Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Mayer MIA...has MY seat and MY money

What surprises me is, people don't seem to do any research on who they want to do business with. The internet is a tremendous resource to draw from - especially in case/services/products like this that are custom made for the consumer.

No one I know of argues that Rick Mayer can't make a damn good saddle. However, he's a terrible businessman and has a verified history of piss-poor service and significant delays in providing the product.

This is now the start of the riding season for a lot of folks. Anyone that has sent their pan off to him is very likely sitting and waiting for something to ride on - and will continue to do so.

Sad.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    What surprises me is, people don't seem to do any research on who they want to do business with. The internet is a tremendous resource to draw from - especially in case/services/products like this that are custom made for the consumer.

No one I know of argues that Rick Mayer can't make a damn good saddle. However, he's a terrible businessman and has a verified history of piss-poor service and significant delays in providing the product.

This is now the start of the riding season for a lot of folks. Anyone that has sent their pan off to him is very likely sitting and waiting for something to ride on - and will continue to do so.

Sad.
    Didn't a guy that worked for him go off and start his own company? I think Seth Laam?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Yeah, something like that some time back but I haven't heard anything about him since I heard he split with Rick.,
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Yeah, something like that some time back but I haven't heard anything about him since I heard he split with Rick.,
    I know of a few people that had their seats done by him and are very satisfied. He has a website, laam seats.
    My Motorrad

Wonder if some folks in our group could help him out?

I know there are a lot of talented folks here in BMWMOA, many retired, too. Folks with lots of experience....maybe not experience in building custom motorcycle seats, but folks that could volunteer to help out a few days in the shop. Maybe just clean up and take out the trash, or organize tools and inventory, or set up a spreadsheet for orders and track progress; or maybe contact customers and give them some info; or maybe just take him to lunch and let him know that folks care and give him encouragement.
    Piperjim
    '95 R1100RS "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian!" Henry Ford

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by piperjim View Post

I know there are a lot of talented folks here in BMWMOA, many retired, too. Folks with lots of experience....maybe not experience in building custom motorcycle seats, but folks that could volunteer to help out a few days in the shop. Maybe just clean up and take out the trash, or organize tools and inventory, or set up a spreadsheet for orders and track progress; or maybe contact customers and give them some info; or maybe just take him to lunch and let him know that folks care and give him encouragement.
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

This reminds me of the parable about the little girl and the snake.

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
    This reminds me of the parable about the little girl and the snake.
    +10, Double Gunny! jes' sayin' and nuff said!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

If it's a one time thing, may be, but it sounds like he's had issues many times. May be his actions are self-fulfilling behavior and may be the help he needs isn't in the shop. For uninitiated, it's a never ending project.
    My Motorrad

Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Sad.
    In my case I had done my research of seat builders (Bill Mayer, Russell, Corbin) all evidence pointed to Rick as the best choice including a lengthy phone conversation with him. Fortunately I had a spare saddle I could use during the 2 months longer than promised build time. He got rather irate with me when I made a demanding phone call to his shop 2 weeks after promised delivery. What arrived two weeks after that was disappointing to say the least.

"Over promise and under deliver" should be his motto.

Why should it be up to ANYBODY but his employees to help him out? Why should I (or any other rider) volunteer to help somebody with a long track record of poor customer service fix his business? If he wanted a spreadsheet to track order progress, he'd have one (and he might, for all we know). If it was important to him to contact customers, he'd do it.

The best way people can help out is by voting with their wallets. Keep sending him business or stop doing it. That's how you help somebody fix their business.
    --
    Your MOA Digital Media Editor since 2015 | Lifetime Member #87301
    '05 R1200GS | '98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar | '19 Indian FTR1200S
    Check out Chasing the Horizon, a podcast by, for & about motorcyclers

Quote Originally Posted by chiba13 View Post
    Why should it be up to ANYBODY but his employees to help him out? Why should I (or any other rider) volunteer to help somebody with a long track record of poor customer service fix his business? If he wanted a spreadsheet to track order progress, he'd have one (and he might, for all we know). If it was important to him to contact customers, he'd do it.

The best way people can help out is by voting with their wallets. Keep sending him business or stop doing it. That's how you help somebody fix their business.
    Have to agree. He apparently has time to communicate with his advertisers and material suppliers...why not his customers?
    F850GS

MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Have to agree. He apparently has time to communicate with his advertisers and material suppliers...why not his customers?
    The one that has to help him out - is himself. He's the one that has to recognize his shortcomings, poor business practices and berating customers when he's long since failed to meet the delivery dates he set.

Again, I've seen and had a chance to ride his saddles - he does damn good work. The problem is his attitude toward customers he has failed to complete work for.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

fastrph97, another week almost gone, any headway?
    F850GS

MOA #46783