• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R1200RT 2013 Camhead/Touch Up Paint

NATHANMONK

trumpetman
I need to locate someone who makes a touch up paint-pen or spray paint to touch up some scratches on my blue hard bags. Any suggestions?:banghead

You have a couple of options. You can contact Colorrite and get touch-up pens or rattle-cans of paint.
http://www.colorrite.com/

Or you can go to a full line automotive parts store (like NAPA) with your paint code (look under the seat and you'll find that 4 character code) and have them fill a rattle can of paint for you. Not all NAPA's can do this - just some that have invested in the ability to mix paint and fill aerosol cans. NAPA will be cheaper (should be), but there is a difference.

The OEM paint is 2 part - base color and clear coat. The base coat - usually - has a hardener in the paint to make it tough enough so that the paint doesn't lift when the clear coat is laid over the top. This is what you'll encounter if you try a paint from NAPA. They just can't add a hardener because the shelf life of paint with a hardener is hours - not a good solution for aerosol cans. The paint in that case is a one-part paint, and you'll end up going down the wet-sand & polish out process to make it shine up like OEM - almost. The paint from ColorRite is different and you can use their 2-part process with little issue - but it's much more expensive.

Hope you can get away with a touch-up pen. You may still need to do the touch-up - dry - wet sand/rub out - process.

Good luck.

I nearly went mad trying to get touch up paint for my 2011. No one seemed to be able to find N44 as a viable BMW color on their paint charts. I finally found someone who looked at charts closer to see that BMW MOTORCYCLES had a seperate chart from automobiles.

thanks for asking

a little heavy hand on the front brake last week coming into a parking place = scratches on my right bag.

WWW.HOLTBMW.COM

gLASSURIT DEALER (Your OEM paint) knows all codes and paint colors and does custom painting too.

The guys at HOLT are great. They confirmed that the N89 Fluid Grey Metallic crossed over to a M38 code.

And as a side note: I have also used Colorite in the past on other bikes. And although a little expensive, the products that they sell are top notch. They are highly recommended.

Back