Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Waving To Fellow Bike Riders Still An Accepted Practice?

Today before reading this thread, I waved to many H D riders and most waved back, and later I waved to a Bmw GS rider, with no, repeat no return wave. I was really disappointed. I then realized I was on my super glide, but to make it more complicated I had my Arrai full face, Bmw hi viz. jacket and pants on. Only HD boots which I wear on my Bmw Rt because of being 5'6' and shrinking. The around boots, which I seldom wear, are challenging when on the Rt, 30" seat, which is a great bike/time machine. They would be fine with the 26" Seat.

Normally on the RT it's a fairly good return on the HD touring bikes and of course higher with BMW.

As a career military guy I was always moving and traveling alone so being friendly/polite was a way to survive. Missiles or no missiles.

R/

RPW

IBA #54421
    2009 R1200rt
    2013 HD superglide 110 anniversary

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffd View Post
    I wave to everybody. Heck, I even wave to bicycle riders and people on lawn mowers. Don't really care if they wave back or not.
    Jeff
    Same here, I especially love waving to others mid corner while dragging the pegs.

Saw a rider coming coming my way yesterday, with ape hangers so high he looked like he was being robbed. So when he got close I extended my arm straight over my head and waved frantically
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    +1

I wave because it is polite. I am responsible for my manners and can't really do much about some other rider's - whom I have never met and may never meet except as bikes passing on the road.
    I wave because I don't want to be a jerk, but honestly, mid-summer, I get sick of all the waving. Can't we all just assume we like each other and leave it at that? I mean, come on.

I have a pretty hard time getting the real pirates to wave back. Me on my old GS in a hi-vis coat. Just not cool I guess.

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    I wave to all!

'02 R1150RT

I usually wave if I can. Or nod if too busy to wave. I've been surprised at the number of HD riders who do wave back. A while back I even waved at a cop and he waved back. Then again he was on a BMW...
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

I get a kick out of the "cool" Harley "wave"....not really a wave as it's just like a slow signal of days past. And the other cruiser riders adopt it so they are cool too. Sometimes I think they do that so people can't see them wave....that would be not cool. And it's subtle just in case the other rider doesn't wave back; there wave is not just hanging out there. I fell into that at first on my Harleys but then I just refused to follow the crowd and waved normally.
    Larry
    Midnight Blue 2013 BMW R1200RT (36,092 miles from 9/24/13 thru 9/23/2014)
    2010 Harley Road Glide (gone after 61,964 miles)
    2001 Harley Electra Glide (gone after 138,048 miles)

For boaters too, you have to learn the etiquette. Sail boaters wave at other sailboaters, power boaters wave at other power boaters, particularly if they have a smaller power boat.
    Sailors and power boaters have a one fingered wave for each other.
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    +1

I wave because it is polite. I am responsible for my manners and can't really do much about some other rider's - whom I have never met and may never meet except as bikes passing on the road.
    +1
    2021 R1250GS Triple Black
    Previous: 2012 F650GS

P Monk

Is that a wave?

I thought they were pointing out the oil puddles they were leaving on the road!

One think I always got a kick out of in New Mexico was that everyone waved at everyone no matter what they were on or in.

I try not to be rude but when I am in a curve or lot's of traffic, I prefer to keep my hands on the handlebars.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole), 2011 R1200RT.

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    For boaters too, you have to learn the etiquette. Sail boaters wave at other sailboaters, power boaters wave at other power boaters, particularly if they have a smaller power boat.
    Sailors and power boaters have a one fingered wave for each other.
    dc
    I thought boaters did a "shot across the bow routine" when greeting each other...so does that have a different meaning?
    '17 RT
    MOA #46783

Southern Hospitality

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDabbs View Post
    Here in Virginia, all the Harley riders wave to me, and I wave back.
    That is expected in the good old south. Two friends and I spent a week at the University of Virginia in Richmond. We were there for a Civil War
    vacation. The people were so friendly it is true what they say about southern hospitality.
    It is also a beautiful State! Some of the country roads we took through West VA and Pennsylvania were awesome bike roads.
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dpmonk View Post
    I thought they were pointing out the oil puddles they were leaving on the road!

One think I always got a kick out of in New Mexico was that everyone waved at everyone no matter what they were on or in.

I try not to be rude but when I am in a curve or lot's of traffic, I prefer to keep my hands on the handlebars.
    In Oklahoma everyone waves because they are all related
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Blacque Jacque Shellacque View Post
    It is my understanding that it's against Harley code to wave at non Harley riders. Those that do, likely have poor eyesight or have simply not noticed what you are riding. The cylinders on my R1150RS are fairly prominent as it has no fairing lowers. This makes my identity much easier to spot at speed, therefore I rarely receive a return wave.
    Maybe if the Harley Riders are caught waving to a non-Harley guy they are branded. Branded may include riding without the vest and chains.
    Oh the cruel cruel world.
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

My first introduction to the road wave stared when I purchased my first Jeep Wrangler in 2000. Seems like it was a the thing to do, but now, with the same 2000 yellow Wrangler, I hardly ever wave or find that I am waved to. Maybe with their increased market share, with too many jeeps on the road, it's become a thing of the past! Sigh.... The same thing will probably happen with MC riding as it becomes more popular as a sport. At least it sure seems that there are a lot more MC's on the road now, especially on the weekends. So, although I will wave when waved to, and since I use my bike much more as a regular vehicle than just a weekend thing, the wave seems to be moving out to sea......

Smile

Waves???????

When on the 1600 a lot of waves......... But on the C650 scoot they all look the other way
    Jack Watson
    BMWMOA #125089
    2014 K1600GTL
    2013 C650GT