• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is Waving To Fellow Bike Riders Still An Accepted Practice?

Just finished a California to Maryland solo ride, US 50 mainly. Over six days, I waved to every rider I saw and received a return wave at least 95% of the time. I often found myself checking my mirror to see if I’d actually missed a bike that I saw in my peripheral vision (I hadn’t). I didn’t see any riders in a couple of states… Kansas (surprisingly, though it was Tuesday) and Kentucky (I was on the interstate early am between Louisville and Lexington), I think. In Nevada, several Harley “bikers” ahead of me gave a road hazard foot signal at one point (including the last rider).

I still do, since most riders in Northern California still do it, except for the occasional rider who doesn't. Out of habit, I have waved to LEOs and most of them wave back.

I still do, since most riders in Northern California still do it, except for the occasional rider who doesn't. Out of habit, I have waved to LEOs and most of them wave back.
Or maybe they are a member of BayAreaRidersForum (BARF)

50145988122_118ffe5e13_z.jpg

I wave when I can, but when I am texting and riding I am too busy for it. I always ignore Harley's as I can's stand their bikes and Honda riders are weird too.. The middle finger is a gem in most cases, specially flipping off 18 wheelers and soccer moms. Crotch rockets can KMA as well, as flip flops and a T-shirt aren't real riding gear....:laugh :whistle :jester

Seriously, I wave when I can as it is still more common than not.
The ADV salute is an acquired taste :D but if you have an ADV sticker on your bike you'd better be prepared for it..:laugh I remember years ago some hapless guy had an FYYFF and ADV decal on the bike and was wondering why he got the salute.. He asked me what was wrong with those people and I had to explain what the FYYFF meant as well as the 'salute'.... He promptly removed the stickers.....:rofl

I wave all the time.

Did an experiment a couple weeks ago on a bicycle camping tour from Eugene, OR to Crescent City, CA down 101. Wife and I were on a fully bagged up tandem in a party with three other single bikes (sons and BIL).

For the fist couple days I waved at vehicles who passed us with care and then using a single digit wave after the fact when a truck with logs or a maniacal RV rig buzzed us.

During the last few days I waved BEFORE the vehicle arrived behind us to let them know I appreciated what decision they would make in a situation which was not optimal for either of us. I also waved at all lumber trucks coming from the opposite direction who would likely be coming back by us to the mill later on. The result was that not one single vehicle buzzed us from that point on.

I think it is hard wired in all people to be nice and what happens on the road is that many people lose sight that they are on the road with other "human beings". When you stand up on the bike, wave, weave back and forth or even turn your head you are reminding all those around you that you are a fellow human being. Also, by "waving" I mean "waving", not pointing at the ground, a peace sign, hang loose, or any other gesture.

I'm a waver

I wave at everyone. Cars, trucks, bicycles, motorcycles, scooters and even Harleys. I get a wave back 95% of the time. Harleys seem to be the 5%. I can only guess that they're afraid to take their hands off the bars. I've also been known to give the BARF salute when well deserved.

Back