• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Have You Seen The GEICO TV Commercial?

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
GEICO is running an ad for motorcycle insurance that shows a group of 6-8 bikes riding in close formation. I'd estimate that all the bikes are in a space most riders would want to keep for just one bike. Seems counterproductive for an insurance company to show such behavior in an ad.

Last week in the Anchorage area three riders were killed and one injured in an accident. They were riding in what the paper described as a "tandem formation". A car in the opposing lane was stopped to make a left turn across their path. The turning car was rear ended and pushed into the lane of the riders. All four riders hit the car. Had they not been in a tandem formation at least some of the riders would likely have been able to react to the situation and avoided an impact.

GEICO should wise up.

GEICO is running an ad for motorcycle insurance that shows a group of 6-8 bikes riding in close formation. I'd estimate that all the bikes are in a space most riders would want to keep for just one bike. Seems counterproductive for an insurance company to show such behavior in an ad.

Last week in the Anchorage area three riders were killed and one injured in an accident. They were riding in what the paper described as a "tandem formation". A car in the opposing lane was stopped to make a left turn across their path. The turning car was rear ended and pushed into the lane of the riders. All four riders hit the car. Had they not been in a tandem formation at least some of the riders would likely have been able to react to the situation and avoided an impact.

GEICO should wise up.

Considering the size of the H-D market, GEICO is likely following the money. Remember, they're only insuring the vehicle.......not the dimwit on top. That rube is our responsibility (medicaid) once his medical insurance limits are exhausted.

Just for the heck of it I sent a similar email to GEICO along with a recommendation that they coordinate the content of their commercials with the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It will be interesting to see what, if any, response I get.

I saw that the other day...seems it was mostly cruisers with a sportbike as well riding parade style in a curve:banghead

Had the WTH moment as it was an insurance ad...advertising company with no clue it seems

I witnessed one pair of bikes last weekend that the handlebars were almost touching! Seemed to be some sort of "see how coordinated I am" riding thing going on? Couple on one bike, single rider on the other. Not much room for defensive maneuvers huh?:banghead

The AK accident I referenced earlier was two older married couples on four bikes; HDs I believe. One couple and the wife of the other couple dead; the surviving husband injured but expected to survive. Ignorance sometimes has a heavy price. Probably nice people out having a good time, doing what they liked to do the only way they had ever been taught how to do it.

GEICO needs run the universal disclaimer "Riders on a closed course. Do not attempt."

First, it's mostly Hondas as far as I can tell, not Harleys. Second, from an advertising standpoint, one motorcycle cruising slowly along Mulholland Drive (or wherever it is) isn't all that eye catching. Eight bikes are a lot more interesting. Third, you may also note how close to the double yellow line a few bikes are on a left-hand curve, actually leaning into the oncoming lane.

So it's a flawed bit of TV. But it is good to see bikes and bikers on the tube (not "Sons of Anarchy", thank you) Kudoes to GEICO for it.

pete

There is also the practice of motorcycle manufacturers who suck up to prospective buyers by always showing "lifestyle" bikers dressed in black from head-to-toe in print and TV advertisements. Perish the thought of having someone wearing a white helmet or high-viz jacket or vest. And these manufacturers are the same ones who fund the MSF.

Harry

Having an insurance company interested in anything but keeping retained premiums is an interesting concept :brow
OM

Hats off to any acknowledgment of the practice/sport of riding by any business. Might wake up a sleeper or two as to the actual presence of bikes and warm weather. Seems it's always a left turner either re-ended or not looking.

As for my insurance money, give me a private company every time as long as it lasts. At least, for whatever I've paid, contractually, I have some standing. Maybe our Saskatchewan riders can tell of SGI's usage based trial program? Not trying to steal the thread but telemetrics and usage based is what all insurance is moving towards. Lowers costs and controls the customers. Download the data, mail out the bills. Maybe the safest riders, hi-vis, get no bill?

I'll avoid giving Geico any credit for awareness of anything except aiming for my bucks. I sure don't see the texters & talkers changing driving behavior/attentiveness over an ad like this.
The above comment, r.e. guvment insurance, has me thinking about "who" gets most of my money these days. The annual April 15th tab for living in this great country is my single largest "bill" by far! Retirement checks only & still pay as you go time. If anyone knows how to get your money, it's the guvment! recent news supports this in that we now pay more in taxes than we pay for food & lodging on the average. At least the private sector competes for our dollars.

we pay for food & lodging on the average

Ask a young person what they pay in rent or mortgage? That will re-align your planets.

Oh, and they have no pension to worry about paying taxes on, if they can ever retire. You have it good relative to what the younger folks face.

Ask a young person what they pay in rent or mortgage? That will re-align your planets.

Oh, and they have no pension to worry about paying taxes on, if they can ever retire. You have it good relative to what the younger folks
face.
I have awareness: Of our three sons, one has a large amount of "Navy money", saved when single, invested in their first house which became unsellable a few years back, after a job change. No guvmint subsidies were received, no bad credit ever, no bad anything, except a housing market gone down the tube. Meanwhile the same realtors that had "cashed in" were lamenting the situation as miserable for them too? Local contractors were trying to unload new, comparable homes for under their cost to build in the same area then. Now, they finally may be able to sell but until then he's saddled with rent plus house payments in spite of a great job. Another son the same story, bought house with lots of "Iraq wartime earned $" but in his case he's able to "commute" to his pilots job in another close-by state, so no double payments for them. They did have to rent it out previously while renting themselves-not easy!

I suppose your correct that I shouldn't complain that I pay more annually than I earned years ago, in federal taxes on our relatively meager teacher retirement checks. It was a $ sacrifice I chose to make.And of course "they" also dock most of my SS check based on the teachers retirement check! Worked for chicken feed, now live on it?:laugh

When I first came home from Vietnam back in 72, they were asking $130 a month for rent, and I was always worried of making the rent payment, off my grocery store salary. I'd even saved up close to $1000 with my hazardous duty pay from overseas, but times were tough back then too.... No real jobs available, (working in a grocery store was like working for Micky D's now) so I went to work, went back to school on nights, and worked my way up to a very pleasant live now. No one supported me, nor did I seek out a disability from the government for my hearing disability from a couple of way too close claymores going off. So from my point of view, the kids today coming back from service don't have it any tougher than I did. Different, yes, as times change, but there is still sufficient opportunity out there if someone wants to look for it and work their tail off. How may of the kids out there now are willing to work 2 jobs a day, save their ass off, do without the newest car or boat, or (BMW, Harley, etc) for when they can afford it. And for what it's worth, the economic model we use in this country will always have boom or bust cycles, good housing and poor housing cycles. Everyone blames the government for making it easy to purchase a home, which caused the bubble, but common sense tells you that if you can't afford to make payments of your home if you lose your job, your going to lose it..... That's the way our system works. Trouble is, it then affects everyone else in the market, and all take a hit, but it's like the stock market, you only lose if you have to sell. Wait long enough, and prices rebound, (unless you paid way too much for the property in the first place).

I suppose your correct that I shouldn't complain that I pay more annually than I earned years ago, in federal taxes on our relatively meager teacher retirement checks. It was a $ sacrifice I chose to make.And of course "they" also dock most of my SS check based on the teachers retirement check! Worked for chicken feed, now live on it?:laugh

In my state, they are always talking about offering local property tax cuts. How do they intend on paying for those tax cuts? Simple........Eliminating the teacher pensions for the young teachers while telling the current retirees (i.e. voters) they'll likely die before the fund is exhausted. Yep, that's fair.

Why shouldn't you pay taxes on the SS and pension benefits? Everybody else pays taxes on income.

I just like seeing bikes in commercials.

GEICO

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uHegtru669I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FOOD H-D Style
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m-GohM2NPMU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FOOD BMW Style

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nNk-AlItkgo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry for the hijack...return to your rants. :)

In my state, they are always talking about offering local property tax cuts. How do they intend on paying for those tax cuts? Simple........Eliminating the teacher pensions for the young teachers while telling the current retirees (i.e. voters) they'll likely die before the fund is exhausted. Yep, that's fair.

Why shouldn't you pay taxes on the SS and pension benefits? Everybody else pays taxes on income.
"earned income" vs. income from "pensions & benefits"
My point is that taxing me in retirement when I have a much lower "income" is at a time when I can least afford it. Many retirees don't have COL to help them either.

My old employer(the KCTCS "tech system" in KY) pays for the perks of big guys & new bldgs. in part via hiring mostly contract teachers with hardly any benefits. I question how you get (as in the right person)someone to leave a good job for a bad one to teach? The retiring guru/pres. of the system is in the news now as getting a golden parachute of ~$400k annually (as payed when working) to "provide assistance as needed" to the new pres! He also gets a $90k annual housing allowance since ~1999 & a $3600 monthly vehicle allowance (it used to be a new Mercedes each year)-this in a state that's poor, meanwhile tuition (the other part of the way they pay for stuff) is piled on the backs of students-many of which are poor & borrowing the money to then earn from low paying entry level jobs in the end.
back to Geico...

:lurk I thought that's what this thread was about?? :banghead

Yeah, but............Whenever the classic "I want my Cake and eat it too" discussion is offered, it's ever so hard to not to swing away at the big juicy softball as it lazily arcs over the plate......

I apologize for my part of the hijack.

Back