• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Scenic Route from Western UP to Green Bay?

jancole1663

KaliRider
Have to take my new G650GS in for it's break in service in a few weeks.
Live in the Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan's UP. Closest dealer is in Green Bay (5 hours away!).
Looking for suggestions on a scenic leisurely route for my first long road trip. Thanks!

Live in the Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan's UP. Closest dealer is in Green Bay (5 hours away!).
Looking for suggestions on a scenic leisurely route for my first long road trip. Thanks!

Anyway is scenic from there! :thumb

Just ride the letter roads. (county)

Take a short ride to Watersmeet and check out Bond Falls if you haven't been there before. Then Hwy 2 east toward Iron River. Before you get there find HWY 55 and head south. 55 is an entertaining road. Once you get to Shawano you can take 29 east (4 lane burn) to Green Bay.

When will you be making the trip? I could meet up with you if things work out.

According to a comment on ADV Thumpers, G650GS thread,yesterday, r.e., "how much this service costs" for your MC model, WHOA! is all I can say!! Owner there says he paid $650 to get an in warranty 1st oil change and a valve clearance check @ dealer. Another owner says they paid $250 for same & questions the diff in amounts- go figure...:bolt
I see these charges & makes helps me understand why I get my hands dirty on my own machines.The $250 figure is more than I pay , which is nothing (for my labor), plus some oil.
I'd sure "need some leisurely scenery" too, if I was getting stuck for a bill near those amounts.:lurk

Take a look at http://www.upcruising.com/?roadsandrides This will help you get through the UP part. Northern Wisconsin has some good riding too through Boulder Junction, Arbor Vitae and Rhinelander.

Thanks so much for great travel suggestions and concerns about the cost of the service. Got some research to do!

The way to Green Bay

According to a comment on ADV Thumpers, G650GS thread,yesterday, r.e., "how much this service costs" for your MC model, WHOA! is all I can say!! Owner there says he paid $650 to get an in warranty 1st oil change and a valve clearance check @ dealer. Another owner says they paid $250 for same & questions the diff in amounts- go figure...:bolt
I see these charges & makes helps me understand why I get my hands dirty on my own machines.The $250 figure is more than I pay , which is nothing (for my labor), plus some oil.
I'd sure "need some leisurely scenery" too, if I was getting stuck for a bill near those amounts.:lurk

What did this have to do with the best way to Green Bay?

Wayne Koppa
71,449 Life

First off, I'm envious that you live in the Keewenaw.
I'm a weekend yooper who rides the gravel and camps in your part of the world. In the winter I ski Bohemia.

Anyhow, Mr. Cannonshot over at ADVRIDER.COM has extensively mapped dual sport routes in the UP and NE Wisconsin.
Check out his maps at http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=2
Most of these routes are best suited for smaller or mid sized bikes.
You could easily turn your 5 hour trip to Green Bay into a all day affair.

I stopped at what was formerly Nick's BMW in DePere last weekend. They have some construction going on. They were not open so I just gawked at the new WC1200s through the window.

Good Luck, James

0091_zps483a7142.jpg

Last edited:
Back