Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Test ride on a Can Am Spyder

Test ride on a Can Am Spyder

Test rode a buddy's brand new 2013 Spyder last night. First off, the bike is beautiful, and is appointed nicely. But, and there always is a but, the ride was really weird. It was glass smooth suspension wise, and plenty peppy, but the motions needed to turn it, well I felt like I was on a big utility ATV! You have to physically turn the handlebars, then the sensation of being tossed off the side takes over! I think this thing would wear me out on a curvy mountain road!

But, as a highway cruiser, I could see it being a real mile muncher. Great ergonomics, great wind protection, and lots of storage.

All in all, a pretty neat 'bike'.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    They seem pretty neat and there is a lot of technology built it. I was behind one on a ride and the Spyder rider (2-up) was surprised by a hairpin turn. I saw the rear wheel lift and the bike knew it and dropped the tire back to asphalt.
    Seems like a lot of possibilities.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I rode one a few years ago and thought the suspension was broke at first. In a good curve it was a handful compared to my bike. On highly crowned roads it wasn't an enjoyable ride.
    MOA #46783

The Spyder takes some getting used to. Since it does not lean, turns and curves are way different than a 2 wheeler. More like a snowmobile or ATV. You learn how to lean your body to stay on board. Properly set up, the cornering is quite good. The only thing lacking is quality control. Some people get lucky and have no problems, others have no end of problems. They made some major improvements in the 2014 RT, including a bigger 3 cylinder engine, 6 speed transmission and larger fuel tank. So far it seems to be more dependable than its predecessors. My 2010 was unreliable, leaving us stranded or having problems on 3 out of 4 long trips. Had no use for it after that.
    Dan

A FOAF (friend of a friend, the stuff of urban legends) test rode one. He didn't quite make it out of the dealer parking lot. He tried to counter steer to go one direction to hit the driveway and wound up in a small ditch when the bike went the other direction. I can easily see that happening on a first ride.

I think their advertising is presumptuous in intimating that motorcyclists will wave back.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I think I like them better than trikes, but I'll take a sidecar anydayoftheweek.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    I think their advertising is presumptuous in intimating that motorcyclists will wave back.
    You don't wave????? Why not? I certainly do. Heck, I even wave at scooters.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    I think I like them better than trikes....
    I like them WAY better than trikes. If you ever want to ride something that doesn't want to go around corners, ride a trike. If I ever get to the point where I physically cannot ride a motorcycle, I'll get a Spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    +1.
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    I like them WAY better than trikes. If you ever want to ride something that doesn't want to go around corners, ride a trike. If I ever get to the point where I physically cannot ride a motorcycle, I'll get a Spyder.
    When I get to the point two wheels aren't possible, I'll just pass up the 3 wheel alternatives and get a BMW Z4.

Heresy, I know, but there it is. Rode a buddies Spyder in Nevada a couple of years, zero interest after that experience....not my cup o' tea (nor a wee dram of a great single malt for that matter, since I don't drink...tea).
    Bill Johnston

I rode one. It was a lot of fun, and it passed the motorcycle made me smile test with flying colors.

It is different, very different. And pretty fast for the size. And fun in a different way. When I can't ride 2 wheels anymore, one of these is on the list.

Rod

Got no idea what I'll do when I can't do 2 wheels- because I don't know what will cause it and when it might happen.
    Given that trikes, spyders and rigs are all more work to ride than a bike, the answer might be none of the above.

I do know that as long as the SO and I can do a bike each (we own 7 between us), the others aren't making the list. Maybe if one can no longer ride, we might consider the others. But considering that our riding preference is twisties at a decent pace, not sure.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Thanks. I'll wave back.

I talked with the Spyder dealer who was doing demo rides at a motorcycle event a couple of years ago. He said the best candidates for the Spyder were folks that had not ridden bikes a lot previously. He said the absence of leaning was not as much of a problem with them. He said his most common complaint from customers was the fuel mileage. 25-30 MPH was what owners frequently reported.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I can only imagine... horrible aerodynamics... bikes are bad enough as it is for their load capacity.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    2012 R1200RT
    2012 Super Tenere
    2001 R1100RT (sold)