• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Little Worried

Yes, Yes and Yes. I love this thing. Its blood is my blood.. I checked it every which way you can and so did MAX BMW techs. What troop of enthusiasts are more qualified than MAX... They are serious about this stuff and offered to come pick the bike up and work it over. Im a Little Worried. :confused: I just want to ride my crack pipe... if they take it I may not get it back for days... weeks.... months... I may have to mortgage my home to get another... :help

Hi All,
First off I love my blue 2013 KGT. Haven't noticed anything physically wrong other than the crunchy transmission which I am assured is typical for this model. I remember my K13 tranny was a little crunchy too. It only has ~2500 and it recently had its initial checkup at 750 miles and it's first oil change. At~2100 miles the Oil Alert light came on and I immediately stopped and checked it 30 times because I couldn't believe that it wasn't registering on the dip stick. :eek I topped it off and went directly to the dealer. They looked it over and confirmed that an oil alert code was thrown and I wasn't imagining it. They changed the oil out again, filled it up and on my way I went with instructions to check at my next destination which was 220 miles away. That destination revealed that it was nearly 3/4 of a quart low. I let her sit over night, checked again with no change. I warmed her up and then let her sit a few minutes... no change. I topper her off again and went 260 miles ( in one trip).
At my final destination it was only down about a 1/4 from where I had topped it off. Dealer wants to do some specific tests...:scratch anyone experiencing anything like this or have any idea what I might be in store for? BTW... no dripping or smoking noticed. This thing is so ridiculously fast that Im jacket flappin everywhere I go with a sh!t eatin grin so I haven't noticed if there is a deficit in HP.

YIKES!

That is Exactly how things started to go bad on my 1stt K16, and it eventually turned out to be a cracked Piston...X2. (See the thread 2013 k16 cracked piston) Make SURE they Compression test it!

1st time this happened.. the dealer did not really look into it much.. But within a 1000 miles of that.. The piston totally let go and it was the start of the End of that Kbike for me.

YIKES!

That is Exactly how things started to go bad on my 1stt K16, and it eventually turned out to be a cracked Piston...X2. (See the thread 2013 k16 cracked piston) Make SURE they Compression test it!

1st time this happened.. the dealer did not really look into it much.. But within a 1000 miles of that.. The piston totally let go and it was the start of the End of that Kbike for me.

Yikes is right... I sent you a priv. message RK601. I will keep all posted maybe even open a new post of add to yours. Thanks!

you are so right!

Yes, Yes and Yes. I love this thing. Its blood is my blood.. I checked it every which way you can and so did MAX BMW techs. What troop of enthusiasts are more qualified than MAX... They are serious about this stuff and offered to come pick the bike up and work it over. Im a Little Worried. :confused: I just want to ride my crack pipe... if they take it I may not get it back for days... weeks.... months... I may have to mortgage my home to get another... :help

Crack pipe! That's funny and really describes how great, ( addictive ) , these bikes are. If mines blows up tomorrow, I'll have my face planted at the local dealers showroom glass door the next day picking out my color, waiting for them to open!

MAX has my K75 ("Special K" :heart ... a moped compared to the big 1600) getting TLC lube and other geriatric care. When she is done I will ride Freyja up, swap her out with SPecK for these tests. Weird... like waiting for a dark medical diagnosis.:uhoh

I was on the fence after reading all the issue people were having. I decided to take the plunge and purchased a 2013. 6000 miles and no issues. This bike is amazing and still puts a smile on my face.

Yes sir, totally agree, but I was talking mainly about the specs of the two bikes. HP, Torque, etc. Those things you can't argue with. 2 cylinders versus 6. From BMW's website:

RT K1600GTL
Capacity 1,170 cc 1,649 cc
Rated output 125 hp (92 kW) at 7,750 rpm 160 hp (118 kw) at 7,750 rpm
Max. torque 92 lb/ft (125 Nm) at 6,500 rpm 129 lb/ft (175 Nm) at 5,250 rpm

Both do one or two up touring very nicely. Both can get you in a lot of trouble with the highway patrol.
With all my RTs (about 4 of them) I've never thought- "If only I was riding something bigger and heavier with more HP."
And I have owned a couple K1200s. Not a K16 though.

I traded my 2300 c.c. R3s for the k16gtl a 2012 with 30,000 miles on it, 3 weeks 2500 miles i'm already trying to figure a way to get a newer model with the hill start, ahh what a sweet ride. I got an extended warranty for just under $1500. 36 mos 0 deductable but I can't repair modern bikes. We get the same threads on the R3 forum some of the early models would pop out of 2nd gear on hard acceleration and a small % of those would grenade the gearbox but to read the thread you'd be amazed to see one on the road, it sounds like bmw has the k 1600 sorted and it may be my last bike. (at least that's what everyone keeps telling me).

I was one of the concerned people and was on the fence about the 1600gt. I am so glad that i purchased the bike it still puts a smile on my face. I have not had any issues with the bike.

Back