• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is Waving To Fellow Bike Riders Still An Accepted Practice?

Southern Hospitality

Here in Virginia, all the Harley riders wave to me, and I wave back.

That is expected in the good old south. Two friends and I spent a week at the University of Virginia in Richmond. We were there for a Civil War
vacation. The people were so friendly it is true what they say about southern hospitality.
It is also a beautiful State! Some of the country roads we took through West VA and Pennsylvania were awesome bike roads.

I thought they were pointing out the oil puddles they were leaving on the road!

One think I always got a kick out of in New Mexico was that everyone waved at everyone no matter what they were on or in.

I try not to be rude but when I am in a curve or lot's of traffic, I prefer to keep my hands on the handlebars.
In Oklahoma everyone waves because they are all related

It is my understanding that it's against Harley code to wave at non Harley riders. Those that do, likely have poor eyesight or have simply not noticed what you are riding. The cylinders on my R1150RS are fairly prominent as it has no fairing lowers. This makes my identity much easier to spot at speed, therefore I rarely receive a return wave.

Maybe if the Harley Riders are caught waving to a non-Harley guy they are branded. Branded may include riding without the vest and chains.
Oh the cruel cruel world.

My first introduction to the road wave stared when I purchased my first Jeep Wrangler in 2000. Seems like it was a the thing to do, but now, with the same 2000 yellow Wrangler, I hardly ever wave or find that I am waved to. Maybe with their increased market share, with too many jeeps on the road, it's become a thing of the past! Sigh.... The same thing will probably happen with MC riding as it becomes more popular as a sport. At least it sure seems that there are a lot more MC's on the road now, especially on the weekends. So, although I will wave when waved to, and since I use my bike much more as a regular vehicle than just a weekend thing, the wave seems to be moving out to sea......:wave

Waves???????

When on the 1600 a lot of waves......... But on the C650 scoot they all look the other way

In Oklahoma everyone waves because they are all related

Lived in OK once and was just there for a visit. Down there it is the one finger (index finger) pointed straight up while keeping the remaining fingers on the top of the pick-up truck's steering wheel. :wave

In Winter time/cool weather I wave. Summer time, I don't wave much because in Calif during the summer there are so many bikes on the road a person would be constantly waving.

My first introduction to the road wave stared when I purchased my first Jeep Wrangler in 2000. Seems like it was a the thing to do, but now, with the same 2000 yellow Wrangler, I hardly ever wave or find that I am waved to. Maybe with their increased market share, with too many jeeps on the road, it's become a thing of the past! Sigh.... The same thing will probably happen with MC riding as it becomes more popular as a sport. At least it sure seems that there are a lot more MC's on the road now, especially on the weekends. So, although I will wave when waved to, and since I use my bike much more as a regular vehicle than just a weekend thing, the wave seems to be moving out to sea......:wave

This is true, when I bought a brand new 1983 Jeep Renagade, Jeep people all waved at each other. I also had a couple 65-66 Corvettes and up until the new style vettes they all waved to each other, not any more. I think it is probably a bitch to text and wave at the same time.

I really like keeping my hands on the bars so a lot of times I do not wave back but it's not out of being rude.

The worst was when I owned my Harley Softail. There is an inherent urge for other Harley riders to wave at each other as some sort of mental connection. At some point I just stopped and really didn't care about being rude, it was getting too ridiculous... would rather yell out "Yes, I have a Harley, you have a Harley, what a coincidence, there's 50 million of these things on the road" enough!

If someone on a scooter or little cc bike waves and I can wave I do make the effort. I don't know why? Guess I'm just a grumpy old guy.

Lived in OK once and was just there for a visit. Down there it is the one finger (index finger) pointed straight up while keeping the remaining fingers on the top of the pick-up truck's steering wheel. :wave

That's half the Dodge Nod around here, finger lift from wheel and a head nod...to other trucks of course:wave

I return waves to HD riders but I try not to initiate. I also don't give the HD 2 finger down low wave. I lift my fingers up off the clutch hand. When I feel rebellious, I will put on cruise control and wave high with the right hand.

I really like keeping my hands on the bars so a lot of times I do not wave back but it's not out of being rude.

When I lived in Europe, "the wave" was accomplished by sticking your foot out. No need to take your hands off of the bar.

Toyota waves

Back in 1981, I purchased a Toyota pick-up and this was unbelievable.... I do not think of ever meeting another Toyota truck on the road where the driver did not wave. It was 100% WAVE-ON. 30 some years later, still driving toyota trucks and no one waves. Times change..... I wave to all bikes I meet while driving mine.
Rob.

Back in 1981, I purchased a Toyota pick-up and this was unbelievable.... I do not think of ever meeting another Toyota truck on the road where the driver did not wave. It was 100% WAVE-ON. 30 some years later, still driving toyota trucks and no one waves. Times change..... I wave to all bikes I meet while driving mine.
Rob.

30-yrs ago, your Toyota pickup was a most wondrous thing. No options and good as gold until body rusted away..... It's no mystery why they are loved in the third world.

Today, that little Toyota pick-up is the same size and weight as a 1965 Ford F250 and it's just a soft and fat SUV with an open bed. As such, why wave...........

That's half the Dodge Nod around here, finger lift from wheel and a head nod...to other trucks of course:wave

Sorry, but you're mis-reading that Dodge Nod. The raised finger is "hello". The nod is "you're cute".

Proceed accordingly.......

Last edited:
Sorry, but you're miss reading that Dodge Nod. The raised finger is "hello". The nod is "you're cute".

Proceed accordingly.......

Let me put that into context for Henzilla. The finger is for you, the wave is for Helen.

Waves???????

When on the 1600 a lot of waves......... But on the C650 scoot they all look the other way

I get a lot of waves on my Burgman 650. They wave before they realize it is not a Suzuki sport bike.

I always wave WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO.

spot on brewman!:wave
I find it "socially interesting" that MC people & hikers have this "waving on the road/hello on the trail thing" going on between people that would mostly never speak or wave in any other circumstance.:wave Yeh, I know, the brotherhood of riders & all that stuff?:brow HD's don't wave as often(at me) but that's OK, cause I don't either & it's not a brand thing with me as I really don't care what you buy/ride.:wave FWIW, I wave on occasion but more often I don't, as busy riding.:wave Sitting for a break the other day at the "Dragon entrance" I saw several distinct groups-crotch people,cruiser/rumbly bike people, fast cars with exhaust & chips people & the BMW, etc. group & they were not mixing. :wave FWIW, enroute, the only riders I waved at were the two cops on the straight @ the end riding herd over the mess. :wave
In today's society just try asking a stranger (I'm thinking urban environment, not leaning on the fence in my "neighborhood") for directions,etc.- I've done it many times & they're afraid of their shadow!:wave Not to go racial here but blacks are far more likely to be helpful in the city.:wave When I travel in Mexico anyone will likely engage you in a helping conversation (and cops- just like here are very helpful) & people still coo over babies & little kids-quite the contrast to here & now.:wave
Next question: do they wave with the right hand in UK,Japan & other drive on the wrong side countries? :wave

I get a lot of waves on my Burgman 650. They wave before they realize it is not a Suzuki sport bike.
In the case of osbornk & myself-they wave cause they were taught to be nice to senior citizens...:hug
grandpa is a nice guy syndrome? yep, it's raining...

Back