• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin 2610 - couldn't resist

Hotspice said:
Mapcase?? Heck, half the time I don't have my tankbag on so I carry it in my left chest pocket of the stich.. Get some odd looks when I'm holdin it up in front of my face on the Interstate and fiddlin with it..
:hide

I think I'm going to have to look into one of those remotes..

Dick's got a nice one called a remote remote that's wireless. I've got a bad case of remote envy or something.

eap said:
OK - I haven't seen anywhere yet as to what kind of speaker plugs into the power cord if it is hard wired. I know the 'cigarret lighter' adapter has a speaker, but I hard wired my 2610 to the bike so I can use the on board power adapter for other things... So is there a littel water proof speaker?

Oh - here's my good deal - I got the refurbed 2610 for $530, then added RAM mounts and RAM clip, hardwire kit and 1GB flash for a total of around $680.

it's got a little plug. i think it's for a headphone jack, but i have to admit, i've ignored it. i listen to an ipod when i ride, and i dont have an autocomm, so i can't mix in a second audio source. i dont really want to listen to that lady boss me around on the bike anyway. (that's that the bike is for!) ;)

KBasa said:
Dick's got a nice one called a remote remote that's wireless. I've got a bad case of remote envy or something.

Works like a champ! I have the Griffin "AirClick". $40 at most places that sell
iPod stuff (like CompUSA or Fry's). Here's a linky.

Ian

Kenny2 said:
Jacco,
SNIP

EAP...
the speaker is the female plug, 3.5 mm on the power cord. At least it is the audio output...
Thanks JACCO - well that's much smaller than my ipod headset or any any other I have around the house. I really can't see connecting this up to a set of earplugs and will look for that connector and a little tiny-mini-speaker to mount - I kind of liked the audio speaker - but not enough to connect it up into my helmet - unless I had music and other audio desires... and that requires more sophisticated black box tech. I rarely travel with music....
Anyone with leads on tiny speakers (external like for mounting next to the garmin)?

GPS buffs...take note - help is on the way!

ROCKET CARRIES NEW GPS SATELLITE INTO SPACE
Monday, September 26, 2005

"CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (AP) -- A Boeing Delta 2 lifted off from its seaside pad shortly before midnight Sunday, carrying into space the first of a new generation of Global Positioning System satellites.

The dramatic night launch was a positive milestone for the mission, which had been delayed multiple times over the past six months by technical issues. The rocket created a halo effect as it passed through thin, low clouds.
The Lockheed Martin-built satellite, dubbed GPS IIR-M, is the first in a series of eight new spacecraft designed to provide stronger signal strength, better protection against jamming and additional signals for both military and civilian users.

The mission comes on the heels of the 10th anniversary of the GPS constellation becoming fully operational in April 1995. The system includes 24 operating satellites as well as a number of spares in orbit.

One of the biggest benefits to nonmilitary users is the addition of a second civilian signal, said Air Force Col. Allan Ballenger, who oversees the GPS Program Office. "I think this, it's a pretty huge step," he said. "The military has been using two frequencies from day one of GPS. This will be first time that we are adding a second frequency for civilian users."

The second signal will provide more accuracy by compensating for ionic interference in the atmosphere. But civilians will not be able to reap all the benefits of the new system until more of the new satellites are in orbit, Ballenger said."
`
`
`
A Boeing Delta 2 rocket lifts off from Cape Canaveral Sunday.

SlashFiveTourer said:
The second signal will provide more accuracy by compensating for ionic interference in the atmosphere. But civilians will not be able to reap all the benefits of the new system until more of the new satellites are in orbit, Ballenger said.

and until they buy themselves a new bi-band GPS receiver...

My 2610 Unit Arrived Today..... :) ...I Am Anxious To Have It Installed On My Bike... ( Which Will Be Today) Can't Wait To Try It Out....I Love The Features Of This Unit Much Better Than The One I Have In The Cage..... :p
The Price Of 579.00 Was Cheaper Than What It Was In December When I First Almost Bought This Unit.... ;)

i hear you! i still get excited about mine. i used it while "evacuating" from galveston last week, and i am convinced that it saved me several hours of time.

next i need to get some of those static-y screen protectors for it, so my gloved hand doesnt scratch the heck out of it.

MarkF asked me via PM about two weeks ago (sorry this took so long...) to make some pics of how I mounted the GPS on my R1100R. Below you can find one picture, and way too many can be found here:
http://www.woodenshoesabroad.net/jadz/windshield+gps/index.html

FWIW, I used the following RAM mount components:
- RAM-B-238U (diamond plate with 1 inch ball)
- RAM-B-231ZU (0.75-1 inch rail mount base w. 1 inch ball)
- RAP-319U (plastic filler so that you can use the above with 0.5 inch bar)
- RAM-B-201U-A (1.75" arm for 1 inch ball)
I had to make a plastic spacer (white in pics) since the windshield mount is too thin.

Hope this helps anyone,
Jacco

EDIT: Replaced picture by smaller version...

Attachments

• IMG_0139.small.jpg
    IMG_0139.small.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
jacco said:
I think you're right, the R and RT handlebars look very much the same. I'll check out this Base Kit II.

Thanks,
Jacco

But the newer R11R have the switches in the middle.

P.S. I just bought the Quest. I wanted something smaller and less expensive.

I bought the Garmin 2620 before I bought the K1200GT. I have the mount and wiring set up to use the 2620, but frankly the amount of vibration and shock that it sees on the bike have me concerned about crashing the micro hard drive.

I wonder if the micro hard drive unit can be replaced with a 2GB CF card - I don't know if the MHD is directly attached to the motherboard or plugs into a socket. If it's the latter, I wonder if anyone has come up with an adapter to go from the MHD to the CF card. Have any experts torn into a 2620?

If not, I guess I'll have to order a 2610 and a 2GB CF card for the bike. :dunno

Rusty

2003 K1200GT
1971 Honda CB750K1

RustyJC said:
I bought the Garmin 2620 before I bought the K1200GT. I have the mount and wiring set up to use the 2620, but frankly the amount of vibration and shock that it sees on the bike have me concerned about crashing the micro hard drive.

I wonder if the micro hard drive unit can be replaced with a 2GB CF card - I don't know if the MHD is directly attached to the motherboard or plugs into a socket. If it's the latter, I wonder if anyone has come up with an adapter to go from the MHD to the CF card. Have any experts torn into a 2620?

If not, I guess I'll have to order a 2610 and a 2GB CF card for the bike. :dunno

Rusty

2003 K1200GT
1971 Honda CB750K1

Do you still have warranty on the 2620? If not I would open it up to look inside. However, the problem with these integrated thingies is that it might simply refuse to recognize anything else than the BOBO-brand hard drive that came with it. I'd send an e-mail to garmin about it, who knows. If you say that you know that this will void your warrantly but that you're considering it anyway, blah, blah, they might reply. Otherwise, you only wasted 10 minutes of yout time...

RustyJC said:

Rusty

2003 K1200GT
1971 Honda CB750K1

rusty - i can't answer your question as i have not disassembled my unit. but i can tell you that you are a guy, so having a couple of spare GPSes around is perfectly ok. :thumb.

you can also ebay your 2620 and recover some of your $ if you wish.

username said:
rusty - i can't answer your question as i have not disassembled my unit. but i can tell you that you are a guy, so having a couple of spare GPSes around is perfectly ok. :thumb.
I can see trying this on my wife. "But, dear, a man can't ever have too many Garmin GPSes!" :fight

Rusty

RustyJC said:
I can see trying this on my wife. "But, dear, a man can't ever have too many Garmin GPSes!" :fight

Rusty

there is a lesson here, and it applies to everyone here: this is ALL about how you've chosen your friends. your job right now is to go find a guy with about 5 GPSes and become friends with him. then, if you have two, you still seem "normal."

right now, your wife probably thinks that it is normal to own ZERO GPSes and so by owning one, you are abnormal. instead of trying to move "normal" you should try to move "abnormal." this is best done through friends. relatives are even better. for example, my FIL has about four GPSes, maybe more. he even bought one for my MIL as an xmas gift one time, and he KNEW she didnt want to use it! it was really a gift for himself! (he's got serious nads.) so i currently have two GPSes myself, but i'm "normal" because my SO's dad has so many. even better, after i got my 2610, which she thought was too expensive, i was vindicated. FIL visited, and i said, "check out my new GPS! and he said, "aww, i've had one of those for over a year. it's a good unit."

other friends/relatives that it's good to have:

- one who drinks too much.
- one with a crazy long/shaggy beard.
- one fatter than you.
- one with way more motorycles than you.
- one with more riding gear than you.
- one who takes more solo trips/trips with friends than you.
- one with more cars than you.
- one who mows the lawn less frequently.

let these people set the rail for you and your wife. your job then becomes to be *less* of a "screw up" than these other people are. ;)

remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun the other campers.

username said:
remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun the other campers.
It's even better than that! Actually, I just have to outrun one other camper. :laugh

Ummm.....how many Garmin GPSes do you own? :violin

Rusty

RustyJC said:
It's even better than that! Actually, I just have to outrun one other camper. :laugh

i never know how hungry the bear is, so i try to have a little cushion there. it doesn't hurt to squirt some honey on anyone you deem "expendable." :D

RustyJC said:
Ummm.....how many Garmin GPSes do you own? :violin

Rusty

two. I don't think i'm your guy. Make friends with someone like rob nye, he's got two on ONE bike. :D

Well, I could be in trouble here. A 2610 for the bike would make 3 GPSes - an Alpine-based DVD unit that was factory OEM in my Acura 3.2TL-S, the 2620 for the truck/RV and now a 2610 for the bike. Does anyone here own more than THREE GPSes? I need someone that I can point to and say, "See, honey, I'm not as bad as (fill in the blank)!" :dance

Rusty

username said:
there is a lesson here, and it applies to everyone here: this is ALL about how you've chosen your friends. your job right now is to go find a guy .....other friends...that it's good to have:

- one who drinks too much.
- one with a crazy long/shaggy beard.
- one fatter than you.
- one with way more motorycles than you.
- one with more riding gear than you.
- one who takes more solo trips/trips with friends than you.
- one with more cars than you.
- one who mows the lawn less frequently.

let these people set the rail for you and your wife. your job then becomes to be *less* of a "screw up" than these other people are. ;) ....

Geez, YOU want to BE MY FRIEND!!! :brad

Back