• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Salty Fog Riders Rally 2014: #7

tourunigo

Seven. A long way from those original planning days 'way back when'. Back when we had a shell of a house being reconstructed and we began, albeit in a significantly humble sort of way, to put into action an idea; an idea to introduce riders to our part of the world. As mentioned before, the late Mr Paul Bachorz and I massaged this idea back in 2006 and this is what it started as...

0823SaltyFog084.jpg~original

...and by 2010 we evolved the Base Camp to this .....

ee496bbd-6abc-40e0-981b-3b181fd7b566_zpse0f2673a.jpg~original

... and then we built a barn with sleeping space in the upper floor Art Studio

41b470c1-7d40-49d4-a39c-074394145449_zps1ae6ef78.jpg~original

Apparently the number seven has an enormous influence in the history of religion, evolution, numerology (and numbers generally), etc. So 2014 is our number seven and we look forward to this number's significance.

So, that being said, we are again offering the Salty Fog Riders Rally experience for another year. Officially the dates are September 1 to the 5th but we have had almost unanimous participation in our Early Arrival Day option. That would make the rally August 31 to September 5, 2014.

Review the Salty Fog Riders Trip Reports to get a good idea about our two days in Larry's River and then a four day, 500 mile ride on beautiful Cape Breton Island.

If interested and/or have any questions, please contact us at saltyfogriders@gmail.com. We do have limited (20) so please let us know as soon as you can. Information regarding funds and itinerary will be posted soon.

Stay tuned for more info! :lurk
- Bob and Mary

As mentioned earlier, the Salty Fog Riders Rally, a unique 'rolling rally' - visiting and touring northeast Nova Scotia, is happening again during the last days of Summer. Costs are currently being finalized and revised registration forms will be available by the end of June.

Stay tuned for more information regarding route, venues, food (!!) and accommodation options. Until then the following two links will give you a reasonable view of what to expect.

2013 Promotional Thread for the SFRR: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?68219-Salty-fog-riders-rally-2013

2013 Ride Report: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?71390-Salty-Fog-Riders-Rally-2013-The-Report&

If you are interested, have questions or have any concerns please contact us at saltyfogriders@gmail.com

- Bob

Last year one of our participants said that next time (aka 2014) he wanted to visit the giant (about 50ft) fiddle in Sydney. So, that's what we'll put on the agenda this year. Opportunity for group and individual photo-ops.

giantfiddle_zps5de3f508.jpg~original

Over the next couple of days we will... finally... be in a position to be posting more information about the 2014 Salty Fog Riders Rally. If you have followed the links posted earlier then you have a good idea about the content of our little rolling rally. Camping is free at our Larry's River Base Camp with bed roll options in Mary's art studio on the second level of our barn. The following four days on the road include three excellent campsite locations. As well, we have been in discussions with two campgrounds regarding cabin rentals with tenting on those sites. Those options will be presented to intended participants by email. For now, the following costs are in place for this year.

SALTYFOGCOSTINGFORFORUM_zpsde9fa703.jpg~original

NEXT: The abundant food menu for those joining us in Larry's River will be posted next. Our previous ride reports have elaborated on the food but we will slide in a few reminder pictures with the menu outline. Stay tuned!

While camping in Louisbourg, we venture up to the Louisbourg Playhouse for a musical theater venue. It changes each year and gives the visitor an opportunity to listen to the music and story-telling that is a special magic of Cape Breton Island. This year the show deals with the challenges of coal mining work and the struggles to survive in a 'company town'. A description of this show, on Tuesday September 2nd, is at this site http://www.whatsgoinon.ca/13613/#.U-p_QKhdXKM Come and enjoy!! Still room available. - Bob

....and following the theater presentation, a connecting experience can be a tour of the mine in Glace Bay. We did this a few years back and consider it a memorable learning experience. This is the link to the museum and tour:

http://www.minersmuseum.com/
- Bob

I'm hoping for a good fiddler and step dancers at the playhouse -- Rachel Davis, Jennifer Roland, ands many more. High time of my life!

You know....

... a good "nip-uh" single malt scotch, just before the harbor walk & short jaunt up the street to the Playhouse....
ensure's fine fiddling, superb step dancing & ....wait; did somebody else in the balcony smell "high times"???

Thinking about a Portland - Yarmouth ferry ride about Aug28th...

"travel'n" john

... a good "nip-uh" single malt scotch, just before the harbor walk & short jaunt up the street to the Playhouse....
ensure's fine fiddling, superb step dancing & ....wait; did somebody else in the balcony smell "high times"???

Thinking about a Portland - Yarmouth ferry ride about Aug28th...

"travel'n" john

Hope you can make it, John, and Mara too! Good memories, even if you were on a Harley the first time! :D

...In your care; she will be dispatching me solo this year! I will owe her... again.
How do you feel about that $50 ferry one way?
I'm looking to finally see Peggy's Cove & Halifax... and to avoid US Labor Day weekend traffic.

"travel'n"

...Check That: the scooter is a $50 AND the operator is ANOTHER Ulysses!

That does make you feel "special"....

The owner of the Meat Cove Campground has promised us the cliff-side flat camping spot in front of the Chowder Hut (the best location in the place). It has most often been our reserved spot ...... except for last year. However, we are now back on sacred ground and ready for campfires and great photo op's. Still some last minute space and some time to join in.....

Meat Cove Sunset:

P1010505.jpg~original

...In your care; she will be dispatching me solo this year! I will owe her... again.
How do you feel about that $50 ferry one way?
I'm looking to finally see Peggy's Cove & Halifax... and to avoid US Labor Day weekend traffic.

"travel'n"

Late getting back at ya John! Our Halifax house sold, moving stuff at a frantic pace, closing date two days before rally but we're still standin' and grinin'. Looking forward to seeing you again and hoistin' some chicken! We would LOVE to have Dara join us. Ferry: well, likely a very pleasant float but you still have a five hour ride ahead of you from Yarmouth. Nice coastal ride though ...... add a day for that road. Ride safe and let's catch some mackerel and bbq a few in LR! - Bob

We had such a great time last year riding along with the group. We cannot attend this year. Mary and I are currently in Austria for an Edelweiss Alps Tour to Austria, Germany,Switzerland, and Italy.

We will look forward to future Salty Fog Rallies. As everyone who has taken part in this knows, Bob and Mary are outstanding hosts, tour guides, detail sorter-outers.

Cheers,
Tom and Mary

Leaving Saturday AM, caging it, unfortunately. It's still way better than not being there! :D

We had such a great time last year riding along with the group. We cannot attend this year. Mary and I are currently in Austria for an Edelweiss Alps Tour to Austria, Germany,Switzerland, and Italy.

We will look forward to future Salty Fog Rallies. As everyone who has taken part in this knows, Bob and Mary are outstanding hosts, tour guides, detail sorter-outers.

Cheers,
Tom and Mary

Thanks for the kind comments! Enjoy your rides and travels. Tomorrow is day one (aka Early Arrival) of our little rally and tour. We look forward to meeting up with you two again. Ride safe! - Bob

Back