• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rick Mayer MIA...has MY seat and MY money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took me 7 months and a lot of hassle, and agitation, at a time in my life when I did not need the extra stress, to get my $500.00 seat pan deposit returned. I like the seat. I received the front seat on my GS fast. The rear took a month but no problem. It was the return of my deposit?

My ordeal occurred 2 years ago. Even though I like the seat, I will not return because of the horrible business practices.

I had the same problem, that is, getting the deposit back.

Jeff

I don't know for sure, most advertising is sold on a "best deal" "yearly" basis. Why he is fouled up I don't know. I don't think it's intentional as who would want all the clients mad at him.
Anyone that has been in business knows that answering the phone all day trying to explain what is going on take time away from satisfying customers already booked.
Feast or famine is tough in the custom shop business.
OM

Certainly agree on the phones, but a semi-mass email to outstanding delayed deliveries would take only a few minutes. If in his position, I would set aside 10 minutes each Friday morning, to send out one email to all my pending customers telling them what promised production dates had been completed and shipped. I would start an hour early on Monday mornings and make sure my money deposit returns were up to date. If there isn't time during the week for these 70 minutes of tasks, I'd do it on Sunday. Seems like a couple of very petty tasks in order to save ones business reputation and perhaps business.

Last edited:
Agreed with MotoDan, but the receptionist isn't even answering the phone anymore. When I did the seat for my K16, Sargent was just off the shelf for about the same price, and after the last thread about Rick Mayer, He wasn't even considered, and won't ever be in the future. RDL is what I went with. I understand life happens, but this is a part of his life that effects a lot of others. His rep is pretty beat up and will be hard to rectify, but do the right thing for these people that have trusted and payed him, and he might save a little of whats left of his reputation.

FWIW, all of my dealings with Rick have been excellent. I am a very happy customer and will use him for my GS-W seat if it seems to need it after this season. I know he has had some personal issues recently (not up to me to disclose) and it sounds like some balls have been dropped. I only speak for myself, but I think he's a good guy and that it will all work out eventually.

FWIW, all of my dealings with Rick have been excellent. I am a very happy customer and will use him for my GS-W seat if it seems to need it after this season. I know he has had some personal issues recently (not up to me to disclose) and it sounds like some balls have been dropped. I only speak for myself, but I think he's a good guy and that it will all work out eventually.

It is good to hear from a satisfied customer, I'm sure there are many. However, after reading numerous post in multiple sites, going back 11 years, with like complains, makes it hard to understand. We all have problems in life, just like this vendor did, but there a responsibility that goes with people's trust. Just take 30 minutes to notify your concerned customers with status updates...that' not too much to ask.

Last edited:
Anyone that has been in business knows that answering the phone all day trying to explain what is going on take time away from satisfying customers already booked.

Provide the booked customers with a realistic expectation of when their work will be completed and then meet that commitment. The calls will be reduced to manageable levels because then you will have satisfied customers who do not need to keep calling.

If an unexpected delay occurs, be proactive and let the customer know ASAP. People are more understanding and accepting if they are kept informed. Explanatory calls/emails upfront are much quicker than trying to explain and calm an angry customer after the fact. And the call can take place on your schedule rather than the customer's.

For the people that do a "Ride in Appointment" , pay for and leave with a product (seat), are pretty happy about their experience. The mail orders are where the trouble begins for a lot of folks.

After reading this thread (the second on this subject in the last few months) I can only think of two words: Caveat Emptor

Here is a suggestion that some might find helpful. Usually there are local auto upholstery shops that can build seats better then some you see in BMW ON. The best seats I have seen were done locally. Take a picture of what you like and visit your local upholstery shops. Might be cheaper, faster, and better.

Provide the booked customers with a realistic expectation of when their work will be completed and then meet that commitment. The calls will be reduced to manageable levels because then you will have satisfied customers who do not need to keep calling.

If an unexpected delay occurs, be proactive and let the customer know ASAP. People are more understanding and accepting if they are kept informed. Explanatory calls/emails upfront are much quicker than trying to explain and calm an angry customer after the fact. And the call can take place on your schedule rather than the customer's.

+1, Gunny; just good common business practices a successful operation understands, it appears Rick Mayer does not grasp or value this concept! JSNS!

What surprises me is, people don't seem to do any research on who they want to do business with. The internet is a tremendous resource to draw from - especially in case/services/products like this that are custom made for the consumer.

No one I know of argues that Rick Mayer can't make a damn good saddle. However, he's a terrible businessman and has a verified history of piss-poor service and significant delays in providing the product.

This is now the start of the riding season for a lot of folks. Anyone that has sent their pan off to him is very likely sitting and waiting for something to ride on - and will continue to do so.

Sad.

What surprises me is, people don't seem to do any research on who they want to do business with. The internet is a tremendous resource to draw from - especially in case/services/products like this that are custom made for the consumer.

No one I know of argues that Rick Mayer can't make a damn good saddle. However, he's a terrible businessman and has a verified history of piss-poor service and significant delays in providing the product.

This is now the start of the riding season for a lot of folks. Anyone that has sent their pan off to him is very likely sitting and waiting for something to ride on - and will continue to do so.

Sad.

Didn't a guy that worked for him go off and start his own company? I think Seth Laam?

Yeah, something like that some time back but I haven't heard anything about him since I heard he split with Rick.,

Wonder if some folks in our group could help him out?

I know there are a lot of talented folks here in BMWMOA, many retired, too. Folks with lots of experience....maybe not experience in building custom motorcycle seats, but folks that could volunteer to help out a few days in the shop. Maybe just clean up and take out the trash, or organize tools and inventory, or set up a spreadsheet for orders and track progress; or maybe contact customers and give them some info; or maybe just take him to lunch and let him know that folks care and give him encouragement.

I know there are a lot of talented folks here in BMWMOA, many retired, too. Folks with lots of experience....maybe not experience in building custom motorcycle seats, but folks that could volunteer to help out a few days in the shop. Maybe just clean up and take out the trash, or organize tools and inventory, or set up a spreadsheet for orders and track progress; or maybe contact customers and give them some info; or maybe just take him to lunch and let him know that folks care and give him encouragement.
:clap :clap :thumb

If it's a one time thing, may be, but it sounds like he's had issues many times. May be his actions are self-fulfilling behavior and may be the help he needs isn't in the shop. For uninitiated, it's a never ending project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back