• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Test ride on a Can Am Spyder

Actually have considered a fiberglass flyer...

My first four wheeled vehicle was a '56 Chevy two door post, with a built 302, Vette 4spd, and a narrowed Bonneville rear axle. My second car was a '65 396 Impala. Maybe time to have another Chevy...:dunno

And...you are SUCH a teaser! Thanks! :drink

Now that was a car. :thumb

And...if I could have any car back again...it would be that Artesian Turqoise '65 Impala. A bit of a boat, but on no-speed-limit highways of Nevada back in those days it was a good ride. And the car my lovely lady and I courted in 48 years ago. It was nice going to the Drive-In movies... :)

Boy, am I OLD! LOL

Last edited:
I test drove a Spyder at Americade last summer and got thrown off sideways a mile or two down the road as I found the steering uncontrollable. Fortunately, I got thrown off just before we got to the Interstate, while we were still going at a relatively slow speed. I landed on my back on a grassy lawn beside the road and the Spyder continued on its own before stopping, upright, narrowly missing a brick wall on a grassy front lawn. Solely by the Grace of God, I wasn't killed, nor were any other innocent road users or pedestrians injured or killed. Neither was there any property damage of any sort. I wasn't hurt when I landed on my back as I was wearing a full BMW Rallye 3 riding suit, and the back padding did its job beautifully. When I got home, I did some Googling, and discovered that a number of people have been killed apparently due to steering loss of control. I will never ride one again, and obviously I can't recommend it. I have been riding motorcycles since 1999 and I am 63 years old.

As an aside, I understand the rear wheel wears out quite fast.

I test drove a Spyder at Americade last summer and got thrown off sideways a mile or two down the road as I found the steering uncontrollable. Fortunately, I got thrown off just before we got to the Interstate, while we were still going at a relatively slow speed. I landed on my back on a grassy lawn beside the road and the Spyder continued on its own before stopping, upright, narrowly missing a brick wall on a grassy front lawn. Solely by the Grace of God, I wasn't killed, nor were any other innocent road users or pedestrians injured or killed. Neither was there any property damage of any sort. I wasn't hurt when I landed on my back as I was wearing a full BMW Rallye 3 riding suit, and the back padding did its job beautifully. When I got home, I did some Googling, and discovered that a number of people have been killed apparently due to steering loss of control. I will never ride one again, and obviously I can't recommend it. I have been riding motorcycles since 1999 and I am 63 years old.

I think the steering is more a problem with unfamiliarity and not knowing how to properly ride it rather than a mechanical or engineering issue. I bought a 4X4 ATV a few years ago to repair fences and round up my goats when they got out (you can keep a goat anywhere it wants to be). With the very steep grades, I was sure I was going to turn it over very time I got on it when I started riding it. You should have seen me chasing my goats through terrain that would challenge a billygoat today at speeds I would never have dreamed I would ride a couple of years ago. I'm sure a Spyder is the same way.

My SIL, who is a very experienced motorcycle and ATV rider of many years, thought the Spyder's handling/steering was very bad when he test rode one. He didn't ride it very far before coming back to the dealer and I don't think you could pay him to ride one now.

I agree...

I agree with your agreeing and add that I think you've good taste.

quabbinmiata14.jpg

I found this was a whole lot more comfortable and fun to romp around in than the Spyder, which doesn't have a top for when it rains, heat for when it gets cold or air when it gets hot. That the wife greatly prefers it to anything with a pillion speaks volumes. That it is a good value, economical and reliable is just icing.

Now that was a car. :thumb

Al,

With the update they've discovered that my membership expired at the end of October. Found a bit of a back door to the forum, but suspect this door will be closing soon! Committed to not renewing, but still participating on the Pelican Parts page and "might" be holding on to the fast and furious Pencil Lead Gray/School Bus Yellow Super S for one more riding season. The house project should be finished by April, so next summer there should be more play time. :groovy

Have long desired to do a bit of riding on Vancouver Island, may see if I can manage a couple of days up there next summer if I'm still riding one more year. If you might be interested in being my "tour guide" and connecting up for a bit of pub crawling, please PM via Pelican.

Still playing the Lotto, in hopes I could purchase a Stingray...for my lady!

And to others reading this post...sorry if I went a bit OT here. But using this perhaps last opportunity via this forum to send a message to a guy I've enjoyed chatting with on more than a few occasions, and shared a couple of brewskis with at Salem. I've enjoyed this forum, and my membership with this fine group...but it's time to move along to a new phase.

Cheers to all...keep the shiny side up...and ride safe! :dance:dance:dance

PS. A Titan Gray/Mandarin R11S is still WAY faster than a Pacific Blue S. Though I must admit a Pacific Blue bike is sort of...nice. :)

Have long desired to do a bit of riding on Vancouver Island, may see if I can manage a couple of days up there next summer if I'm still riding one more year. If you might be interested in being my "tour guide" and connecting up for a bit of pub crawling, please PM via Pelican.

PS. A Titan Gray/Mandarin R11S is still WAY faster than a Pacific Blue S.

The route is already planned and I await your command.

In regards to your PS, no, it isn't. :laugh :thumb

I've enjoyed this forum, and my membership with this fine group...but it's time to move along to a new phase.

Too bad you're not renewing Bill, and good luck with your health.

I'm on Pelican, in the off topic section, so I'll look for your posts.

Back