Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Mayer MIA...has MY seat and MY money

Plus 2
    1991 R100/RT - 1984 R100/RS
    2006 KZ-14/ Hannigan HP
    1980 R100/EML-1964 R69S
    2013 F800GT

Took me 7 months and a lot of hassle, and agitation, at a time in my life when I did not need the extra stress, to get my $500.00 seat pan deposit returned. I like the seat. I received the front seat on my GS fast. The rear took a month but no problem. It was the return of my deposit?

My ordeal occurred 2 years ago. Even though I like the seat, I will not return because of the horrible business practices.

Rally Rat
    along the wisconsin river here in central wisconsin
    Get him out of the moa news now or tell all of us why not!!
    If I lived near this guy I'd pay him a visit for sure!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I don't know for sure, most advertising is sold on a "best deal" "yearly" basis. Why he is fouled up I don't know. I don't think it's intentional as who would want all the clients mad at him.
    Anyone that has been in business knows that answering the phone all day trying to explain what is going on take time away from satisfying customers already booked.
    Feast or famine is tough in the custom shop business.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    No saying I wouldn't enjoy a custom seat, I just backed out because I'm a tight wad.

That, and my days of really long rides are pretty much over.
    A sargent isn't cheaper than a comparable custom seat.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by EvryDayRide View Post
    Took me 7 months and a lot of hassle, and agitation, at a time in my life when I did not need the extra stress, to get my $500.00 seat pan deposit returned. I like the seat. I received the front seat on my GS fast. The rear took a month but no problem. It was the return of my deposit?

My ordeal occurred 2 years ago. Even though I like the seat, I will not return because of the horrible business practices.
    I had the same problem, that is, getting the deposit back.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I don't know for sure, most advertising is sold on a "best deal" "yearly" basis. Why he is fouled up I don't know. I don't think it's intentional as who would want all the clients mad at him.
    Anyone that has been in business knows that answering the phone all day trying to explain what is going on take time away from satisfying customers already booked.
    Feast or famine is tough in the custom shop business.
    OM
    Certainly agree on the phones, but a semi-mass email to outstanding delayed deliveries would take only a few minutes. If in his position, I would set aside 10 minutes each Friday morning, to send out one email to all my pending customers telling them what promised production dates had been completed and shipped. I would start an hour early on Monday mornings and make sure my money deposit returns were up to date. If there isn't time during the week for these 70 minutes of tasks, I'd do it on Sunday. Seems like a couple of very petty tasks in order to save ones business reputation and perhaps business.
    Last edited by Motodan; 05-02-2014 at 01:24 PM.
    F850GS

MOA #46783

Agreed with MotoDan, but the receptionist isn't even answering the phone anymore. When I did the seat for my K16, Sargent was just off the shelf for about the same price, and after the last thread about Rick Mayer, He wasn't even considered, and won't ever be in the future. RDL is what I went with. I understand life happens, but this is a part of his life that effects a lot of others. His rep is pretty beat up and will be hard to rectify, but do the right thing for these people that have trusted and payed him, and he might save a little of whats left of his reputation.
    Tim C
    2016 K1600GTL
    Matte Ocean Blue

FWIW, all of my dealings with Rick have been excellent. I am a very happy customer and will use him for my GS-W seat if it seems to need it after this season. I know he has had some personal issues recently (not up to me to disclose) and it sounds like some balls have been dropped. I only speak for myself, but I think he's a good guy and that it will all work out eventually.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

Quote Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
    FWIW, all of my dealings with Rick have been excellent. I am a very happy customer and will use him for my GS-W seat if it seems to need it after this season. I know he has had some personal issues recently (not up to me to disclose) and it sounds like some balls have been dropped. I only speak for myself, but I think he's a good guy and that it will all work out eventually.

It is good to hear from a satisfied customer, I'm sure there are many. However, after reading numerous post in multiple sites, going back 11 years, with like complains, makes it hard to understand. We all have problems in life, just like this vendor did, but there a responsibility that goes with people's trust. Just take 30 minutes to notify your concerned customers with status updates...that' not too much to ask.
    Last edited by Motodan; 05-02-2014 at 04:54 PM.
    F850GS

MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Provide the booked customers with a realistic expectation of when their work will be completed and then meet that commitment. The calls will be reduced to manageable levels because then you will have satisfied customers who do not need to keep calling.

If an unexpected delay occurs, be proactive and let the customer know ASAP. People are more understanding and accepting if they are kept informed. Explanatory calls/emails upfront are much quicker than trying to explain and calm an angry customer after the fact. And the call can take place on your schedule rather than the customer's.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

For the people that do a "Ride in Appointment" , pay for and leave with a product (seat), are pretty happy about their experience. The mail orders are where the trouble begins for a lot of folks.

Left Coast Rider
    After reading this thread (the second on this subject in the last few months) I can only think of two words: Caveat Emptor

Here is a suggestion that some might find helpful. Usually there are local auto upholstery shops that can build seats better then some you see in BMW ON. The best seats I have seen were done locally. Take a picture of what you like and visit your local upholstery shops. Might be cheaper, faster, and better.

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Provide the booked customers with a realistic expectation of when their work will be completed and then meet that commitment. The calls will be reduced to manageable levels because then you will have satisfied customers who do not need to keep calling.

If an unexpected delay occurs, be proactive and let the customer know ASAP. People are more understanding and accepting if they are kept informed. Explanatory calls/emails upfront are much quicker than trying to explain and calm an angry customer after the fact. And the call can take place on your schedule rather than the customer's.
    +1, Gunny; just good common business practices a successful operation understands, it appears Rick Mayer does not grasp or value this concept! JSNS!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89