• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Motorcycle Trifecta!!!

This morning, I went on the first ride (if you can call it that) of the season to the office on my little 1970 Ct90 AKA "The Minion", as it is a little yellow worker, and so named by my wife. It was 40 degrees, but I was going for a ride, even if it was to the office. And....It started!!

So I got back home, and last night, I was resurrecting the 1973 R75/5. New battery as well, but I was leaking gas from the fuel lines, somewhere in that whole crossover pipe by the air filter, so I swapped out all the fuel lines. Not with the pretty stuff, but the bike isn't so pretty anyway. And....It started! Went on a nice little ride.

And then, the 1963 R69S that has been giving me such heartache. What the hell, I wanted to change the oil after the rebuild, I had the oil, so I got everything ready, tickled the carbs, a few kicks to prime, a bit of gas spilling from a carb, but gentle kicks, and... It started! Went on a nice little ride as well, and then put fresh oil in, and went for ride #2.

I've never had this happen before - all bikes started, all bikes work....I don't know what to do!

You must live well. I on the other hand have an Orange CT90 which had all the wires chewed off inside the battery box last fall by some enterprising mice. I have moved it to the mouse-free attached garage in NH, cleaned out the nest and will begin the coil rewire in a couple of weeks. The R60 is in about 400 pieces, most repainted and ready for reassembly but a long way from a ride. I sold the R80RT that I had ridden for 26 years with never missed a start in all those springs. The R1100R should be ready to go and I'm riding the F650GS back to NH from AZ in two weeks, so part of life is good! On top of it all I have committed to building a small barn this summer! I'm supposed to be retired! Gotta go get to work! LIG

Bikes starting after winter rest

For a while I thought spring had been canceled for lack of interest. I figured there was no reason to disturb the bikes from their long winter nap since there was about ten tons of snow in front of the garage doors. Last week we had some nice weather and did the snow ever melt! Did two rides today. The first was to the hardware store and tonight my '64 R60/2 just wanted to get out of the garage. After all, you can't just let a nice restored BMW roam the county roads by itself. Bobc

Vintage Spring in Michigan

Well, for once, we have some riding weather in Michigan!

RD Hudson, I feel the mice issue. In my last /5, I opened up the air cleaner to find some mice (actual mice, not just the nest!) after a winter in the garage.

Of course, this year, I found three nuggets of dog food on the little ledge under the transmission of the /5. Since this wasn't a performance enhancement I devised, I'm thinking this was the handiwork of my motorcycling mice...

Never brag. It angers the motorcycle gods...

So now I can't get the /5 to start for love or money. Put a post on the airhead forums about that drama. I think that when you start a vintage bike, the rule has to be you say nothing and ride. You have been given a gift - don't discuss it, ride it...

Back