• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bergen BMW

Yes, despite the fact that all the BMW signage is still there, they gave up the BMW part of the dealership.
MAX BMW is indeed taking over the area for BMW, but they just had another location grand opening in Connecticut, and the word is, the search for a North Jersey location is ongoing, and don't expect anything to open until next year.

A Harley friend on mine walked into the Bergen HD dealership with the intention of buying a new helmet. Walked out with an almost brand new (2013 with 5000 miles) r1200rt. Got a great deal and the HD portion of the dealer wants to un-load what they have left from the no longer BMW end. So they are still dealing with some leftover inventory. As far as I know no new bikes or parts. They are no longer a licensed dealer.

Really leaving that huge demographic with nothing as close as they are used to. Surprised Max didn't already have a location in the same area picked out before they bought out the dealership license. I know they opened new in CT. but that is a hike for Northern NJ.

Lo and behold I was driving by Bergen today and there was a crane lifting the 35 foot tall silver freestanding BMW Motorcycles sign that was at the rear of the property, near RT 17.

Fess up, you guys. Was it one of you grabbing a souvenir ? :thumb

Did Bergen BMW close? When I try going to their web site the link fails. But no issue going to their HD web site?

HD Corporate was not impressed with the BMWs sharing showroom real estate. Obviously, there are other HD/BMW dealerships out there, but the brands did not play well together in this instance.

That explanation seems hard to believe. The dealership is 25,000 sq. feet and I kid you not, the BMW sales floor was around 500 sq. feet. That's five hundred, not a typo. 25'x20'. BMW was always treated worse than a red heated step-child there.

That explanation seems hard to believe. The dealership is 25,000 sq. feet and I kid you not, the BMW sales floor was around 500 sq. feet. That's five hundred, not a typo. 25'x20'. BMW was always treated worse than a red heated step-child there.

Believe it or not. I happen to know for sure that the BMW franchise was not well received by HD corporate.

I believe you, I wasn't meaning to say you didn't know, just that they were never treated fairly, IMO. Sorry if it came out wrong. That dealership has been in trouble with HD corporate since it was built. It seems to be thriving now, but for a long long time things were tough. The owner's attitude may have something to do with its past troubles.

I believe you, I wasn't meaning to say you didn't know, just that they were never treated fairly, IMO. Sorry if it came out wrong. That dealership has been in trouble with HD corporate since it was built. It seems to be thriving now, but for a long long time things were tough. The owner's attitude may have something to do with its past troubles.

My intention is to not get into a pissing match with you over this, but I really don't know who you are talking about as far as the owner having a bad attitude. The family that owns this dealership has owned it for almost 40 years and the dealership has never been in "trouble" with HD Corp. The disapproval of the BMW franchise by HD Corporate not withstanding.

As far as the BMW clientele not feeling welcome, I think the BMW customers that did come to this dealership were not too pleased having to rub elbows with the Harley crowd. As I stated earlier, there are other BMW/HD dealerships operating out there and I wouldn't be surprised if the same dynamic is present. The owners felt that HD was what has sustained their business for 40 years and decided to focus on that.

Last edited:
My intention is to not get into a pissing match with you over this, but I really don't know who you are talking about as far as the owner having a bad attitude. The family that owns this dealership has owned it for almost 40 years and the dealership has never been in "trouble" with HD Corp. The disapproval of the BMW franchise by HD Corporate not withstanding.

As far as the BMW clientele not feeling welcome, I think the BMW customers that did come to this dealership were not too pleased having to rub elbows with the Harley crowd. As I stated earlier, there are other BMW/HD dealerships operating out there and I wouldn't be surprised if the same dynamic is present. The owners felt that HD was what has sustained their business for 40 years and decided to focus on that.

I also have no intention of getting into a pissing match either. You sound close to either the dealership or the owners or both. Just because we may have different information and experiences doesnt mean either of us are wrong. But dont say I am wrong and there never was problems with HD corporate, I know better. I also happen to have had a bad experience both on the H-D end with the RUDE owner 10 years ago and the BMW end a few months ago... I'm not saying they should have put the same resources into the smaller BMW end, but to have a BMW customer arrive with his still under warranty bike on a tow truck and have to wait a solid hour for the one BMW service writer on duty while three H-D service writers stand around and joke with customers is not a way to endear yourself to the BMW crowd. I bet MAX will do a much better job of taking care of the customer.

I also have no intention of getting into a pissing match either. You sound close to either the dealership or the owners or both. Just because we may have different information and experiences doesnt mean either of us are wrong. But dont say I am wrong and there never was problems with HD corporate, I know better. I also happen to have had a bad experience both on the H-D end with the RUDE owner 10 years ago and the BMW end a few months ago... I'm not saying they should have put the same resources into the smaller BMW end, but to have a BMW customer arrive with his still under warranty bike on a tow truck and have to wait a solid hour for the one BMW service writer on duty while three H-D service writers stand around and joke with customers is not a way to endear yourself to the BMW crowd. I bet MAX will do a much better job of taking care of the customer.

I don't know what your experience was at the HD or BMW end, nor was I addressing that.
I was just disputing your claim that this dealership is or was in trouble with HD Corporate.

I don't know what your experience was at the HD or BMW end, nor was I addressing that.
I was just disputing your claim that this dealership is or was in trouble with HD Corporate.

First, what I said about the corporate friction is/was true.

Second, No, you also attempted to explain away BMW people feeling unwelcome there and attributed it to the BMW people not being comfortable rubbing elbows with Harley people. That is quite insulting to BMW people. I supplied a personal experience with regard to second class treatment of me, a BMW person. I also had a quite bad experience when I was a H-D customer several years ago and was treated VERY rudely by- I think you know who- (maybe your relative?) when myself and a friend were looking to buy. We were insulted and given quite an attitude, and we left, and we bought two Harleys at another dealership. Their loss.

First, what I said about the corporate friction is/was true.

Second, No, you also attempted to explain away BMW people feeling unwelcome there and attributed it to the BMW people not being comfortable rubbing elbows with Harley people. That is quite insulting to BMW people. I supplied a personal experience with regard to second class treatment of me, a BMW person. I also had a quite bad experience when I was a H-D customer several years ago and was treated VERY rudely by- I think you know who- (maybe your relative?) when myself and a friend were looking to buy. We were insulted and given quite an attitude, and we left, and we bought two Harleys at another dealership. Their loss.

You don't like this dealership,either the HD or BMW side, that's your right.
You are dead wrong about this dealership having trouble with HD corporate. Do you have proof? I doubt it.
The Harley clientele was not thrilled with the BMW presence either, I am told. And, that ultimately, is what was most important to the owners.

Speaking for the owners quite a bit, aren't you? Maybe you are annoyed because you directly or indirectly through policy had something to do with the way I and others were treated?

What constitutes proof? In writing? No, I'm not going to post every detail so I can be harassed or possibly sued. I'm sure this explanation won't go far enough for you, but it is what it is. Suffice it to say I once had a continuing, ongoing connection in Milwaukee who shall remain nameless and their position unidentified who eventually shared a few things with me after I initially complained about my treatment at the dealership. I at the time also had a police motorcycle relationship with H-D.

You're both pretty!

Never bought a bike from either the HD or BMW portions of the dealer but hate to see anyone close up shop or cease carrying one or another brand of the bikes they are known for. Leaves owners stuck in the lurch especially if you are light on the wrench and some of these new bikes are so complicated...

Last time I was at Bergen was just before July 4th last year. Just needed to buy some tune-up/oil change parts and didn't feel like going to the dealer in Manhattan (good dealer BTW) on a Saturday.

Folks in the Bergen Parts Dept were just as nice as anywhere and for the few the times I'd been there never noticed any animosity between the HD or BMW crowd. In fact it seemed to be a pretty active BMW group associated with the dealer with organized rides & trips.
If there is or was some sort of inside scoop why they stopped being a BMW dealer it really doesn't matter a this point. It's just too bad. Hope Max sets up shop nearby. Bergen County, NJ has the type of demographic that is a goldmine of current and future customers.

Any chance you guys can give this a rest?
TIA
OM

Sure, sorry OM. I hope you can understand the wanting to respond especially if someone calls you a liar here someday. Cheers!

Edit- Mike, I did recall receiving good, caring service from the parts dept, just not sales or service.

Sure, sorry OM. I hope you can understand the wanting to respond especially if someone calls you a liar here someday. Cheers!

Edit- Mike, I did recall receiving good, caring service from the parts dept, just not sales or service.

Yes, OM. There are also people here who feel the need to respond when good people who have run a business for almost 40 years are slandered. Cheers!

Back