idea of being able to disappear if I need is highly appealing to me.

Anyone done this to one of their bikes before? Thoughts? Just looking for some input

Bike? Model?Year?

Anything is possible but mods to wiring harness will be be required.

Controlling the load relief relay coil comes to mind first, not that difficult.

Sorry, its a 95 R1100GS

The headlight and rear lights (brake and taillight) are running on different circuits, I kinda want to keep them that way. Might not matter, but if it didn't, why would BMW have them separate?

Just received my new Fuzeblock [www.fuzeblocks.com], so I'll be tearing into the wiring here in the next couple days to route the switch(es?). Really wanting to know of anyone who has done this before, since it will be a first for me, and I haven't had much luck searching for information

Attachments

• Left Side Full Frontal.jpg
    Left Side Full Frontal.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 101
This is easy.

Only the USA and maybe Canada bikes have no headlight switch.

Just fit the BMW switch used on rest of world bikes--easily plugs in and works.

See the blank on right switch module.

See your dealer.

I had a car with all but the headlights switch and a brake lite kill. I found it advantageous, very much so. That was 35 years ago. I do not think I would do that now.
Rod

Back in the day I had a GPz 750 that I bought used. Not sure if it was supposed to do this but after start you could turn the key back 1/2 a ntch & the engine would run but the electrics would not work. Used it a couple times after being stupid in front of cops at night to evade. I was a young stupid kid.

But good luck on the project, Im sure you will ride safer blacked out than I did.

Alright, I've got my big boy pants on, so I'm prepared to get lit up here, but lets just pretend I know absolutely nothing for the benefit of anyone else who might be checking this thread out (but mostly for me, cuz I don't really know much)

I've edited this wiring schematic for the GS with extra yellow lines for emphasis on the grounds I think would be the best to tap into. I don't think it could be this simple, but from what I've mapped out here, what else am I missing? Or is it really that simple? :scratch
From what I've been able to find, it sounds like I would need at least a 20amp relay to run the headlights through to the killswitch. With this setup I've drafted, I think I could tie it all in to one switch (as opposed to needing two separate switches: one for front lights, one for rear)

Fire away

Attachments

• 10353128_1386835138270476_6597133413814207122_n.jpg
    10353128_1386835138270476_6597133413814207122_n.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 48
Switching negative must be done very carefully. You end up putting devices in series, some of which may required to run the bike.
A mulitpole relay switching selected positives is a better design.

I have to agree with lkchris, buy the Euro switch. Probably cost less than the fuzeblock. It will give you the control you want without the need to compromise the wiring harness. The switch has an 'off' and two 'on' positions. I believe the standard settings are 1> everything off, 2> instruments, tail light, and RID on, 3> headlight on in addition. I have mine wired so the headlight is on in the first 'on' position, and the driving lights are added in the second 'on'. If you want to black out the brake light (why?), wrap a towel or something around it as desired.

Back