• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin 2610 - couldn't resist

Ok, I'm getting there.. I'm now up to 2 GPS's after buying a 2610 today...

They have them at Amazon for $549 right now and I couldn't resist..

So, if I wire it and my 276C both up to the bike I can have two women whispering in my ears when I drive :D ??

Hotspice said:
So, if I wire it and my 276C both up to the bike I can have two women whispering in my ears when I drive :D ??

and they will both be saying, "off route. recalculating." :D

Hotspice said:
Ok, I'm getting there.. I'm now up to 2 GPS's after buying a 2610 today...

They have them at Amazon for $549 right now and I couldn't resist..

Funny, it's $619 right now?!?

username said:
and they will both be saying, "off route. recalculating." :D

Gotta make sure I set them both for about 10mi off route warnings so they don't start naggin too early :D

jacco said:
Funny, it's $619 right now?!?

That's got to be one of the fastest price changes I've seen.. Not even 12hrs... I'd been watchin it for a couple days and it was going down and this morning hit the $549 .. I wonder if they do that until a certain number are sold and then jack it back up..

Hotspice said:
Gotta make sure I set them both for about 10mi off route warnings so they don't start naggin too early :D

You can set that? How?

Belg said:
You can set that? How?

On the 276c in the main menu hit the alarm section. The first tab is NAV and in there is a section for your off course alarm.

Ok, truth be known mines not really at 10mi :D but it is bumped up so that it doesn't go off when I'm getting off the slab for gas. It's a blessing in that situation but in city driving I could see it being a curse.

Not sure how the 2610 will handle that though.

Hotspice said:
Not sure how the 2610 will handle that though.

Can't check on mine right now, sent it back to Garmin for repair :(
It kept switching to a different mode (e.g. cursor mode, or all of a sudden giving some popup with the current address while my hands were not even near the thing). Some days this happened frequently, on other days not at all. I assumed it was caused by vibration, but after 2 months of suicide attempts (=putting it back to the mode I wanted while riding some backroad @ 60 mph) I decided to contact customer service anyway to see if others had the same complaint. They think it's not normal, gave me an RMA#. Shipped it yesterday, should get it back in 3 weeks from now...

OK, sorry to bother y'all with this, had to whine to somebody :nyah

jacco said:
Can't check on mine right now, sent it back to Garmin for repair :(
It kept switching to a different mode (e.g. cursor mode, or all of a sudden giving some popup with the current address while my hands were not even near the thing). Some days this happened frequently, on other days not at all. I assumed it was caused by vibration, but after 2 months of suicide attempts (=putting it back to the mode I wanted while riding some backroad @ 60 mph) I decided to contact customer service anyway to see if others had the same complaint. They think it's not normal, gave me an RMA#. Shipped it yesterday, should get it back in 3 weeks from now...

OK, sorry to bother y'all with this, had to whine to somebody :nyah

jacco - this is a great post. mine does the same thing, and i've been trying to characterize what causes it. maybe i'll give them a call...

i love this forum.

username said:
jacco - this is a great post. mine does the same thing, and i've been trying to characterize what causes it. maybe i'll give them a call...

i love this forum.

That's bad news. I guess. So it might be vibration after all then. Or a bad batch, when did you buy yours? I posted a question about this earlier. I don't remember where, either here (bmwmoa), or on the rounder forum. I didn't get a response to that, so I assumed that it was just me...

Why don't you wait 3 weeks and I'll let you know what happens to mine. Or does your warranty expire before that? If you do want to send it in I'll PM you the name/email of the garmin customer service rep so that they know it's not a single case.

If it is vibration they might be able to add a software option to force it to stay in the same mode no matter what unless the speed is less than 5 mph. Or something like that. They seem to be biker-friendly, with their mount and all, so who knows...

PS Mine is on the garmin mount, which is attached via the shortest RAM arm to the windshield mount of my bike (see pic somewhere in this thread).

Anyone else with this problem?

Waypoint mode

My 2610 went into the waypoint mode on one ride. I blame it on the rough road. I bought mine on the re-furb market. I will probably try it again. If it "locks" then off it goes, before the rallies start after the first of the year.
I have mine mounted on a RCU shelf with the 'permanent' mount.

jacco said:
That's bad news. I guess. So it might be vibration after all then. Or a bad batch, when did you buy yours? I posted a question about this earlier. I don't remember where, either here (bmwmoa), or on the rounder forum. I didn't get a response to that, so I assumed that it was just me...

Why don't you wait 3 weeks and I'll let you know what happens to mine. Or does your warranty expire before that? If you do want to send it in I'll PM you the name/email of the garmin customer service rep so that they know it's not a single case.

If it is vibration they might be able to add a software option to force it to stay in the same mode no matter what unless the speed is less than 5 mph. Or something like that. They seem to be biker-friendly, with their mount and all, so who knows...

PS Mine is on the garmin mount, which is attached via the shortest RAM arm to the windshield mount of my bike (see pic somewhere in this thread).

Anyone else with this problem?

username said:

i love this forum.

Mine doesn't switch modes, but very occasionally goes into a generic map mode with no data displayed. If I hit Page it goes back to the mode it was in with correct info. Has only ever happened on the bike, never in the car.

SCDorman said:
Mine doesn't switch modes, but very occasionally goes into a generic map mode with no data displayed. If I hit Page it goes back to the mode it was in with correct info. Has only ever happened on the bike, never in the car.

Neither has mine (misbehaved in the cage that is). But I've only used it a few times there. Based on that I guesstimated that vibration might be the cause. But I didn't feel like driving the cage down my favorite roads for a few weekends to make sure... :bikes

I see they are down to $550 again today. I am sooooo tempted!!

Barry

Garmin sent me a replacement unit, which arrived on Monday. Went all very smooth and fast, I got the new (refurbished I think) unit exactly two weeks after shipping mine out there using FedEx ground. The only problem is that they forgot to include the protective cover (rubber strip thingy on the back) for the usb port and external antenna. I asked for one by email but no reply so far...

If we don't get too much snow tonight (they claim 3-6 inches) I will try it over the weekend and post my findings.

jacco said:
Garmin sent me a replacement unit, which arrived on Monday. Went all very smooth and fast, I got the new (refurbished I think) unit exactly two weeks after shipping mine out there using FedEx ground. The only problem is that they forgot to include the protective cover (rubber strip thingy on the back) for the usb port and external antenna. I asked for one by email but no reply so far...

If we don't get too much snow tonight (they claim 3-6 inches) I will try it over the weekend and post my findings.

Sorry, forgot all about this. (Consider that good news.) I've used my replacement unit for at least 1k miles now without a single glitch!

Maybe I should add that I've received an older model of the 2610 as a replacement. It's virtually identical to the one I had, but the rubber cover I talked about above was not included since the older ones didn't have it. Garmin offered to exchange it for a newer refurbished model, but I ended up accepting the 10 (!) covers that they sent me in the mail. These covers cannot be screwed to the housing, as they would be on the newer model, but so far I haven't lost one and I have 9 spares...

2610/2720

username said:
fellow GPS enthusiasts,

amazon had the garmin 2610 GPS on sale for $609 last week. i hemmed. i hawed. i said stupid things like, "well, i told myself i'd buy that unit when it was $600."

i checked back today, thinking i might get it, and lo and behold, it was down to $579. cha-ching, trigger pulled. i should have it sometime next week.

dang am i excited to get this unit.

just thought i'd share.

You might want to try out a 2720. You can get them (refur) for about $650 from tvnav. the 2610 is great, but the 2720 can be seen in direct sun, has all of NA pre-loaded, has 3D view and actually names the the specific direction (streets/etc.) prompts as they come up.

Back