• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'92 K 75s Almost Constant Misfiring, Bucking, and Popping.

72r60/7

I'm on the road on a week long ride. Misfiring started, second day out, intermittently at highway speeds, 5500 RPM but continued throughout all throttle settings. Turned towards home twice, but cleared up and now today it has almost been constant. Many times today I thought this is it and I'm going to be dead in the water right here all by my lonesome. Accelerating from constant throttle settings relieves misfiring. Wonder why that is?
It is really ruining a nice ride. It will really ruin it if it leaves me stranded. I think that is fuel starvation but don't know. It could be electrical.
So far I have replaced the fuel filter with a suitable substitute and changed back to the stock filter. Used one treatment of Sea Foam that probably didn't work for this problem as the malady cleared up before it even had a chance to mix with the fuel. Today on day 5, I pulled the fuel pump to look for water and/or trash in the tank. Checked the fuel line in the tank for splits and cleaned the pump electrical connection on outside of tank. Wiggled a few wires for good measure. I'm at a loss for what I am able to do on the road and limping around. Don't want to do anything major in the parking lots as I am pretty good at loosing screws or parts at the wrong time or place, which can mean stupid stranded. Still a day and a half from home. Any ideas will be graciously accepted or better phrased "Help".
Charlie

Go to the nearest auto parts store and get a bottle of IsoHeet or Heet. Add 1/2 bottle to your tank of gas. I think you have a dollop or two of water hanging out in the bottom of the tank. When you then next fill up add the other half bottle.

When working at a Honda dealer, I had that problem on many bikes. Problem was the plugs. Try replacing the spark plugs - cheap too!

'92 K75 misfiring

Missing etc. worst yet, first thing this morning. Limped to auto parts place and used Heet and let sit while packing. Then not a stumble all day!
A $3 fix that you pour out of a bottle. How nice is that!
Thanks a million, Paul

Bought 3 plugs while I was at the auto parts store this morning as I was convinced it was the plugs or wires, though both had been replaced fairly recently. So thanks to jimmylee also for suggestion.
Charlie

Missing etc. worst yet, first thing this morning. Limped to auto parts place and used Heet and let sit while packing. Then not a stumble all day!
A $3 fix that you pour out of a bottle. How nice is that!
Thanks a million, Paul

When we travel I carry a bottle. It has solved a problem on one of our bikes on a couple of occasions, and has rescued others with problems on at least a half dozen other occasions. A bit of water is possible every single time you fill with gas. It certainly isn't a problem all the time,but it is often enough to want to be prepared for it.

Valuable tips like this are what make this forum so great. I have never experienced this problem before, but I will file this away in my feeble brain for future reference.

Back