Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 187

Thread: Is Waving To Fellow Bike Riders Still An Accepted Practice?

  1. #61
    someone asked way back what the wave signifies...my understanding is it's akin to a fraternity handshake, and it is properly done with two fingers signifying two wheels. Not a Harley thing.


    Those who don't, but safely could I attribute to them being a noob and not knowing, or old, grizzled, curmudgeonly and not caring

    I wave to most everyone, when safe, and nod when appropriate. This definitely include bicycles in the middle of nowhere.
    Out on the road, almost all return the wave if not initiate it (I do the low one, btw, and gotta get it "just right" for ultimate cool )
    I find those who do not return it are likely scooter riders, or Goldwings, not so much HD. The more obscure the location the more likely the wave.

  2. #62
    Registered User ItsPhilD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by JayElDee View Post
    someone asked way back what the wave signifies...my understanding is it's akin to a fraternity handshake, and it is properly done with two fingers signifying two wheels.
    I always wave with one pointed finger. That's to signify I'm riding the world's number one motorcycle, a BMW!

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  3. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    2,290
    I'm not sure I'd attribute waving or not to a brand.

    Acknowledging other riders all the time is old school and still done by many of us who learned quite a few decades ago. I sure don't want to own a cruiser but I've been known to stop and assist cruiser riders with problems- my on board tools and knowledge will work on most brands. I've had cruiser riders pull up and ask if I needed any assistance when simply at a routine stop; always an appreciated gesture.

    I go out my way to wave at folks on liquor-cycles (could have been me if I'd had bad luck in my youth) and scooters (I actually like scooter folks though I don't want to own a scooter).

    And waving at cruiser types afraid of dragging a foot board while I'm doing twisties in NC mountains is pretty much my only form of taunting cruiser riders. I suppose it could more charitably be construed to be educating them about the superior handling of other types of motorcycles.

    Here in the south, most wave. I suspect many of the non-waving cruiser types are noobs who maybe ride 1-2K miles a year. The guys you can tell are the all year, every day riders wave- they even can recognize each other because the population isn't that huge and you may see the same guys every few days. That's why I know most cruiser riders are sunny day only types. I see the commuter types frequently but they are low number; the numbers go up 5-10 fold on sunny weekends.

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lincoln County, NC
    Posts
    31

    I wave

    Two friends and I were on a short Sunday afternoon ride. One of my friends was on an R1200RT (which is why I now have one) and the other 2 of us were on Harleys. Other groups of Harley riders were spotty on returning our wave or would wait til my friend on the Beemer (who was leading) passed and returned our waves. I didn't realize they were like that as I have ridden Harleys for many years. I did notice that when I traded my Harley Ultra Classic for an R1200RT that I don't get as many return waves from Harley riders. As a Harley rider, I was usually the one who initiated the wave, sometimes even to guys on Mopeds. I think it has much to do with their thinking that someone on another mark just isn't worthy of their time, but it is gnenerally those who think they are the "1%'ers" but are really just wannbes.

  5. #65
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,438
    I never thought anything about waving at fellow riders because it is automatic. As I grew up deep in the mountains of Appalachia, almost everyone waved at oncoming vehicles regardless of what they were. Since we were friends with or related to almost everyone on the road, we greeted everyone (and frequently still do) and waving at an infrequent stranger was OK. Back then, we also waved at people sitting on their porch or in their yard. However, AC and entertainment distractions has eliminated most of that.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  6. #66
    I'm heartbroken. This morning while on my R69S I waved to a scooter and he didn't wave back.


  7. #67
    Small road corner junkie pffog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    ................... Back then, we also waved at people sitting on their porch or in their yard. However, AC and entertainment distractions has eliminated most of that.
    I still do when in your back yard. Just got back from 10 days and 2500+ miles in your neighborhood, waved at hundreds of people on porches, chopping wood, getting the mail, pounding nails, fishing etc.

    To take this up notch, when did some BMW riders get so uppity, they stopped checking if a rider needed help???

    Yesterday up on RT 16, 15 miles N of Osbornk, my 74 year old friend low sided, and biffed the guardrail. He was unhurt, but the front wheel caught a guardrail post and was collapsed. As we sat on the side of the road, the F800GS leaning against the guardrail facing the wrong direction and waiting for rescue, a group of 2 R12GS, A K16, and a Vstrom rolled buy, never slowing, waving, or asking if we needed assistance. Meanwhile 3 separate HD riders (100%) stopped, to ask if they could help, along with countless people in cars and PU trucks.

    It is a slow section, so there was no way they could not see it was a fellow BMW rider, and easily stopped to ask. Guess they were in a hurry to find a Starbucks! All I will say is I hope they never get the same treatment if they have a problem in the future. Karma can be a bitch!
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,358
    Do folks "hold up their finger on the steering wheel" when they drive by in your area? No, I don't mean "giving the finger". Common in some rural places & virtually never seen in larger towns or cities. people wave at you from their yard/porch where I live. My widowed MIL in her 90's & her 80's single sister get porch waves constantly from their hwy facing porch-I kid them, it's boyfriend waves...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  9. #69
    Registered User ehenneberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montoursville, PA
    Posts
    26
    I wave at the Amish working in the fields....sometimes they wave back! You got to respect a guy who still plows with a team of horses, right?
    Eric
    82 XLS1000 Sportster, 86 FXRS-SP, 95 R1100RSL, 07 R1200RT, 15 R1200RT

  10. #70
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,438
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    I still do when in your back yard. Just got back from 10 days and 2500+ miles in your neighborhood, waved at hundreds of people on porches, chopping wood, getting the mail, pounding nails, fishing etc.

    To take this up notch, when did some BMW riders get so uppity, they stopped checking if a rider needed help???

    Yesterday up on RT 16, 15 miles N of Osbornk, my 74 year old friend low sided, and biffed the guardrail. He was unhurt, but the front wheel caught a guardrail post and was collapsed. As we sat on the side of the road, the F800GS leaning against the guardrail facing the wrong direction and waiting for rescue, a group of 2 R12GS, A K16, and a Vstrom rolled buy, never slowing, waving, or asking if we needed assistance. Meanwhile 3 separate HD riders (100%) stopped, to ask if they could help, along with countless people in cars and PU trucks.

    It is a slow section, so there was no way they could not see it was a fellow BMW rider, and easily stopped to ask. Guess they were in a hurry to find a Starbucks! All I will say is I hope they never get the same treatment if they have a problem in the future. Karma can be a bitch!
    The BMWs and Vstrom were not local folks. The lone R12GS owner I know would have stopped and I'm not aware of any K16s or Vstrom owners locally. The HD riders could have been local as we are covered up with them. If they were looking for a Starbucks, they had to ride a long way to find one.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  11. #71
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    6,848
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenneberger View Post
    I wave at the Amish working in the fields....sometimes they wave back! You got to respect a guy who still plows with a team of horses, right?
    They usually wave.

    Not much else to do........

  12. #72
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    8,784
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenneberger View Post
    I wave at the Amish working in the fields....sometimes they wave back! You got to respect a guy who still plows with a team of horses, right?
    I respect the horses.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

  13. #73
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    6,848
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I respect the horses.
    The Amish are OK, but with a different lifestyle. The more affluent Amish use mules which are stronger, but more expensive to purchase.

  14. #74
    Registered User lmo1131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,987
    The Amish are OK, but with a different lifestyle.
    ... kinda like BMW motorcyclists, huh?
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

  15. #75
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    6,848
    Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    ... kinda like BMW motorcyclists, huh?
    The Amish aren't that strange.......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •