• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Today may be my last day of BMW ownership!

The most uninspiring power delivery of any bike with more than 60 hp I have owned. The horsepower rating is supposedly 110 @ the crank IIRC.

Really? My 2013 RT is extremely quick. I am amazed every time I give it just a little gas when I am running 75 down the highway...I am at 90 in a flash. Maybe it's because I came off riding a Harley?

Everybody says the new 2014 is much quicker....I don't need any quicker!

Maybe you're just used to your ST4s? :D

That's possible. After a day ride on the Ducati, the RT does seem quite a bit slower by comparison. Grabbing a handful of throttle on the ST4S will change your perspective of the world around you in a hurry.:D

As far as a '14 RT goes, grab open the throttle, even in road mode, and hang on...you get wheelies. Hit the dynamic modes and you get multiple wheelies. More power and excellent delivery than the average Joe needs.

Preferences are personnel

Again I am amazed why some people attach someone because they don't like what they have. Be it the motorcycle, jacket, helmet or just about anything. It seems they take it personnel that someone does not think what attacker has is the best and only item worth while.
I really like my old 84 R100Rt but I have a newer motorcycle too (a Honda NT700V), and both I find give me satisfaction. I guess being an old short man I like to have my feet flat on the ground at stops, and many motorcycles are too tall (I like close to 30" height). I won't tell you that what I have is the best for another rider, or suggest what another rides is a POS and not worthy.
Calling a motorcycle a refrig, or not have personality it an opinion so keep it to yourself. Nothing wrong with talking bikes, and what you like or dislike: but that is what you like. Swapping information at a stop is one of the good things about group gathering, the farkles, tires, etc. make good topics for sharing.

That's why I just haven't connected with my K1200GT. It's a great bike, but lacks soul.

Ed:

You would enjoy some seat time on an ST; and I need to check out a GT on Highway 66 to see if I can find its soul. :D

I thought about signing up, but can't decide. Rinty

I'm signed up to ride the new GS next week. Wonder if Remus has a pipe for it yet? :D

Ed:

You would enjoy some seat time on an ST; and I need to check out a GT on Highway 66 to see if I can find its soul. :D

I'm signed up to ride the new GS next week. Wonder if Remus has a pipe for it yet? :D

I'm riding the RT in the morning. We'll see if I need to talk to my banker afterwards. ;-) (not really, she has no illusion of control over my spending habits).

It's not that the GT isn't a great bike, but ......

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That would the morning demo rides next Saturday at Blackfoot. I'll be sure to share the results.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

As far as a '14 RT goes, grab open the throttle, even in road mode, and hang on....

+1.

I demoed a new GS yesterday, and the power is incredible. Also impressive is how easy it is to blip the throttle to match rpm's on downshifts, the revs come up so fast. The BMW Canada front rider asked me if I'd tried the Dyna mode, and I said: "I'm not going there." :ha And the sound from the stock exhaust system is just rorty enough (for me, anyway) that you don't need to install a Remus.

P1020085-XL.jpg

I think BMW has another pair of winners, with these bikes.

I definitely tried the Dynamic mode on the RT I rode in the morning, you should have given it a go. There was a distinct difference in the engine response and sound. I was pretty impressed with the RT too. I'm in a real dilemma now trying to convince myself for or against ordering one.

Well, I guess I have drank more BMW KoolAid than I had realized. The ST was amazingly smooth...rode great, exceptional torque, ultra quiet, good weather protection, very nimble at slow speeds, ultra slick clutch, but.....there is always a 'but'.....it was not as stable as the RT. Not as comfortable ergonomically and the interstate was kinda spooky the way it was pushed around by the trucks at 70 mph! Just didn't 'feel' right.

Got back on the RT and rode for 100 miles. I guess I like the RT more than I had thought:scratch It felt good under my butt, it handled better than I remembered, and that goofy boxer motor thump wasn't as bad as I was thinking. Now, if I can just get rid of the SURGING!!! :banghead:banghead

The surge is what is making a great motorcycle not so great!

I am as fickle as a woman! Who knows what I want! But, my favorite phrase sums it up, "The best you know is the best you've had" so I will keep trying!

The dealer did invite me back to test ride a Goldwing!!:dance

I had two R1100RT's and I understand the annoyance about the surging.... mine both had it and it drove me nuts in town, especially with the clunky gearbox action... no amount of fiddling with the enrichment box (forget the brand) or plugs could eliminate it unless I went so rich my mpg dropped into the mid-30's. It was one reason I also tried the Honda ST.

My point being, the newer R1200RT has none of that. It is a completely different motorcycle - better in every way.. maybe you could try one.. lots of 2 yr old ones available at good prices now from guys trading into the wet head version. Just a thought. I had a 2010 and now have a 2012 and it is hands down the best sport touring bike I have ever owned.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Back