• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'74 R90/6 with drum brakes and Earles Fork

bobk

I'm new at this and may not be observing the proper protocols, but here goes. I have a '74 R90/6 with a '62 Watsonian Monza and a Rabid Transit fairing.
I want to remove the fairing and would like to restore the headlight and left turn signal. The large gas tank is a bit ratty and I am thinking about replacing it with a used tank from a 72 /5 for $700.00 but would consider getting it refinished, painted and pinstriped if it could be done for less. Both fenders need refinishing as well. My closest BMW dealer is Max BMW in Brookfield, CT but I would prefer a local independent shop if anyone knows of one. Also, I currently have no rear tail lights although the brake and directional lights work. I'm not sure if the fairing wiring is the culprit. A previous owner added accessory outlets and switches for radar detectors, gps, etc., none of which seem to work. All advice would be very welcome.

Welcome to the boards Bob. Are you aware that we have a side car forum? It sounds like you bought a well set up rig if it has an Earles on it, even if it is a bit rough around the edges. How does it run; any major issues in that department?

Replacing the head light could become a pricey affair. Is the original shell still on the bike? Likewise the tank. If it has any rust on the interior, or if the original red interior tank liner is chipped, peeling, etc. you'll want to strip the interior before you paint the exterior. Buying a restored tank vs. doing, or having the work done, is probably an even break; paint work isn't cheap. "Buying" a replacement is always a toss-up because you never know what you're really getting. By the time it's said and done you'll be looking at $700 either way. If your current tank is sound, I'd repaint it rather than buy another one. Just my $.02.

The electrical issues.... are always a PITA. Here's a link to the MOA Resource & Links page; wiring diagrams are about 5/8 the way down the page. This is the one for the /6 (it's a huge file) > http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/schematic1975,1976.htm

Post some shots of your rig, we'd love to see it.

Welcome, Bob! Where are you located? You can update your profile with that information. That might help with finding and independent mechanic. Contained in the links that Lew provided is a list of Airhead friendly shops. Look at the list and see if there's something near you that you can call and check out.

http://micapeak.com/bmw/Airhead-Shops.html

Back