• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is Waving To Fellow Bike Riders Still An Accepted Practice?

I like to own several different categories of bikes just to play with the "wave"

It's really funny the different results you get between riding a big HD touring bike, a Sportster, sportbike and adv bike.

My favorite ride for this comparison is my wife's (very) lowered 1200 Sportster. Get a lot of chuckles from the HD crowd as they ride by on the same bike I have sitting in the garage, marveling at their superiority :)
I'm a long time HD rider and still love mine along with the rest but I would say that in all my years riding, I've found the HD crowd to be the most... say... brand dependent?

To be fair, I've noticed the same effect, to a lesser degree from ALL categories. I think you just tend to notice someone riding the same bike as you more than others. That, and at some point, you just stop intentionally looking for other bikes to wave at. I'm sure I've gone many miles with many waving riders going the opposite way that I didn't even notice.

I don't usually initiate the wave and found more than 1/2 the time the other rider will regardless of brand. I recently bought a hi vis jacket and now everyone waves. Also when I am riding in colder temps, 40's and lower a lot more riders wave.

When you live deep in the mountains where there are not a lot of people, you tend to wave at everyone. We're just glad to see someone else. I wave at others on motorcycles, horses, lawn mowers, cars, trucks, etc. as well as people sitting on porches, fishing or just walking along the road. Besides, we probably already know the folks we meet or see.

The Leelanau Wave

In our part of northwest lower Michigan, most people mostly wave or nod all of the time, regardless of mode of transportation. Acknowledging someone else's presence in the world is a good thing to do. Try adding a smile and you will feel even better.

Retired in Northern Michigan

Was out for a ride in the country Tuesday (it's gonna be cold here real soon in the Great White North) and passed a slower exceptionally clean blue/white K100 RS going about 5 mph slower. As I passed, I gave him an acknowledgement, courtesy wave and continued on a few miles up the road until I hit a red light for my left turn, He slowed down and and yelled "nice bike" and I replied "you too".
Still had the smile on my face when I got home and I'm sure he did as well.
Learned to ride in Germany when my father was stationed there with the army. Everyone waved and I still do to all riders and flash my lights to warn of speed traps etc.
It's not just the waving, it's the camaraderie we share. While stranded in Toronto on a late Sunday afternoon, waiting for my wife to pick me up (my K100 RT would not run any longer due to an air flow metering problem) an R 100RT rider made a U turn and asked if I needed help due the look on my face. I thanked him and waited for my wife and the car, but it's that kind kinship that we share.
Yeah, some riders don't wave, but I like what Paul said, I'm only responsible for my own actions. Keep riding and waving!

Stopping for broken down riders, too!

Stopping for fellow riders that look like they might have broken down is also a nice custom. Unfortunately my last two attempts were failures/misdiagnostics. One rider (Harley) had only pulled over to use his cell phone, and the other when getting closer turned out to actually be a highway patrol cop lasering people. I almost came to a stop on the interstate median when I finally realized my mistake, and what he was up to. Well, it's the intent that counts!
laughing-smiley-016.gif
And they should really be wearing high visibility stuff; from afar he looked like your typical underdressed biker (or overdressed Harley pilot)...

Just finished reading this whole thread yesterday. My experience has been that about 95% of the bikes I pass wave back. Then on my way in to work tonight I passed 3 Harley riders ridding together. We were passing each other on a 2 lane back road at about 40mph I waved with the usual 2 fingers and left arm slightly down. The first guy didn't wave. I raised my arm a little and second guy passed with no wave. For the third guy I raised my hand a waved and got nothing back. Whatever, I enjoy it and will keep doing it. :wave

Just finished reading this whole thread yesterday. My experience has been that about 95% of the bikes I pass wave back. Then on my way in to work tonight I passed 3 Harley riders ridding together. We were passing each other on a 2 lane back road at about 40mph I waved with the usual 2 fingers and left arm slightly down. The first guy didn't wave. I raised my arm a little and second guy passed with no wave. For the third guy I raised my hand a waved and got nothing back. Whatever, I enjoy it and will keep doing it. :wave

It doesn't really matter. I always wave. Sometimes they wave back. I always recall the old school explanation: they can't wave because they are afraid to let loose of the handle bars. :). I don't really believe it but it sounds good. We just rode from the Kansas City area to the Des Moines area today. I waved at 9 different HD riders. Seven waved back and the other two were too busy trying to ride a curve to wave. OK by me.

Hey Paul - enjoy our first 100f+ day of our summer.

Are you and Voni on your way to Great Falls? Hope to see you there!

Mark

I agree motor10

________________________________________________________________________________

Just finished reading most of the posts and agree; with over 50 or more years of riding it has been Harley riders who didn't wave back. I will add that lot's of Harley riders wave also. It used to piss me off years ago but I had a good talk with myself. I remembered what my sweet mother told me when I was a kid. She said, " When you do a good deed for someone, don't expect something in return or your good deed means nothing." A lot of her teaching came from the bible.

I give every other rider including Can Am's the Shaka for a wave unless I know they're an ADV inmate in which case I give them the ADV salute.:nono

New one to me

I just did a near. cannonball run from RI to great falls MT for the rally, shockingly few bikes en route but saw a few GS in NY/PA on the way. Riding through MT this afternoon saw a handful of bikes, lots of folks waved and I usually wave too when out in the country.

So a couple baggers are coming the opposite way at one point spaced out a bit, unclear of what exactly but Harley or Indian types. Waved at the first guy no response, waved at second guy and he gave me the finger! I literally did a double take, like. wtf. No clue who this was, heck my RT loaded with camping gear looks about the same as a full dress. First time I've ever experienced that one

Back