• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel pump failure '07RT 106000kms

The Blue Max
Just out of winter storage, use Stabil while stored, filled up with fresh fuel and it ran great, then 200 kms later, engine died like it was out of gas. Tried restart & no go at first, opened throttle wide & would start and then die. Left it off for a bit, it started but ran poorly & only at high rpm, then died again & had it towed home. Will trouble shoot with Haynes this weekend. Fwiw, fuel strip failed at 60K kms three years ago & has run fine until now. Anyone else had this happen? :scratch

Shore sounds like it could be the controller. From what I can smell from here.
Mine went out in Mexico.
dc

The recall is on the flange, not the fpc.
There was a fpc recall years ago, but only on the GSs.
That's USA.
Canada might be different.
dc

Get the GS911 on the bike. What is the code.

Last edited:
Hi there, fellow Canuk

Can't help technically.

Noticed your mileage on the 07 bike is almost exactly the same as on my 05 Caravan. And, you are out West too!

In my defence, my 20,000 km on the bike does include a Toronto - Victoria - Toronto loop.

Hope you get this solved quickly, as time is a wasting for you.

Followed troubleshooting procedure outlined in the Haynes, pulled the fuel pump out to test, it runs just fine, filter is clean inside + out. Reread racer 7 posts, his RT crapped out pretty much the same as mine, just before mine died for good, it let off a small puff of white smoke, didn't smell oil/gas related. I don't have a GS911 but will look into the controller further. Only other thing the Haynes mentions is the control pressure regulator.:scratch

Removed the controller, found dirt in the bottom same as others have reported but no apparent sign of water. With the multi-meter, there is approx 3.44 ohm resistance + on blue wire and - on yellow wire altho the reading fluctuates plus/minus .10 ohms. Reversing the probes reads infinity and the continuity test does not indicate a pass. Am well past warranty, also consider myself lucky to have gone this far problem free. Before I order a new controller, can any of you electrical gurus offer an opinion on these readings?

Just tested with the multi meter again and all readings are out of limit, guess finally know the problem.

I don't know that anyone ever had any problem with the pressure regulator.
But I know they replace the controllers like candy, or like a merry go round, or something where they replace a lot of them.
On mine (quit in Mexico) I had some real gurus post and a lot of posts, 9 pages worth, and no one ever mentioned testing the thing.
I put the GS911 on the bike and it said possible controller, or something.
It could be something else. But I never even heard of a test for it.
dc

If the new controller does make it run, save the old one. It can be made into a nice by-pass, which, if you carry, you will never need.

If your VOM shows you've got 12V on any of the wires at the connector at the top of the fpc and its doesn't run, very likely the fpc is toast.

The GS-911 would show one of at least 4 codes (there may be many more, BMW publishes no codes list or even explanations of their system AFAIK) indicating no power at the fuel pump.

Your bike was built with the old style fpc which is the more failure prone version.

Be glad you're not in Mexico or worse..

Any way you can get 12V to those pins under the blue connector will run the bike if the fpc is dead.

Bought a new controller, looks life its black expoy coated, ran a thin bead of silicone to seal it & bike fired right up. Thanks for the pointers etc guys. Gary.

It's anodized. I believe that is anodized.
And there have been reports of failure on them, perhaps less so than the original ones, tho'.
Make the old one into a by-pass. Carry it with you, then you will never need it. It's not really insurance, it's a guarantee.
dc

Back