• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is Waving To Fellow Bike Riders Still An Accepted Practice?

It is my understanding that it's against Harley code to wave at non Harley riders. Those that do, likely have poor eyesight or have simply not noticed what you are riding. The cylinders on my R1150RS are fairly prominent as it has no fairing lowers. This makes my identity much easier to spot at speed, therefore I rarely receive a return wave.

I usually give the wave; however, I will sometimes nod back if I can't remove my hands from the handlebars.

It also took a while after getting back into riding--I rode dirt as a kid--to learn about the wave. With a lot middle aged folks getting into riding, it's possible they do not know about the wave. Or-as other people have said-just not experienced enough to let go of the handlebar to wave.

Same experience here. . . Wave at everything but the pirates wave back about 1/2 the time. The closer they look to Blackbeard the less likely to wave, if dressed like normal folks I'd say they wave back as much as anyone. I call it the Captain Morgan syndrome

I wave to anyone and everyone, regardless of their vehicle--if it moves, I wave to the pilot. Probably for the same reasons, I speak to folks when I meet them on the street or in the mall or in a business or wherever I meet them. If someone makes eye contact with me--and I am constantly looking at faces and eyes for that eye contact--then I speak, usually a simple "howdy" or "hello" or something similar. Likely comes from my upbringing in small communities, I've noticed that folks raised in larger cities are different from me in lots of ways.

Well, it depends on if you are in the city or not, first.
They what type of bike you are on, and what type of bike they are on. And a lot of other factors.
It takes a long time to learn all the protocol of it.
Give it a few more years and you should have it figured out.
dc

Today before reading this thread, I waved to many H D riders and most waved back, and later I waved to a Bmw GS rider, with no, repeat no return wave. I was really disappointed. I then realized I was on my super glide, but to make it more complicated I had my Arrai full face, Bmw hi viz. jacket and pants on. Only HD boots which I wear on my Bmw Rt because of being 5'6' and shrinking. The around boots, which I seldom wear, are challenging when on the Rt, 30" seat, which is a great bike/time machine. They would be fine with the 26" Seat.

Normally on the RT it's a fairly good return on the HD touring bikes and of course higher with BMW.

As a career military guy I was always moving and traveling alone so being friendly/polite was a way to survive. Missiles or no missiles.

R/

RPW

IBA #54421
2009 R1200rt
2013 HD superglide 110 anniversary

I wave to everybody. Heck, I even wave to bicycle riders and people on lawn mowers. Don't really care if they wave back or not.
Jeff

Same here, I especially love waving to others mid corner while dragging the pegs.

Saw a rider coming coming my way yesterday, with ape hangers so high he looked like he was being robbed. So when he got close I extended my arm straight over my head and waved frantically :D

+1

I wave because it is polite. I am responsible for my manners and can't really do much about some other rider's - whom I have never met and may never meet except as bikes passing on the road.

I wave because I don't want to be a jerk, but honestly, mid-summer, I get sick of all the waving. Can't we all just assume we like each other and leave it at that? I mean, come on.

I have a pretty hard time getting the real pirates to wave back. Me on my old GS in a hi-vis coat. Just not cool I guess.

I usually wave if I can. Or nod if too busy to wave. I've been surprised at the number of HD riders who do wave back. A while back I even waved at a cop and he waved back. Then again he was on a BMW...

I get a kick out of the "cool" Harley "wave"....not really a wave as it's just like a slow signal of days past. And the other cruiser riders adopt it so they are cool too. Sometimes I think they do that so people can't see them wave....that would be not cool. And it's subtle just in case the other rider doesn't wave back; there wave is not just hanging out there. I fell into that at first on my Harleys but then I just refused to follow the crowd and waved normally.

For boaters too, you have to learn the etiquette. Sail boaters wave at other sailboaters, power boaters wave at other power boaters, particularly if they have a smaller power boat.
Sailors and power boaters have a one fingered wave for each other.
dc

Is that a wave?

I thought they were pointing out the oil puddles they were leaving on the road!

One think I always got a kick out of in New Mexico was that everyone waved at everyone no matter what they were on or in.

I try not to be rude but when I am in a curve or lot's of traffic, I prefer to keep my hands on the handlebars.

For boaters too, you have to learn the etiquette. Sail boaters wave at other sailboaters, power boaters wave at other power boaters, particularly if they have a smaller power boat.
Sailors and power boaters have a one fingered wave for each other.
dc

I thought boaters did a "shot across the bow routine" when greeting each other...so does that have a different meaning?

Back