• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ON magazine with starter cleaning article?

smnort

Matt Norton
Anyone remember what month the article for the starter cleaning / maintenance on a 1150 was?

I put that months magazine somewhere so I can reference the article when I got to the project - now I have no clue where it is

Hopping someone can recall what month the article is so I can get a copy from a member in my club

Anyone recall?

Thanks

Anyone remember what month the article for the starter cleaning / maintenance on a 1150 was?

I put that months magazine somewhere so I can reference the article when I got to the project - now I have no clue where it is

Hopping someone can recall what month the article is so I can get a copy from a member in my club

Anyone recall?

Thanks

It was the first part of the column in the February, 2014 ON

Here is what it said:

"OILHEAD STARTERS: These starters often emit a screech just as the starter button is released. Almost always the noise is coming from the one-way clutch built into the nose drive of the starter. Once the starter is removed the round silver disk visible just behind the nose gear is the one-way clutch. There is a visible seam on the forward face of the clutch. To eliminate the screech I clean the starter drive and clutch. I use electric motor cleaner available at any good auto parts store for this purpose. I first clean the entire visible portion of the starter drive with cleaner and compressed air. I then support the starter nose up and spray cleaner right into the seam on the starter clutch. A few squirts followed by compressed air cleans the clutch and the screech will go away for ten or twenty thousand miles. Then it is time to repeat the process. While I have the starter removed and in the vertical position I always also place a few drops of light machine oil where the shaft is located in the nose bushing. I allow a few minutes for the oil to seep down into the shaft bushing interface and then reinstall the starter."

It's a real shame and failure that every article Paul Glaves and Matthew Parkhouse ever wrote is not available at the click of a mouse to BMWMOA members.

I recently discovered that the whole ON magazine can be downloaded as a pdf file. There are a number of past issues available. The method to find the issue desired and download it is definitely not straightforward. In another thread I created some detailed instructions on how to find and download the ON as a pdf. That thread link is below - look for post #12 in that thread -

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?72751-Changing-R1100RS-brake-lines

I recently discovered that the whole ON magazine can be downloaded as a pdf file. There are a number of past issues available. The method to find the issue desired and download it is definitely not straightforward. In another thread I created some detailed instructions on how to find and download the ON as a pdf. That thread link is below - look for post #12 in that thread -

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?72751-Changing-R1100RS-brake-lines

This process for downloading archived articles does not work on an iPad. Thanks for describing the arcane ritual that must be performed on a PC to download entire older issues so one can view about 3-5 pages from an issue. I'm going to try to download and edit them down (delete pages in Acrobat) to the oilhead technical articles if possible, if that doesn't work I'll just print those pages for future reference.

Oilhead Starter Replacement

I had the same problem. Two years ago I found a new replacement starter for my 1999 R1100RT from Discount Starter & Alternator for $72 delivered to my house (http://www.discountstarterandalternator.com). It matched up perfectly and still works great after almost 2 years. I still have my original, so I will do the clean and lube fix and keep it for possible future use.

Back