• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is Waving To Fellow Bike Riders Still An Accepted Practice?

This one may be for the record.... an oncoming bicyclist waved at me this morning. I was so surprised that I didn't have time to wave back before I passed him.

This one may be for the record.... an oncoming bicyclist waved at me this morning. I was so surprised that I didn't have time to wave back before I passed him.

Here in the Big Bend (Texas) that happens all the time. I'm surprised it doesn't happen elsewhere too. It seems to be a bit of "us" on two wheels (engine or not) against "them" - those folks in cars and trucks.

Where I ride, I could be waving every 30 seconds. Take a count on how often that is during an 8 hour ride and you get a bit tired after a while.

If I was riding someplace where I met another vehicle of any type every 30 seconds, I would start to look for a less congested playground. Where I live I can ride 53 miles into town and meet maybe 4 or 5 cars on a busy day.

Heading east in Washington State towards Spokane Washington after the Salem rally last year, (doing 95+MPH) I saw blinking lights in the distance. Thinking it was someone from the rally broken down, I slowed down and started to pull off the highway to offer assistance, only to find it was a State Copper with radar on me.....Acting cool as I rode up to him, I waved, and shouted that I was sorry to bother him, as I thought he was broken down.... He laughed loud enough for me to hear him while still riding up to him, and he just waved me on my way....... Now that's the kind of wave that you like to receive....:wave

Everybody

If I'm not I. Traffic or on a technical twisty bit, I wave at everybody. If I need two hands it'll be a nod. As for riders on HDs, I think it's the long time riders and folks who have ridden other brands in the past, frequently wave or nod back. The cool newbys don't. To and from NC two weeks ago and while riding all those great roads, almost everyone acknowledged each other in some way. Frequently at some lookout spot we'd all be yacking about the roads not the bikes.

Went out for mid-week solo ride today, gusty winds keeping both hands on bars most of the time...had an old fella on a Roadglide make his wave initiation as he passed in the opposite direction only to quickly go back to full on both hands when he crossed the centerline...one of those times it's best NOT to wave:laugh

Question about this: fingers pointing? Two fingers for doubles/twins? Is that right? I have a K11LT. Four fingers? Is that even a thing on the waving etiquette?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Where I live I can ride 53 miles into town and meet maybe 4 or 5 cars on a busy day.

A few years ago I rode from Ft. Stockton to Sanderson. I think I may have met 2 or 3 cars in that approx. 60 stretch! You live in an awesome area!

Two fingers for two wheels? Is that right? Not cylinders.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's my understanding that 2 fingers pointed down means keep your 2 wheels on the road.
I wonder what the guy I see on my commute on the Ducati means when he waves with 1 finger pointing down? Wheelie time?:clap

On my ride in the park on my roadie bike last morning almost everyone peddling or walking waved, nodded and said, " hi there." A couple said nothing as they zoomed by in Tour de France stretchies. Didn't see one chopper.

Should I wave? How should I wave, like this or like that? What if they don't wave back? What if I am riding my Harley and a brother sees me wave up high?

Therapists across the country are missing out on a huge business opportunity in treating Motorcycle Wave Neurosis.

Here's a thought...if you're going to wave, make sure it's an actual wave. Two fingers lifted off the left hand grip will likely be missed resulting in the aforementioned psychiatric neurosis.

Last edited:
Waving is always good, unless it's Rick Mayer. We've decided not to wave at Rick.

Anybody else on the do not wave list?

Back