• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

20 watt halogen lamp instead of the stock 4 watt parking lamp?

chunk

Hi all. As the title implies, I am thinking of replacing the 4 watt parking lamp with a 20 watt halogen lamp for a day time running light. Anyone done this? I was wondering if the wiring and socket will handle the extra current? I think about 1.5 amps is about what it will pull. I'm guessing it's okay, just wondering if anyone has done it and how it works for a day time R/L? Cheers.
1976 r75/6

I have a '71 R50/5 and a '74 R90/6 and I used to ride them both day and night all over the country. I converted both over to Osram 12V20W on the parking light bulb. The other numbers listed on the bulb 64115
Ran the parking bulb on both bikes as my daytime bulb to save the battery and it worked. I did no other mods to the bulb receptacle or wiring. I'm no electrician. I think it saved the life of the battery. The bulb was bright enough in the day to make the head light look like it was on. This setup worked for me.

I ran that 20w bulb for many years on my 77Rs, only once got stopped by the police who said my headlight was not bright enough.

Hi all. As the title implies, I am thinking of replacing the 4 watt parking lamp with a 20 watt halogen lamp for a day time running light. Anyone done this? I was wondering if the wiring and socket will handle the extra current? I think about 1.5 amps is about what it will pull. I'm guessing it's okay, just wondering if anyone has done it and how it works for a day time R/L? Cheers.
1976 r75/6

I've done that for years..................Rod.

Thanks. The lamps seem easy enough to find. Now I'm looking for the best quality to price ratio. I've seen them as high as $12.00 . That seemed a bit pricey to me, but maybe that's what they cost.. cheers.

$20.00 in Canada, just sayin'

I've gotten several inquiries on where I purchased the 20 watt halogen bulb. I bought it from Amazon.com.

Jimmylee, I had a hard time responding to your email through the website email. I'm using my phone, anyway if you didn't receive my response I posted the information here. Cheers

I just finished installing the 20 watt halogen lamp. It's very bright, which is good. As long as the associated wiring and handle bar switch is up to the additional current draw, it will be a nice improvement. I did notice that the parking light stays on with the head light, so that will add about 1-3/4 amps to the circuit. I hope there's enough head room. I see others have had success with the 20 watt conversion so I won't worry about the added load I guess.
Thanks again for the advice. Cheers from So. Ca.

Parking light

Did you use a relay? Snowbums article says that although not necessary it will improve light output and prolong switch life. Saw some possibilities at www.cycleterminal.com for what its worth. Not affiliated, just thought it may help.

Years ago I added one to the headlight shell on my 81 R100RT. It and the head light are switched thru a marine rocker switch on the dash.
I wanted to be able to turn the head light off and just run the halogen.

Back